1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I guess I know what my Dad's getting for Father's Day

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by KevinB, Jun 11, 2007.

1. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

My folks and I were back in Michigan visiting family, staying in separate rooms in a motel in the boonies. One night they were calling for huge winds (75 mph) and possibly tornadoes. My parents have already been through the ordeal of losing power in a motel, but I double-checked. "So, Dad, you guys got a flashlight in case we lose power tonight?" ":censored:, I always carry one of those little squeeze lights in my kit, but I didn't bring it this time." His idea of a little squeeze flashlight is one of those horrendous Eveready throwaway keychain things.

I pulled the Photon off my keyring and handed it to him. I had an X1 as backup. We didn't need huge lights, just something to keep from bumping into walls in the dark and to light up the stairs in an emergency. He was astounded. He couldn't believe something so tiny could put out so much light for so long. ":censored:! Something this small I might actually have with me when I need it."

We never got the really damaging winds, and I left a couple of days before they did. Right before I left he said, "I'll give you back that little flashlight when we get back home."

Time for another trip to REI. He also has a Mini Mag as his main emergency flashlight. His birthday's coming up, too. I'm debating between an SF G2 and an X03. And a box of batteries.

Kevin B.

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, he already did carry a Mini Mag, so he wasn't technically of the Unprepared persuasion. However, he was in dire need of some upgrading! Be careful you don't show off too much of your gear in front of your old man; he might just "borrow" it! :laugh:

3. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if he carried a Mini Mag. It hangs in his closet. He also has a big Mag somewhere, and a Lightzooka of some sort stashed in his camper. My brother is more serious about this stuff than I am, and turned me onto SF's and gave Dad the Mags back in the olden days.

Being old Michigan farm boys, we've always carried pocket knives and folders. Dad's seen a bit of my knife collection and laughs at me. For some reason he thinks one or two knives are enough. Ditto the lights. He was surprised when I told him I packed a spare in my suitcase. Why would you need more than one light or one knife?

Kevin B.

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Your dad's of the old school! :knuppel2:

Sometimes I MYSELF wonder what I need with so many knives! :laugh:

5. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

How about an Inova X5. Great light with a long runtime.

6. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

Actually, I also picked up an X0. They were out of X03's.

I keep an X5 in one of my earthquake kits. Decent little light, though not as bright as the X0 series.

Kevin B.

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

If I may... I don't usually give away 123-based lights to people. They won't know where to buy more and they're expensive at regular venues.

8. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

He knows where to get more 123's cheap - from me!

I see your point, though. It still boggles my mind that grocery stores can charge $10 for a single 123. Thank goodness for the internet.

OTOH, the beauty of the 123's is their shelf life. I've replaced the batteries in my 6P once in the last 15 years. It's an emergency light that sits in the drawer of my night stand. I like knowing that it will still turn on for sure no matter when the next big earthquake hits. I will bet you money that all the 2 D cell lights I have around the house are either dead or dying at this very moment.

Kevin B.

9. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

You're absolutely right. In terms of shelf life & cost (if you know where to get them) they beat everything else, hands down. It's nice that you take care of him like that. Kudos.

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would get him the SF G2!! That is a great light. I have given many as gifts. My spouse has one for the work bag and the car; they are both yellow.