1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I got a good gun, but was looking for more

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jessie Carter, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

I tend to look towards the experts in the field for guidance, those who work in grizz country or who regularly spend time in the bear's "house." What do they use for protection? Talking strictly firearms for bear attack defense, the link I've attached is considered some of the best data to date on the subject. The summary below is from an article discussing the outcome of the study in the link.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

Last edited by Holliday, Nov 10, 2016
    timcyms likes this.
  2. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the link. I live in Colorado and while I have carried rifles and shotguns to camps, once in camp a sidearm is what is with you most of the time. The link you sent was published earlier than the loads that I am considering using in a .45 Colt and do match the minimum standard that the article recommended for a handgun. Thanks again.

Holliday likes this.
  3. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

You disagree but haven't done any research on bear attack defense with a handgun?

So what's the basis of your disagreement with the study that I cited, that had proven numbers?

As for the alien comment. It was meant to show the rarity. I pointed out that encountering a bear wasn't as crazy as carrying a gun to defend yourself from aliens but it's not crazy far off. You've got what, 19,000 bears spread over 104,000 square miles? you're not exactly hip deep in them. If you choose to go hiking in bear country you're more likely to run into them, than down town Denver, but even then it's not an every day occurrence or one that you need live in fear from.

As for why do I carry a gun? I don't carry a gun for bears. Nor do I carry bear mace for humans (Though it'd work in a number of situations. lol)
    I carry a gun for other humans.. because... humans aren't bears... and the bad humans, are seldom trying to bite me or scratch me... they'd be trying to shoot or stab me... and I'd much prefer to shoot them first. Nor are humans.. -bears- that could take 15 rounds from a 9 and just be pissed off. Humans CAn and DO attack from Range. Bears do not. Humans can and DO shoot one another. Bears do not.

You've basically said you just don't like bear mace or the idea of it. Which is fine. Even with the studies showing that it's worked every time it's been used.

You can MOST CERTAINLY Carry a pistol with you for bear defense. It's your choice. I just hope that it's not one that's regretted at some point in the future.

I'm not too worried about it though. Roughly 3 people a year are killed in the US and Canada, as opposed to 26+ A year killed by dogs and 90 a year killed by lightning.

3 out of 350,000,000..... I think you'll likely be fine either way.

4. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Just going to throw this out there.

"Of the handguns tested, only the.44 magnumwas powerful enough to be considered minimally effective, and it ranked well below most of the rifles and the shotgun with slugs. The authors deemed the .44 magnum a backup weapon, useful primarily in that it can be strapped to your body whereas a rifle or shotgun may be out of reach when the attack occurs. The.357 magnum and.45were not adequate."

Cuz it might have been missed the first time.

The .44 magnum was only powerful enough to be considered MINIMALLY EFFECTIVE and it ranked WELL BELOW the rifles and shotguns with slugs. At best it was rated as a back up.

Your pistol isn't going to be enough Jessie. If you want to carry a pistol. That's fine. I do. Many of us do. Just don't 'carry a pistol for BEARS' as it's not going to be enough. Even with heavier loads.

5. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I have and do carry a handgun on a daily basis. When I camp or hike I carry as well where legal and have for many years. I have used 12 gauge pump shotguns and lever action rifles for camp guns and prefer a long arm to a handgun for self defense period. I used your argument for bear spray in the same way you [chuckles] responded to my initial post and for that I apologize. The article that Holliday posted was written prior to the development of some of the loads that are available today for both 44 Mag and 45 Colt and was made reference to the Alaskan Browns and Grizzlies. Again, I live in Colorado. I know full well a long arm is best for defense against...well anything, but sometimes it is about what you have with you. A shotgun back at camp won't help you when you go to get water from the stream. Bear spray is much more effective than nothing for sure, but I have had my experience with using chemicals in the outdoors. This post comes after my learning that my revolver can handle +P loads, so I'm good with the purchase.