1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I got a good gun, but was looking for more

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jessie Carter, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

It is my fault for making an impulse buy, but I am a little disappointed in my selection of my Ruger New Model Blackhawk. I like the gun, it seems that it will not handle Level 3 loads in 45 Colt. I was hoping to use the gun as a camp/kit gun. I was hoping that I could load it up to near magnum levels for bear/cat protection. Have any of you heard of the limitations on the New Model Blackhawk?

2. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

*Chuckles* A shot gun? Going 'bigger' than a 45 gets silly in a hand gun real fast.

jstert likes this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"Seems?" So you're not certain. Have you contacted Ruger to verify your suspicion?

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

5. Jessie Carter

And that's what I thought, but the New Model Blackhawk is built on a medium frame with a cylinder that is closer to the Vaquero than the Old model Blackhawk.

6. Jessie Carter

Well 44 mag is actually hotter than 45 Long Colt as is .41 Magnum, 10mm, .357 Mag...

7. Jessie Carter

Not yet, but the ammo manufacturers all specify that the +P ammo is only safe in Large Frame Rugers, TC and 1894 rifles.

8. Pepsi Jedi

Can of Bear mace is alot cheaper. The very very remote chance you run across a bear it'll likely do you better than trying to hit it with a hand cannon off the draw. Any pistol, even a hand cannon, unless you hit it in the exact right spot, is only going to piss off a bear.

You don't have to worry about a mountain lion unless you're the size of a pubescent young lady. Or are sick and or injured. Where in, again you're not going to be aiming and hitting anything with a hand canon. (Nor are you likely to be fast enough to draw and hit a mountain lion, if it for some reason DOES attack you. It'll likely be on you before you have an eartly idea it's there, but they don't typically attack adult humans unless it's a very petite female.)

If you just want a huge gun for fun. Then sure, buy which ever one you like to play with. :D

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That's their legal team's standard position to avert litigation. Contact the MAKER of the firearm instead.

10. Jessie Carter

Every bear encounter I have had was at a distance I could draw, make ready and make aimed fire had the bear not simply looked at me and walked away. It is often times windy outdoors where I live...wind blows in your face and bear mace becomes seasoning.:( Cats I have never seen, have only seen tracks and that's enough for me to draw and put my head on swivel. My experience has been great with bears, they just move on and go about their business. Others here in various parts of my state haven't been so lucky...except the guy two weeks ago, who managed to escape from a bear that knocked him down while he was scouting for this seasons hunt. :censored:

11. jstert

jstert Loaded Pockets

are you accurate with the very hottest 45lc loads? i really enjoy my ruger bh 45lc but only shoot ammo that i can comfortably and accurately put down range. 50 on target rounds per session is my minimum to be acceptable. what motivates me is knowing that there is no shrapnel or concussive shock wave from a miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jessie Carter likes this.
  12. Pepsi Jedi

If the bear is at a distance where in it would move away, you don't need to shoot it. If it's close enough to be a threat, then the bear mace will do ya.

To cite a source.

" "Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska" study stated:
    • "Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90% for black bears, and 100% for polar bears.
    • Of all persons carrying sprays, 98% were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters.
    • All bear-inflicted injuries (n = 3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required).
    • In 7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases.
    • In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71).
    • Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country."

Your wind concern is there. 7% reported that wind had interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in _ALL CASES_.

98% of people carrying sprays were uninjured in close-range encounters.

Of the 2% that were injured, no hospitalization was required.

As for mountain lions it's good to keep a look out if you see evidence of one, but they really don't attack full grown adults, unless the adult is tiny, or the animal is sick. You don't need a .50 or anything to drive one off if it did attack. Mostly you yell and clap and they'll go away. If it's full on attacking, they're not... well. bear sized. You don't need a massive gun to hurt or kill one.

Holliday likes this.
  13. Jessie Carter

That's why I didn't shoot...they walked away. Studies aside and with all due respect, I don't like the odds of having seasoning as my primary defense. And .45 Colt is not a .50 or anything either. Level 1 loads are downright anemic and Level 2 Loads are the equivalent of .45ACP. Wanting a revolver capable of maximizing the .45 Colt is not tantamount to wanting a hand cannon.
    Yes, I can hit well with the Blackhawk with Level 1 and 2 loads I don't see level 3 making much of a difference in my ability to hit. I need that first round to count as much as possible.

jstert likes this.
  14. Pepsi Jedi

Right. Who ya gonna trust? People that have had the actual encounters, studies done, or your ability to shoot and kill a bear with a pistol first shot? Cuz... if you don't kill it. You're pissing it off even more. *Chuckles*

And my point was that you seemed to be implying the 45 wasn't enough and you wanted more gun. Going for more gun gets into the silly range pretty quick. If the pistol weighs 8lbs you might as well be carrying a shot gun.

But it's all good. People are gonna do what they want to do. Chances are extremely high you'll never have to use either. So which ever makes you feel best. :)

Holliday likes this.
  15. Jessie Carter

I will trust people who have had actual encounters...I wrote regarding my particular .45 Colt not being able to handle +P loads, I didn't imply anything regarding any larger calibers n my question to this board. My revolver weighs 44 ounces, definitely lighter than a rifle or shotgun. My chances of encountering a bear while hiking, fishing or camping remain what they have been...I hope my need to use my gun to protect myself remain what it has been.

16. Pepsi Jedi

I hope so to.
    My main point was that you don't need a large pistol or one to handle +P loads for a bear. Bear mace will do you, on the off chance that you happen to have a close encounter with one. I cited source that proved it.

I'm a gun owner. I have a gun. I carry. I just don't carry because I think aliens are going to land and I'll need to shoot one. Carrying a pistol for 'bears' isn't QUITE on the same level, but it's not crazy far off. Of those that have been attacked by a bear, that had bear mace, none were killed and of those that sustained injury (A minority) none required hospitalization.

I'm not sure the same can be said about people with a pistol. I'm betting not. Guns are alot harder to aim and you'd have to hit the animal in such a way as to cripple or kill it, vs driving it off. That's not something that's easy to do when a bear is charging you intent on eating your face. Shooting a cloud of spray in it's general direction, is much easier.

BUT! The entire conversation is largely hypothetical. Bears aren't exactly thick on the ground. To find one you'd likely have to put yourself in bear country and even then the chnaces are small. Smaller still that one would react with an attack unless you did something truely stupid of your own. (Try and get close tot hem for example... kick a cub.)

So chances of you getting attacked are very small. I share your hope that either way, you never need to test, either theory.

Jesus™ and Holliday like this.
  17. SteelWaiting

SteelWaiting Loaded Pockets

Lol kick a cub

18. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Pepsi Jedi
    It is refreshing to see someone apply logic and empirical data to this topic, instead of the usual (incorrect) rhetoric. Kudos.

Jessie Carter
    Have you done any research about bear attack defense with a handgun?

19. Jessie Carter

My main point was that you don't need a large pistol or one to handle +P loads for a bear. Bear mace will do you, on the off chance that you happen to have a close encounter with one. I cited source that proved it.

I'm a gun owner. I have a gun. I carry. I just don't carry because I think aliens are going to land and I'll need to shoot one. Carrying a pistol for 'bears' isn't QUITE on the same level, but it's not crazy far off. Of those that have been attacked by a bear, that had bear mace, none were killed and of those that sustained injury (A minority) none required hospitalization.

I'm not sure the same can be said about people with a pistol. I'm betting not. Guns are alot harder to aim and you'd have to hit the animal in such a way as to cripple or kill it, vs driving it off. That's not something that's easy to do when a bear is charging you intent on eating your face. Shooting a cloud of spray in it's general direction, is much easier.

BUT! The entire conversation is largely hypothetical. Bears aren't exactly thick on the ground. To find one you'd likely have to put yourself in bear country and even then the chnaces are small. Smaller still that one would react with an attack unless you did something truely stupid of your own. (Try and get close tot hem for example... kick a cub.)

So chances of you getting attacked are very small. I share your hope that either way, you never need to test, either theory.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter, but I disagree. More to the point, I am more likely to encounter a bear in Colorado than an alien anywhere on earth. Why do you carry a gun if mace will do?

20. Jessie Carter

No, I have not done any research on bear attack defense with a handgun. Do you have any suggested material for the effort?