1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the whistle.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by dork, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Wow. Amazing stories. Who'd've thought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. davem

davem Loaded Pockets

I wonder if the guy in "127 Hours" had a whistle he could've had a better outcome.

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Keep that can of Mace handy. In a real encounter, it'll prove FAR more useful than the security blanket of a simple noise-maker.

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I carry an ITW - less than $2 and smaller than a BIC lighter.

In the mall, why bother but I live in steep terrain 600 yards from the sea. Ravines, rain forest, mountain trails and poisonous snakes are 50 yards away. Plus my dogs love the sound it makes.

I had to use a whistle once to signal a dive boat. I came up about a mile away in strong currents during a storm that rolled into the Florida Keys. I waited on the surface for awhile. The whistle was the only way that they were able to find me.

Sent using Tapatalk... embrace the typos

5. JUGRNOT

JUGRNOT Loaded Pockets

its easier to use a whistle then call for help and if you want it can be used for many things id rather have one then not plus people stop and pay attention with a whistle not so much when you call out for help or someone

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In some neighborhoods, kids play with whistles all the time. Residents tune out the sound the way they do an obnoxious car-alarm. Yeah, shouting "Help!" isn't likely to get you any. (Just the way it is.) That's why you shout "Fire!"

"Help" simply means YOU are in trouble. "Fire" means that YOU and anyone close by is in trouble. "Fire" gets you the attention you want far better than "Help" or a blow of a whistle.

7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Three quick blasts is an international distress signal. two blasts is the acknowledgement.

marcclarke and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

Whistle is great to clear people that stuck at accident scenes, and to warning drivers that "don't see " rescue operations

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI G525-U00 utilizzando Tapatalk

socaldsal and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In an urban jungle? Think again. Three blasts is someone being extra annoying.

10. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

I carry a Fox 40 in my bag clipped to the key holder. I don't take chances because I've seen some terrible weather come out of nowhere and yelling sometimes doesn't get any attention.

11. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Mine whispers softly....usually on a Saturday afternoon.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been rocking the single barrel NiteCore Whistle on my keys for a few months and love it.

I've posted on this topic before but, I do lawn care, by myself, all day, in Fl. Sometimes at heights, sometimes with dangerous tools. I need a low-energy alert system if I do get hurt/pass out/feel weak (heat stroke is no joke - hydrate or die).

I also help run a gym at a local private school on occasion and a whistle surely gets the attention of a crowd of little kids. And parents.

Plus, I am physically unable to whistle loud enough for anyone to hear me..

I just bought the double barrel NiteCore Whistle (NWS20) because the lil' bugger I'm currently rocking is so swell. I don't know if it will go to keychain carry and replace the NWS10. I will do a quick review when it comes in if I remember.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

My new NiteCore Whistle (double barreled, NWS20) came today!

It is gorgeous. Very clean looking- a nice Ti piece. It is more than twice the weight of the single barrel one. But the sound is much more intense. Um... Robust? Deeper? Obviously it sounds louder, with less effort/lung power.

I'm not musical/tone oriented, but I feel there is much more 'umph' behind this whistle. I loved the single barrel one, but I think this is a nice upgrade.

Um... Ya! End of fasty nasty review. 8)

14. Golani Ben Ami

Golani Ben Ami Loaded Pockets

I keep one for use on the shooting range, indoor and outdoor.

15. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Probably have a shirt on. Breath in through the fabric and then out through the whistle.

16. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i completely understand the usefulness of a whistle. i just choose not to carry one. tho, that might change in futture..

17. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

"Rape" whistles seems to have been displaced by personal alarms with the same intention of attracting unwanted attention via loud noises. I don't know how robust/"stomp proof" they are, but it stands that they will continue to work even while you're getting worked over.

I can't post a link, but one well known incident involves Tonya Harding, of the kneecapping Nancy Kerrigan fame, using one in early 1994 to scare off an attacker.

If you're carrying a whistle for self protection, a personal alarm may be a better choice.

18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Depends on the product.... there was one that had a ABS shell, protected battery case and required a "combination" of button presses to turn off. Pretty sure could have run over it with a truck. The only downside was that it ran on 3-4 AAAA (Quad A) batteries.

ATB,
    Sam

19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I'll stick with the whistle: small, lightweight, no batteries, one moving part (air). YMMV

marcclarke likes this.
  20. automaticjack

automaticjack Loaded Pockets

Late to the thread. I carry a whistle for my dog and in case I need to attract attention (even if its not an emergency). On the other hand Ive carried a prybar on my keychain for over a year but have never used it ( so I'm probably ditching it soon as its not an emergency item that you keep just in case).