1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the whistle.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by dork, Feb 17, 2014.

1. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

EDCers try to carry everything under the sun. Why not a whistle?

2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Let me qualify my answer by first saying that I find no justification to edc a whistle, because summoning nearby help isn't a particularly useful survival tactic when I put myself miles from the nearest help. That said, for those who live in more populated areas, or who are more likely to be, as you said, mugged or raped, the whistle may be essential survival gear. The thing about muggings, rape, or getting lost is that you cannot plan for those. To be prepared to survive them is to be prepared every day. I used to EDC a lighter, gave it up, and got myself lost in the rain overnight with no way to warm myself when temperatures dropped. If we expect something bad to happen, we avoid it altogether. It's the unexpected that catches us unprepared. You may feel perfectly secure not carrying a whistle unless you have children and/or animals to signal over distance on a regular basis, I just recommend not leaving gear at home because you think you won't need it that day.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Call me crazy but ah.... I seriously doubt that any woman about to get raped is going to have the time to pull a whistle out of her purse or pocket, toss it into her mouth, get a deep breath before blowing into it, and getting someone's attention who'll; what?.... Rush to her rescue like some sort of knight in shining armour??

Whoever originally came up with the ridiculous concept of a Rape Whistle, deserves to be beaten properly. Since realistically speak, more than a few women have been raped while desperately reaching for their whistles in a bizarre belief that the whistles would save them. Instead of relying on something actually useful in such an encounter. If not a small pistol, than at least some fricking pepper-spray.

Any sort of noise-maker marketed as a useful self-defense tool?.... Absolute B.S.

UCChris, MTFatboy and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Tachiyaku

Tachiyaku Empty Pockets

Hi, new here, but just wanted to comment on this. Sexual assault is not statistically remote by any stretch of the imagination. In the US, 1 in every 6 women (and 1 in every 33 men) has experienced attempted or actual sexual assault - the majority by people known to the victim rather than random strangers on the street. That's one person every two minutes. That's epidemic proportions. It's more than likely that many/most people here know someone who has been the victim of sexual assault, unbeknownst to them, because 60% of rapes go unreported (and undisclosed for various reasons). - stats from rainn.org

Whether a whistle is actually helpful is a whole other issue. I think it could be in certain situations, not necessarily as a signal for assistance, but more likely as a possible deterrent. Either way, situational awareness is also about educating ourselves as to what types of risks there are out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual and BarksAtCats like this.
  5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've taught self-defense over the years to a number of individuals. Many who were completely new to it. My biggest hurdle was overcoming their mindset that somehow they could effectively defend themselves without hurting the attacker. You'd be amazed how many Rape Whistles I've seen and how often I've had to shatter their delusions that it's something more than a useless noise-maker, when it comes to self-defense.

marcclarke and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I don't have you experience teaching self defense, but I should think that a whistle could be a useful part of a multi layered defense. If you are going to have to walk through a dark parking lot alone (obviously not recommended but if it is unavoidable) then I should think having the whistle out (possibly between your teeth), pepper spray in hand, and 91 dialed on your phone could be useful.

I agree that if you don't train with it, don't understand when it's useful, and rely on it alone then it can be detrimental. Couldn't the same be said about any tool?

I know that personally if I heard a whistle I would investigate. Unlike car alarms that go off on their own, whistles are rarely (outside sporting events) used randomly, plus you can hear the attitude of the whistler in the manner it's used.

I have a whistle on my keychain. It's small and metallic. I use it fairly often when I need to ref games. It is definitely one of those things I couldn't improvise and when I need it there is no substitute.

marcclarke and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You get knocked down, you're going to end up choking on that whistle if you put it between your lips beforehand as you start to walk through that darkened parking lot.

Pulling out a bright flashlight from a purse or pocket to first scan the lot is a much better option than going in "blind." Plus, it's a whistle. It makes noise. If the neighborhood is one where kids often screw around just blowing whistles or screaming bloody murder because they weren't raised right (and the screaming happens outside my window often), no nearby adult is going to pay attention. Forget the whistle. Carry the pepper-spray. If one needs to get someone's attention, then scream "FIRE!!" at the top of your lungs. That will actually get attention drawn to what's happening. And if it's an experienced rapist, he's going to cover his victim's mouth first and foremost. A good, solid torch in one hand, spray in the other.... Hit him or blast him in the face.

8. Tipper_Tom

Tipper_Tom Loaded Pockets

I have to agree that in a situation where one is being attacked a whistle is going to achieve very little beyond using potentially your last breath.

They say attack is the best form of defence. They're wrong.

Preparedness is the best firm of defence.

I know that if it came down to me or him. It won't be me.

A wise man once said speak softly and carry a big stick. He said nothing about carrying a whistle for defending oneself. There's probably a reason for that.

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Stupidity should be illegal or painful.

Riding the night horse since 2002

She's not leaking oil, she's sweating power.

9. Tipper_Tom

Tipper_Tom Loaded Pockets

I have to agree that in a situation where one is being attacked a whistle is going to achieve very little beyond using potentially your last breath.

They say attack is the best form of defence. They're wrong.

Preparedness is the best firm of defence.

I know that if it came down to me or him. It won't be me.

A wise man once said speak softly and carry a big stick. He said nothing about carrying a whistle for defending oneself. There's probably a reason for that.

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Stupidity should be illegal or painful.

Riding the night horse since 2002

She's not leaking oil, she's sweating power.

socaldsal and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

This point touches on my hatred of the most absolutely useless invention known to mankind, which many of us, myself included, are coerced without permission or mercy into carrying every day -- the :censored: panic button on the :censored: key/fob to activate the :censored: alarm that shouldn't be installed in the first :censored: place. How many of us, upon hearing a car alarm, rush to the window, phone in hand, to make sure the proper owner is accessing the vehicle? What would happen to the sorry sot who called 911 to report a car alarm going off? How many of us even look? A whistle, (which I agree is a sorry defensive strategy compared to pretty much any other), would at least draw attention. If someone were outside incessantly blasting on a whistle, I would look to see what was going on, out of curiosity if not concern. One doesn't hear a whistle every day. One does hear and ignore every day the ubiquitous, irritating, and utterly useless car alarm. (Not to mention I have inadvertently set mine off twice trying to secure the truck to walk into the woods for a nice, quiet hunt) :banghead:

11. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Still carrying my whistle.

Nick.

Inner Prop, Brtsmpsn and Lou_G like this.
  12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thing is, you're assuming that the person looking out their window is going to automatically come to the aid of the individual who is blowing that whistle. Often times, yes; they will.... In the form of picking up the phone and dialing 911 (or 999 on the opposite side of the pond). Individual being attacked right now, with the cops a few minutes away; they'll get there just in time to take a statement from the victim before she gets carted off to the Emergency Room. Or, while the body is still warm as they draw the chalk outline.

MTFatboy and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. Tupajumi

Tupajumi Empty Pockets

Whistle is terrible for preventing attacks or rapes. When you notice that you're in trouble, there's no time to pick up the whistle and blow it long enough to get attention. Making lots of sound in situation like that is a good thing tho; the attacker might get scared of the attention and leave, or someone could help in one way or another. One of those small alarms, that have pin you pull out and it makes lots of noise would be much better than whistle. You can just activate it, and it will keep on beeping even if you are knocked out. Just don't rely on the sound to save you, run away or defend yourself if possible.
    Maybe the "rape whistle" is meant to be used by someone who notices a rape, not the victim?

Whistle is good for getting attention in many other situations tho. I have pretty low voice, and I could not keep yelling for for long before my throat gets sore. With whistle it is easy to make more noise for a longer time with less energy.

By the way, some of the whistles in life jackets seem terrible; they need lots of air to make sound, and the sound seems pretty low & weak. I'd go for one with high pitch sound and small airway if I'd get to choose. But is there some reason for those whistles being the way they are, or are they that way just because they where cheap? Like does the lower (or wider?) sound carry better in some situations? Or does big whistle work somehow better when water might get in it? I'd think that the airflow would blow water away from even the smallest whistles when in use.

14. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Two things a whistle is good for. Those I've fallen and can't get up moments, and how my mom used one. She had it hanging next to the phone and would use it in telemarketers who called during dinner.

Sent by Owl Post

Uprightman, ran23, kd7dvd and 2 others like this.
  15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

That's a good point; although I personally don't make that assumption entirely (nor do I carry a whistle). I, for one, would not stand by peering out the window while a serious assault occurred if I could prevent it (and I probably could). The assumption that a person who summons help will, naturally, receive it goes at least back to biblical times. I have stumbled in my readings on the Old Testament command: "If there is a girl who is a virgin engaged to a man, and another man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city and you shall stone them to death; the girl, because she did not cry out in the city ... But if in the field the man finds the girl who is engaged, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lies with her shall die. But you shall do nothing to the girl; there is no sin in the girl worthy of death ... the engaged girl cried out, but there was no one to save her." (NAS, Deut. 22:23-27). On the other hand, I also learned in a Social Psychology course about the murder and rape of Kitty Genovese in New York City fifty years ago. The attack took over half an hour, several witnesses later reported knowing an assault or homicide was in progress, but no one reported the specifics to the police or went to her aid until it was over. I think I live in a place where people would certainly intervene, and I personally believe it is despicable not to prevent wrongdoing one has the power to prevent, but one cannot carry a whistle and assume it will bring help. On the other hand, a person in dire straights with a perfectly good whistle on the key ring and no other hope for deliverance should blow like a hurricane.

The point? Ladies, carry pepper spray (at least). Whistles are great for signalling if you have someone or something to signal (especially kids, dogs, telemarketers, etc). Superman doesn't exist, and police cannot be everywhere at once, so if we are responsible grown-ups, we ought to be prepared to look after not only our own defense, but those around us who are less capable.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I've read the Lord's good book; and try to live a decent Life according to what's contained within it. At the same time, I understand human nature. Yes, you or I (and I'll even say quite a few other members of EDCF) would actively get involved if we saw a young woman being subjected to something beyond obscene. Thing is, human nature being what it is; you can't rely on others to do what's right. Not all the time. Not even most of the time.

One of the hardest lessons I've ever had to drill into a number of folks who wanted to learn self-defense is that YOU yourself are not only responsible for your own defense. But YOU are the only one who is going to be around YOU 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. Not your overly protective husband who can wrestle a bear into submission. Not the security officer working the front desk at your job. And not I. Just YOU. And for the younger women out there, that is an incredibly frightening realization.

Easily the hardest lesson to drill into someone's skull. Proper grip on a snubby 5-shot .38 Special is easy compared to that lesson. (And I use that comparison because it's surprising difficult to shoot one of those well.)

CSM-101 likes this.
  17. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I put a whistle on my wife's keychain. It is very slim and weighs almost nothing.
    She is indifferent to its presence but it's not in the way or a nuisance to carry.
    But it makes me happy to know its there, just in case :)

ran23 likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I cannot believe this thread is still active!

dcmassena, dork, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  19. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

Some people don't just set up there edc bag for every day carry a whistle is light and ready they are useful and I've had one where it had a striker fire starter attached to it, so why not . The whistle can call attention and even communicate thru morse code from long distance.

20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I do not agree with not using a whistle in remote locations. That is where it will be of most use. If you are the target of a search party, your chances of being found increase with a distress whistle simply because you cannot make enough noise to signal anyone 1/2 mile away unless you have a whistle or a signal mirror. They are light, cheap and can serve as a zipper pull or a buckle.

Every Maxped bag I have came with one installed. Even my diving BC came with a whistle.

Sent using Tapatalk... embrace the typos