1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the whistle.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by dork, Feb 17, 2014.

1. davem

davem Loaded Pockets

It also scares away bears...

JK :)

BarksAtCats and WWW like this.
  2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Has no one out here ever had live stock :(

WWW likes this.
  3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't whistle very loud, so I keep one around to be able to attract attention if I needed to. They are so small it really doesn't make sense not to
    carry one.

... Plus they're great for annoying your co-workers... :rolleyes:

keith1234 and WWW like this.
  4. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

Ahhhh!! I'm a tad bit slow today!! :p My line of thought was, you need to gather some air prior to the blowing so you would be inhaling some dust, but as I said is better to get some dust and attention rather than no dust and no attention.

5. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

I have worked with chainsaw operators that were required to have them. Many would pin them in such a way they could operate them hands free. That way if a tree fell on them they could still signal. The rest of us carried them to signal equipment operators and in the unlikely event someone gets lost without a radio. I don't always carry one now, but I do when I am in the woods. If I lived in an earthquake prone area and spent time in large buildings I would likely still carry one all the time. If you can breath you can blow a good whistle.

6. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

Volunteer to become a Scout Master, and you will begin to appreciate the attention getting properties of the simple whistle...

7. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Loaded Pockets

I carry a whistle for a couple of reasons:

1. I work in a mall and live in an EQ zone. It may be just what is needed to alert people that I am in the rubble.
    2. I can use it if I need to try to get someone's attention for help.

I keep it on a lanyard around my neck, and it is there if needed.

8. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

My bad, I did not think of the whole breath in to breath out :(

9. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I've used mine just to attract the attention of my Dad at a militaria fair; it's a big place, crowded and you can hardly hear a mobile....so the whistle is good although the other customers/stall holders get a fright at times!

Both my Dad and I were in the Fire Service and whistles were used to alert crews inside a building to get out ASAP, so a whistle to us is normal carry.
    However I've not used it in 'anger' yet and hope I never do.

10. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

Great movie. (I say so every time somebody says the word prisoners, severely overlooked in my opinion)

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Whistles are less than useless for self-defense encounters. It's a whistle, a noise-maker.... Most folks don't care and even the ones who do will likely think it's just some obnoxious little kid outside their window.

CSM-101 likes this.
  12. StAnger665

StAnger665 Loaded Pockets

I carry it in case I'm stuck in a collapsed building so I don't use a bunch of energy screaming myself horse. As for mugging or rape wouldn't the assault perpetrator just take your whistle?

13. ChrisinHove

ChrisinHove Loaded Pockets

It's pretty much standard practice in the UK to carry a whistle whilst fell/ mountain walking, as an emergency or distress signal capable of being heard over long distance.

14. Colyn.

Colyn. Empty Pockets

I have one because it was cheap, titanium so its lightweight and very small and minimal on my EDC keychain... personal I dont think ill ever really need to use it but I feel good having it incase I do. Does come in handy though when at a loud concert and my gf cant hear me whistle with my mouth she knows what it sounds like so she looks for me. I like mine but want a better quality one than the one I got off of the forums store only because it has that little plastic piece in it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk Pro

15. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Agree. And as another Kayaker, we also carry whistles for attention / signalling. In the UK we tend to recommend plastic whistles as it is pretty unpleasant having your lips freeze to a metal whistle in the cold!

BarksAtCats and Water-Rat like this.
  16. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

After all this great feedback, I'd have to say that whistle-carry seems to fall into three basic categories:

1) Specialized use, especially sports and the trades. Unfortunately, these don't apply to most people. Using myself as an example, I'm not a cattle farmer, lifeguard, lumberjack, coach, or avid kayaker, and so will never use a whistle for these activities.

2) Improvised use, dependent on social context and not always necessary. In my case in Japan, I'm not sure that the social cost is worth the questionable efficacy. Walking around a shopping mall or concert arena blowing on a whistle would be annoying and socially unacceptable.

3) Emergency situations, which includes crime and natural disasters. This category alone is enough to convince me to buy a whistle.

Any thoughts on this rationale breakdown?

Water-Rat likes this.
  17. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

Because Captain Von Trapp uses a whistle.

18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Try to realize the truth.... there is no whistle. :eek:

ATB,
    Sam

BarksAtCats likes this.
  19. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Chickens! But they were dumb clucks.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  20. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Focusing on #2, I would say "use as appropriate". Like the fellow in Texas who was seen with an AR15 strapped to his back as he strolled through the mall. Definitely not apropos. And say calling in your kids running amok in the mall? Well, they should have had better social training to begin with. Again not apropos. Effective I bet, but embarrassing for all within earshot. At a concert? Well, in limited genre maybe; like reggae, rap, or some R&R in a participatory context.