1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the whistle.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by dork, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

I don't understand the whistle as an EDC item. I understand a whistle for potential attack situations (muggings, rape) or for wilderness survival (being lost), but both seem statistically remote for most people in everyday situations. How many people have ever used their whistle? Are there any other uses? Thanks for the feedback!

Corgi, MrOG, WWW and 1 other person like this.
  2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Everyone does not need a whistle out side of an emergency but quite find them useful.

People use them to call animals, Okie_Chick has whistled for her horses for as long as I have known her. Whistles are use during athletic events as well as informal games. They are used to tell everyone it is time to go eat. Some parents use them to tell the kids I cannot see you, get back here.

Everyone does not need a whistle but they are very useful to a lot of people. All of my coaches except for judo used a whistle.

3. Gamble

Gamble Loaded Pockets

how about you survive a building collapse but are trapped, and need to get the attention of rescue crews, but can't yell loud enough?:tongue:

Whether to carry those types of items (rarely used, if ever) depends on your edc philosophy. No one can convince you it's worth carrying one unless you buy into the idea that the hassle of carrying it is offset by the potential need...no matter how statistically small.
    ...Think of how many people carry guns but will never "use" them.

4. Gamble

Gamble Loaded Pockets

my couch uses a whistle to let me know it's time to come sit down ;)

5. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

I could be wrong but I remember someone saying that using a whistle on a colapsed building may not be the best idea because of the suspended dust in the air. I could be extremely wrong but to me makes sense, and I've always wondered what I could use to signal if I was caught on a colapsed building in the case no metal pipes or similar were close to me.

As for the whistle I don't carry one but I could make use of one cause I'm not able to whistle with my lips/fingers very loud. Calling for a cab, or to get the attention of someone...

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

You blow out of a whistle though?

7. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

Not quite sure if understand what you mean??

8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Whistles are an audible signal for getting attention or communicating, that carry better than voices or yelling and don't require a lot of lung power to make a lot of noise. Possible uses are:
    • Officiating sporting event or kids games
    • Hailing a taxi in a large city
    • Calling for help when being mugged / threatened / assaulted. Can also scare off the attacker who fears the attention.
    • When lost while hiking or camping. Either finding other members of a party or to signal rescuers
    • Calling a dog (that has been trained to respond to the whistle)
    • Earthquake survival or other natural disaster that may leave you trapped someplace and needing to signal to rescuers.
    There was one poster here a while back who apparently did some search and rescue efforts after an earthquake who mentioned that he now wears a whistle on a neck chain 24x7. Apparently the key issue is that you can make enough noise with very little lung functioning to get heard, in case there are rescuers working a large area with no idea where to look first.

9. dork

dork Loaded Pockets

Living in Japan, the thought of having a whistle when trapped in a collapsed building is appealing. I also like the idea of carry hassle vs. potential need. I suppose we make that consideration with all of our EDC gear at some point: How much do I use it? How much will I use it? How heavy or bulky is it? Will I miss it if I don't have it?

BarksAtCats, WWW and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It is all an individual things. Also things are out here are not always for emergencies.

The whistle is a cross over device.

There are farmers that even use them to call pigs.

Many people have a daily use for them. Some have no daily use at all for them.

To some it is a safety device, for others they see no need for it.

Only you can justify it's use for yourself.

If I lived on wide open rural areas like I used to and had a horse I would have a whistle.

11. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

100% agreed, blameless analysis.
    Would add personally that i carry a whistle, like lots of other little items (coins, rings, dices...), just to have something to fidget with. and f.e. an NW30 Fenix is IMO great for this purpose...
    EDC concept should not be always reduced to "i carry these 'cos i use/need them"... just my opinion.
    Cheers
    Nick

12. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

I guess I got it wrong, the screaming would be worse cause you would need more lung power while the whistle don't. I just thought that the fact that you would be aspirating the dust could compromise you, but I guess that not getting attention fast enough is far much worse. Also, as you said, there are disasters in which it can come in handy other than building colapse.

13. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

-to be heard over loud noises
    -to find the wife at the mall
    -in case of injury/illness and too weak to yell
    -to call the dog
    I use it more than my seatbelt, but I have to wear that the whole time in the car, and I haven't needed it yet.
    Stuff you don't need to do things you haven't thought of - that's my EDC!

BarksAtCats, GrayMouser, WWW and 2 others like this.
  14. davem

davem Loaded Pockets

ever see the final scene of the movie "Prisoners?"

15. Lasers-Edge

Lasers-Edge Banned

Interesting....
    Just this last weekend, we went to my daughters play at her school. When the play let out, someone backed into a car, they where trying to get everyones attention to find out who's car it was that got hit. It was real loud in the auditorium after the play with everyone talking. Someone blew a whistle and everyone went quite. No screaming needed, or waving hands around.... the gentleman just asked in a regular voice.... "This lady just hit someone's car with license plate XXXXX, you might want to check out the damage"

My wife even said..."I need to start carrying my whistle" (which brought up a whole other discussion).

It's an easy way to get a groups attention in a hurry with very little energy.

16. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

I've been told by four women who all work office jobs in cities that the whistle has lost its use as a safety device for women. I haven't gotten too into a discussion, so I can't say definitively why this is. Maybe because attackers know that no one is going to pay attention to it?

I carry one to signal the dog, to let kids know when it's time to come in, and to officiate Quidditch.

17. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hey, @dork!
    I just wanted to say that, can't believe no one else has.:)
    Great subject.
    I had an Atwood whistle, at one time. I carried it for a little while, but the size didn't appeal to me, and the Atwood whistles aren't that large. I just found that I didn't want a keychain ornament, but I wanted one to carry for if needed. I will likely find a smaller one for my pocket kit, as it will take up little space, and be useful when needed.

MrOG, Roger and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  18. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

A whistle works by blowing right? So unless you mean sending dust up into the air when you blow it?

WWW and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

A whistle is a way to communicate over a medium distance without using much energy. I work as a lifeguard during the summers. Sure, I could do my job just with screaming and yelling, but I wouldn't be able to talk at the end of the day. I work in a school during the rest of the year and having a whistle is the only way to get a large group of students to stop and listen immediately. Sure, you can yell, but that takes more time and energy. I go kayaking and stand up paddleboarding and always carry a whistle on my PFD to warn away other boaters/signal for help/communicate with paddle buddies. I carry a whistle on my keychain because it's cheap, doesn't take up much space, and it could save my life, or at least make my day go a little easier. And lastly, I carry a whistle, because I can't do what my one neighbor's mom did when it was dinnertime. She would stick her fingers in her mouth and whistle so loud he could hear her 2-3 blocks away.

20. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Often times I go kayaking, mountain biking, or hiking/exploring alone and carry an Atwood whistle to draw attention should I need help due to an accident where I'm unable to move or come across someone else who needs attention drawn.
    A female friend of mine wanted to see my EDC kit and started to make fun of my "rape whistle", as she called it.
    When I explained all the possible uses for it and the benefits of having it in my kit due to it's light weight and small footprint, she replied that she hadn't thought of that....
    For me, it's piece of mind knowing I can draw attention if the need arises.