1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I don't think I'm the only 1911 Nut Here.....

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Uncon214, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

I'm a total 1911 nut.

I built my carry gun... bought a rock island frame/slide kit... The rest is all Wilson Combat... ALL Internals... Except the barrel which is a Nowlin match grade unit.

OF COURSE It's in the ONLY caliber that a 1911 should be in... .45ACP... anything else in a 1911 is blasphemy!!!

I would post pics but my digital camera died...

Anyone who carries JMB's greatest handgun, i'd love to hear your thoughts... Along with those of any anti-1911 guys/gals out there.

2. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

Kimber Pro Carry II Crimson Trace Grips .45. I know there are guns that have better capacity, accesories, blah blah blah. But 1911's are like peices of art. You have to have one in your collection.

3. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

I've got my father's navy-issue Remington-Rand. Built in 1943.

I swear the thing looks like it's out of a time capsule. the parkerizing is near-perfect.

4. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

rongoms.... you sir have a thing of beauty...

PLEASE (even if it's a lie) tell me that you do not carry that RR...

Personally, I consider WWII 1911's as collectors' items... their value is through the roof and carrying one (with all the sweat, rain, and other potentially weapon ruining stuff we trudge through on a daily basis.) to me is just crazy...

I only carry current manufacture and weapons not of too much value because I sweat a lot and don't always get the opportunity to wear and conceal my Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle rig so most of the time whatever I'm carrying rides in a Galco SkyOps..... + I sweat a lot... yeah summer time means i have to clean the carry gun daily to prevent rusting and corrosion.

The very thought of that happening to a pristine Remington-Rand makes me, as an armorer and gunsmith, cringe.

5. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

Fellow 1911phile checking in. ;D

6. Kritter

Kritter Empty Pockets

Springfield 1911, just about two years ago, now.

Works great, lasts a long time.

No frills, just a stock weapon.

(Someday I really want to get one from Les Baer, got a chance to test one out last year and absolutly loved it!)

7. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

it is quite the little tool.

I do not carry it regularly, but it does get a now-and-then trip to the range.
    It IS, after all, a tool, meant to be used. Sort of like having a Porsche and leaving it parked in the garage. You're not going to drive it in a hail-storm, but on a clear spring day....why the heck not?

It';s funny though, I've had a few 1911s over the years, beavertails, checkered this and stippled that, race guns, tactical hardware, blah blah blah....nothing ever feels as good as the Remington-Rand does in my hand.

Nothing.

8. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

I personally love the platform as well. I don't really get into collectible or historical guns, but I am a huge fan of the modern 1911. I first bought a Taurus 1911. My thought was that it was cheap enough that I could do some upgrades on it. However, it has been an absolute dream so far. A lot of people turn up their noses at Taurus, but they really hit the nail with their 1911.

Since then I have bought a Kimber Custom II and a Colt Series 70 Officers Model. They are both very nice, but the Taurus is still my fave.

I find the fullsize 1911 a bit big to carry in shorts in the summer time, but it is my winter carry gun all the way.

9. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I have my Grandfathers Browning Hi-Power, he loved it and so do I!!! It's from the '60s, "Made in Belgium", adjustable rear sights, designed by John Browning hisself. Of course, it is a 9mm... :-X[img width=640 height=480]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7499/kdk0394.jpg[/img]

10. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

Though very similar, the BHP and 1911 are fundamentally VERY different...

I have no reason to refute a 9mil in a BHP... for that weapon it is more than appropriate... the only thing on the BHP I don't like is the horribly small safety lever, but that is a training type of issue that could be easily fixed...

Nice weapon, btw.

11. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

About the BHP safety lever, in the more recent version, the safety is larger and more user friendly. I'm not sure about the clones, but at least the FN mfg ones have the larger safety. As an option, you can have a larger one installed by a gunsmith.

12. Uncon214

Uncon214 Empty Pockets

This is true. The MkIII is probably the most user-friendly hi-power out there.

13. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

Here is my Taurus 1911 .

[​IMG]

Just got it back from the gunsmith. Had the safety replaced and hammer, also got a green and black duo tone paint job.

Had it for over a year and no problems.

14. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Although I am a fanboy of combat tupperware and find its grip angle and thickness natural and pleasant I must admit that a good 1911 feels even more so. I have a sprinfield 1911 A1 "loaded", and even though I perfer my glocks to it it is a very special piece. Pleasure to hold and shoot. Albiet a :censored: to clean (compared to a glock) and carry, I love my .45

15. skoalsoldier

skoalsoldier Empty Pockets

I love these things. Thats my Springfield Champion in the pic.

[img width=640 height=512]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/86skoalsoldier/motivator1063082.jpg[/img]

16. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

I have to admit that I am a 1911 junkie.
    The top two: Kimber CDP and a Kimber ULE Custom Eclipse (with CT grips) both in 3”.
    The bottom pic is a Kimber Raptor in 4”.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I like the aethetics and history of the 1911, but find other guns superior (for me) for EDC based on weight, capacity, reliability etc. I do think my next purchase will be a Les Baer TRS, if I can save up enough pennies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I have a Remington Rand and a Colt Series 70 with a reliability package on it. I love the way they look. The problem is that they are like having a cat with a finicky stomach, you feed it the wrong thing and it chokes and pukes. This passed weekend I wanted to attend a shoot with my daughter and was low on ammo for my Glock 23 40 S&W. I dug around and put together a mixed back of all the 40 ammo I had. I loaded it by the handful with no cares other than it was the proper caliber. The gun ran. This can not be said for my 1911s or most of the others I have come across.. Reliability first and then everything else. You gun is not a talisman, it is a tool.- George

19. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

Wow....another R-R owner!

How did you come by yours?

20. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

My Dad gave it to my as my 13th birthday present. He traded a guy a rifle for it. The guys grandfather was a reserve officer in WWII and was issued it just before the war ended. Guess they did not keep such good track of stuff because it was like new when I got it. Yeah my family is big on guns for gifts. Got three when I got married including a Ruger Single Six 22 LR with a flat loading gate made in 1956.- George