1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I Don't Own Torx Bits!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by K1CKtheCHICKEN, Apr 18, 2013.

1. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

I know, i'm weird. I guess i have to pick some torx bit sets up with all this EDC gear that has been showing up. The thumb stud on my mini-griptilian likes to come loose and i cannot fix it now. I can't believe I haven't needed these before!

2. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

It's definitely worth investing in quality drivers. I have some Erwin 1/4 hex bits that I use. S7 tool steel 58-62hrc. I've also heard nothing but good things about Wiha.

3. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

If you're on a tighter budget, Home Depot sells an 8-in-1 set for about six bucks. Husky Brand, has a grey handle. I've had one for a few years now, and it's worked wonderfully.

4. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

I have the same set. Excellent cost-to-usefulness ratio.

5. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

Recently I got a full set of small Craftsman screwdrivers (with a few nice Torx) that are all made in the USA, and they were on sale for like 20 bucks. Great quality. It's great having well machined Torx screwdrivers for the small, easy to strip screws like on pocket knives.

Just be careful that brands like Husky, Craftsman and Kobalt have been playing the Chinese made shuffle, where they charge you USA made prices and sometimes slip in China made goods, because they know you will in most cases just assume that these brands are made in the USA. I got a set of Kobalt pliers last year that the old man at Lowes swore up and down were made in the USA and I got home, put on my reading glasses and found out that I had overpaid. Craftsman seems to be about 50/50 these days, and Husky is now mostly outsourced.

I don't personally care where something is made as long as it is of good quality, they are clear about where it's made, and the price reflects where it's made. What bugs me is a few sneaky companies that try to play a shell game about where some of their products are made while tricking you into paying more in some cases for lesser products. For tools now, I always look at the box. I think even Snap-On has a few products outsourced.

kertap75 likes this.
  6. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

Me too. I kind of want a spare or three, just in case...

Mighty Max likes this.
  7. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't buy these, they're crap!

[​IMG]

8. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

You may want to check for some security torx bits, the ones with the hole in the centre. The LM Wave needs those ones. Try to get a full set, I think most common sets are size 8 and up, but also look for 7 and down. My recent N5 needs a 6 (I think) for the pocket clip torx screws.

qqb825 likes this.
  9. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

Here's mine. They were on sale at Ace:
    [​IMG]

10. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

Oh, yeah. And some blue Loctite for those screws. Then you'll have to find other things to use your Torx bits on...

11. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Kershaw makes a nice tool that fits nicely in a small organizer pouch called the T-Tool. It has a T6, T8 & Phillips bit. I have a couple of the Husky tools too and they are a good bang for the buck.

12. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Perfect answer. I love those things. I have the torx and regular version. A set for the shed and a set of the EDC. Simple, effective, and inexpensive.
    [​IMG]

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  13. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I need to get the regular flat head/phillips set still. I've had their little General Tools 4-in-1 pen shaped one, and it's gotten me by for the most part, but I want to keep that one in my bag and get the Husky one for the project drawer.

14. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

+100
    I've got three of these.
    All have worked flawlessly.

15. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

+100000.

Pro Tip: take a pair of needle nose pliers, and yank out the plastic insert from the handle, you can then fit all four double-ended bits in the handle for poke-free carry.

Oh yeah, the Torx version has a red cap. There's another model with a black cap and flat/phillips (#1/0/00/000), makes a perfect accompaniment.

16. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

17. Kraycat

Kraycat Loaded Pockets

I think I have the blue tool and Whia both are great but prefer the Whoa ( more control)

Sent from inside the Jungle

18. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Best bang for the buck set!

19. sup0man

sup0man Empty Pockets

For what it's worth, I picked up this set to tinker with my Kershaw- 30 mins in I noticed the T6 bit was no longer straight, but had already warped. Back to the Home Depot they went, and now I'm waiting on my Wiha bits from Amazon.

Kraycat likes this.
  20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I don't understand why the Torx drive was even invented. It doesn't do anything that a hex doesn't other than sell more tools. Still, after my initial resistance, I now find myself with several sets ranging from T1 up through T55. Still don't really like them but they are a necessity in today's world.