1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I can't decide stream or foam pepper spray?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Fladi, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Fladi

Fladi Loaded Pockets

I'm stuck and need more angles and opinions to help me decide if i want stream or foam based pepper spray.

I'm gonna carry it in my car, on my motorbike, and occasionally while on foot and having jacket on me.

For the rest of the time i've got an ASP palm defender fogger, the only one i found comfortable to wear 100% of the time for the last few years.

Random thoughts are welcome as well :)

2. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i had extensive training with a stream OC spray. never really tried a foam based one. what i noticed with the stream spray is that you better pay attention to which way the wind is blowing because when deployed there will be a mist cloud that will go wherever the wind is blowing.

3. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Foam and be "Caught" and thrown back.

4. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi Fladi,

Serious police training explains that the stream is more wind resistent and better and safer for the defender over the spray that can catch the wind more easily and be blown back on to you. Also like the above post from bigguy02 states, the bad guys have been known to scoup up the foam and sling the foam back on to you. Foam has all but been dropped in law enforcement circles for OC defence.

Cliff

5. BCGarrick

BCGarrick BST/Marketplace ban

What about the gel type stream? Shoots good and stays on the subject well...

Sent from my iPad

6. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

I bought this for my wife as it was recommended to me by some Law Enforcement and Fed Agents I know.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

I am sure you can find it cheaper on other web sites besides on Kimber's site.

7. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I would think the stream would be the most effective. Just watch the wind. The pepperblaster seems like a pretty good idea. YouTube has some pretty good videos for it

8. Fladi

Fladi Loaded Pockets

I'm also leaning to the stream option. I see couple people recommend to watch the wind while using stream.
    Isn't it the most wind resistant option of all atm? I mean compared to fogger and foam. Gel might be heavier but i guess the reach is smaller? And there aren't many gel based options out there?

p.s.
    i also noticed that the kimber pepper blaster is recommended pretty much everywhere pepper spray is mentioned. I really don't see why. Yeah the conception is great, but it seems so easy to miss with it, and you've got just 2 shots.
    Don't see it as reliable option in high adrenalin situation. From the videos i saw it travels tight and makes relatively small splash area, so really really easy to miss. Why everyone recommends it?

9. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

I don't recommend the foam. It is a specialty product developed for use in confined spaces where overspray would be a concern; e.g. - a jail cell.

10. unwashedmasses

unwashedmasses Empty Pockets

Back in my mall cop days, we carried foam. I guess the theory was to mitigate overspray on innocent bystanders, of which there was no shortage. I never actually had to use it though, so I couldn't comment on theory vs. practice. I've had a lot more training on the stream and thats what I prefer.

Personally, I EDC Cold Steel Inferno.

11. 5534

5534 Loaded Pockets

I'm assuming that pepper spray is quite similar to cs spray. If so the uk training is to spray in a "z" across face. Down at an angle then across again. Helps hit moving target and also if your aim is off - pushed shoved ect your more likely to get near to the face - then the particulates should still get into eyes nose Ect.

12. Fladi

Fladi Loaded Pockets

isn't Cold Steel Inferno only foam based

13. stevem174

stevem174 Loaded Pockets

I am not an expert by any stretch but I have been trained on, used and been exposed more than once.
    It's my experience that if you use pepper spray, you WILL be exposed to it. It may be a small exposure where you kinda smell it or a full blast where it seems you get more than the target. It's just the nature of the beast. :)

Foggers are easier to hit the target but are more affected by wind.

Foam still easy to hit the target but more likely to be thrown back by the bad guy. The bad guy might be intentionally trying to throw it back or might just be wiping it off of his face and or shaking his head like a wet dog.

Streams seem to be more wind resistant, less likely to be thrown back at you. But they give you the smallest pattern to hit eyes, nose, mouth with.

Personally, I like the stream versions of Foxlabs.

14. HappyStuffing

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

I have no experience with spray, but during my security guard training I was taught - and experienced - foam. Well it kicked my butt and it works as stated. Having it thrown back is a real possibility but as all things it is a compromise, eh? Spray, turn head and run! Why are you sticking around to let the scumbag have the opportunity to throw it back at you anyway?

If I totally missed something in my point, I humbly digress my point :)

15. badkarmaiii

badkarmaiii Empty Pockets

I've sprayed a ******** of deserving folks and steam is far superior to foam, IMHO.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk