1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I am looking for a great multi-tool, but..

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Iragon, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

I've never own a multi-tool before, but I had experience with Swiss Army knives.
    And I am looking forward to get a good multi-tool. Anyways, I was checking out some Leatherman online, but some people say they are made in China?:(
    Ok, I know some Chinese products are fairly good, no, not some, the only good one I've ever seen is my Fenix LD22.
    I AM SICK OF CHINESE OVERPRICED JUNKS, like Gerber in my opinion.
    So, my question is, are they all really made in China?
    If yes, can you guys recommend me some other brands or options?
    I don't really need like crazy-35-tools-multi-tool, my uses are just regular households and camping, fishing, things like that.

2. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

leatherman tools are built in the U.S. but I think the jaws were or still are being cast in E.U??.... not sure but something like that.

3. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

Leathermans are made in the USA! They are all great, I would get a simple wave if I was you.

baja820 likes this.
  4. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

leatherman tools are all built in Portland Oregon USA but the jaws are manufactured in Mexico.

5. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Swisstool Spirit is a great option. Swiss made and not too crazy on the tools. SOG also makes some good tools, but I haven't looked at their line in a while.

6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

/\ This, as far as I'm aware. Great tools IMO I own two and have handled several. Victorinox also makes some fine MTs as well.

7. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

I second the wave (not the charge why because the only reason I bought the tti is titanium and the wave is just a better deal) however I find the Juice and skeletool line are my go to tools because they have exactly as you stated, tools that are actually useful in a daily basis.

8. Combat-Trout

Combat-Trout Empty Pockets

I think they're assembled here of US made parts, Hadn't heard that they do anything in Mexico. I talked with one of their subs last fall about a side project and they said Leatherman was pretty hard over on quality. A decidedly good thing these days.

9. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

If you're interested in American made tools, you have several choices. Leatherman tools are U.S. made.

For only $25, you can get a Leatherman Wingman and it's better than any other full sized tool you'll find at that price. The Charge TTi, Wave and Rebar are more expensive (and capable) but great choices too.

Even Gerber makes a few tools in the U.S., e.g. the MP400 and MP600 and they're solid tools. If you're OK with Swiss made, a Victorinox Spirit is excellent.

10. NutSAK

NutSAK Loaded Pockets

I would suggest a Swisstool Spirit also, especially since you're already familiar with SAKs. The Swisstools have the same qualities and tools you're already familiar with.

11. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Leatherman ST 300 for camping/backpack. It is a beast. Both heavy and multifaceted, LM Micra on keys (great scissors), LM Style PS (for airplanes) in the sidebar... I've also read great things about Vic Spirits.

Edit - Don't buy Schrade's tough tool. Got it at a garage sale for a few bucks, it's lost most of it's usable components.... rofl. Junk.

12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Here's a similar thread where a member posted pics of the Wingman, Sidekick, and Rebar. I picked up a Wingman from Home Depot for $20 back during the holidays, and it's awesome. The Wingman's tool loadout is more for around the house type tasks, where as the Sidekick replaces the scissors and package opener with a saw and mini serrated blade. The Wingman is more than enough tool for me right now. Sometime in the distant future, I might get a bigger multi for the car and a smaller one for pocket carry in more formal attire, but for right now, the Wingman more than does the job for me. On the question of quality, the only thing that disappointed me a little is the pliers tips don't quite line up correctly. I'm sure I could get it fixed easily if I sent it out to LM, but It's not enough to really bug me that much.

13. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind that the Rebar can be had for just a extra 5-10 bucks over the sidekick/wingman and IMO it is a better tool. It doesn't have "rapid deploying" tools but IMHO I don't see the need for them on a MT, it does have a long shaft "for a multitool" Phillips head screw driver and that to me is awesome.

znapschatz and atilano like this.
  14. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

You know, I didn't really see the need for OHO tools on a MT, but now that I have my Wingman, they're priceless. Of course, I don't carry a separate knife usually, so being able to get the blade open while wearing gloves in 10-20 degree F weather is awesome for me. The Wingman's blade, scissors, and pliers can all be opened with one hand, but the other tools need two hands. While the Wingman's drivers have relatively short shafts, you can fold the tool so that one handle is folded in and one is folded out. This gives you the effect of a longer shaft screwdriver. I've used mine this way to remove/replace a door knob and to tighten screws on pot handles.

15. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

As others have said, Leatherman tools are all made in the good ol' USA. My first LM tool was a Wingman. I soon discovered I wanted more tools and better quality build, so I upgraded to the Wave. Don't get me wrong, the Wingman is great, but it is an entry-level MT. So if you're looking to spend money one time and get what you want, the Wave is my vote.

16. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Rebar. Hands down, my favorite Leatherman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Holy smokes... You guys understood the OP?

18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

My understanding is that the subcontracted plier heads were originally made in the US, but when the owner moved his operation to Mexico, Leatherman stayed with them because of their superior quality. Some Leatherman badged items are made in China, but not the multitools.