1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I am in need of a suggestion on what to get!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by countrystyle4life, Sep 22, 2013.

1. countrystyle4life

countrystyle4life Loaded Pockets

Hi there guys! I am looking to upgrade my watch, old one has been through hell and back. So I am looking for some suggestions on what piece to get, I do however have some requirements.
    Has to be:
    -Analog
    -Automatic operation
    -Sapphire Glass
    -Be able to use a Zulu band
    Also was wondering on the group view on either Trit or something like Luminova (want something that will last a long time). Can't wait to see what you guys have to suggest!

2. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

What price range? You can put a Zulu band on a Rolex....just sayin.

3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

How about an Orient M-Force ( SEL03002M ) ... ?

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

General style and price? Diver? Pilot?

+1, The Orient M-Force is a great choice, but you could also go with a Seiko SKX and get the crystal swapped for sapphire.

There's also the Orient Aviator. It doesn't have the sapphire, but you can get it with a fully lumed face.

Laco has a bunch of choices with sapphire, if you like the pilot style.

archimedes likes this.
  5. countrystyle4life

Cool guys! As for style I have would probably prefer a diver over a pilot style and as far as price I. Not exactly sure what all those options cost. I am not opposed to paying for the premium of a nice watch I know that in life you get what you pay for. I'm not looking to pay over 1K but would prefer to pay about half of that if that helps out at all. Also should clarify I would like all hour marks to be visible in the dark.

6. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Whoa ... $1k opens up a lot of options :)

Glycine Sub, maybe, or Marathon GSAR :D

Also, although it is pilot-style (not diver), should check out the Damasko DA37, too.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Seiko Sumo with a sapphire upgrade. You'll spend $800 or less, and it will feel like you spent $4k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ugly likes this.
  8. countrystyle4life

Like I said I'd like to spend as little as possible, but also want quality lol. I have a friend that has that Marathon and likes it, whats the thoughts on it? Also how do you go about doing something like a sapphire upgrade?

9. zackplanet

zackplanet Loaded Pockets

I would second the Sumo suggestion. I have a skx007 mod but shortly after I got it, I happened upon a sumo for a steal. I have worn nothing but the sumo since. The quality belies the price and yobokies sells a sapphire crystal upgrade for $60. Personally, I prefer it in blue but it looks good in black or even orange.

edit: A new sumo can be had for well under $800. They can be had from Higuchi or Seiya new for $500 or so.

Last edited by zackplanet, Sep 24, 2013
  10. countrystyle4life

Alright cool, I like the precise marks on the Glycine and long indicators, I like how the GSAR has Trit (don't know if this really matters or not) and its overall "heavy duty" build, don't really like how the Seiko doesn't have numeric markings but upon looking at the watch can't argue with it either as my father has worn one (or one similar to it that was produced when he bought it) for about 26 years. Can Yobokies pretty much do anything or how does he work. i.e. replace parts or could build a one off?

11. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Seiko lume is awesome like that. I would love to try tritium sometime though. The idea of it just...glowing whether it's charged or not is awesome.

I know tritium gets dimmer over time (although it's important to remember that half-life doesn't mean dead, just half as bright), but I always thought old lume looked kind of gross. I don't know if modern lume will fade to beige like old lume did.

My dream watch that I'll never get to make would have ordinary lume on the dial and hands and twelve tritium "spotlights" on the chapter ring.

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind that 15 years down the road, you can find someone to re-lume a watch. Good luck getting trits replaced.

Also, when I said under $800 for the Sumo with sapphire, I was lumping in the cost of the crystal, installation, shipping...etc plus rounding up a bit for good measure.

Doug507 likes this.
  13. zackplanet

zackplanet Loaded Pockets

Modern lume is quite impressive. It will outshine brand new tritium for the first hour and a half to two hours. This is good for places like movie theaters and I find that if I require lume for longer periods of dark, my eyes become dark adapted and keep the dial quite readable. The look of old brown lume is often due to radium used in the lume paint. It was a precursor to modern tritium tubes, but due to it being a high energy alpha emitter, the lume did not last. It sure lit up brightly when new but the alpha radiation, being ionizing radiation, destroyed the phosphors causing them to turn brown.

As far as sapphire goes, you might consider waiting to replace the crystal if it gets scratched. Many find the stock hardlex crystal to be durable enough for their day to day use. It is easy enough to purchase a sapphire crystal from yobokies or dagaz and have a local watchmaker/watch repairer install it. Having it installed is quick, easy, and most importantly a pretty cheap undertaking.

14. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked image removed per Rule 3b!
    I have a Black Citizen Nighthawk that meets all of your requirements except the Saphire Glass. I am not sure what the glass is on mine but I have to assume it is Crystal. It looks like this one:
    http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/images/bj7000-52e.jpg
    But it has a black bezel and band and side dials. I've never seen another one like it. Seen a bunch of the silver ones though like the one pictured. You can see it in my intro thread here. The glow in the dark is very impressive. I have no problem seeing it no matter what time of night it is. Eco-drive means it runs on light so no movement required and no batteries. It can sit in a drawer for an entire month without light and operate trouble free. I am in love with the Eco-Drive movement.

15. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Pick out some you like and we can discuss them...There's just too many to recommend.

Shur likes this.
  16. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Citizen will usually do it too. I know a guy with a Promaster SST who got a sapphire upgrade after he broke his crystal for around $60 when he sent it to Citizen for repair.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  17. countrystyle4life

Right on, you guys have great info. So far I'm Really digging the GSAR and the Glycine Sub. I like the Seiko but the dial face isn't really doing it for me. Thats why I asked if Yobokies does any custom work or anything like that to see if could get a face similar to the previous two with the numerical markings etc put on it. Those are probably what I'm leaning towards other ones including the Citizens don't really do it for me or don't like them.

18. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Although Glycine is not really a well-known brand, I have been really impressed with their quality ... very pleased with the Airman models.

19. RobME

RobME Loaded Pockets

Lum-Tec have models that meet all of your criteria.

20. countrystyle4life

So what would you'll buy if had the chance a GSAR a Glycine or a Seiko with sapphire and a different face (which I don't really know how much that would be lol)?