1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I am done with AAA (and AA).

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by el_murdoque, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

Get the best (and worst, ha) of both worlds. Carry a AA EDC light that can use 14500s too (eg, Lumintop EDC05 or Tool AA) and an Micro-USB Rechargeable (like a Klarus Mini One) on your keychain. That’s what I started doing recently and I really like this combo.

FiaOlleDog and el_murdoque like this.
  2. JUGRNOT

JUGRNOT Loaded Pockets

For personal EDC aaa or aa for me is the best. I use a maratac aaa and that's more than plenty for me. I also have a lumintop aaa and that also is great one is click other is twist depends on what your pleasure is.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not all primary batteries are subject to leaking (lithium AA/AAA for instance), but rechargeable batteries can catch fire or vent more readily. Your premise that flashlights not used on a regular basis need rechargeables is flawed for that reason and the fact that rechargeables have a much faster self-discharge rate. When you grab your flashlight 6 months down the road and your rechargeable is down, you would regret the decision.

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I wonder about that. I use Eneloops exclusively in my AA lights and only charge them twice a year at the most - they are no where near empty at that point. If not used at all, and assuming low to no parasitic drain, they are supposed to be able to sit for years and keep a large percentage of their charge.

Now Li ion is a different story.

FiaOlleDog, echo victor and kikaida like this.
  5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The self-discharge of rechargeable batteries is true of Ni-Cad, but not of Ni-MH and Lithium. The safety concern is with Lithium, which can be mitigated by the use of a good charger. Ni-MH do not have the same safety concern.

I have had both Ni-MH and Li-Ion batteries sit in a flashlight untouched for well over a year and still work with over 50% charge remaining in the battery.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  6. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Okay first I need a work light to be dependable I have to check a place weekly lights are not dependable and it is 300 yards between exits and 30-40 foot underground I carry a Fenix PD32 I have been carrying a Fenix E01 backup but when I get back I will change to the Olight single AAA. I want to be able to change out batteries and go. I also have a 2 AA light in my tool box and a cheap headlight that uses 3 AAA' batteries . I carry 3-4 packs of Duracell procell batteries in both AA & AAA and a pack of CR123 too plus I couple of specialty batteries in my tool box . All work supplied . There are 1 to 4 med supply rooms on every floor that have AA &AAA batteries and a recycling box at every nurses station full of batteries most of which have 90% life left because by code they have to be changed every shift I do have one of the micro usb rechargeable Olight that my wife uses and I have some enerloop aaa and aa rechargeables . But since I can take batteries from the recycle boxes home for free investing heavily in rechargeable light doesn't make sense

Rob Babcock and jcombs like this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Same here. I use eneloops as well. Eneloops are the gold standard for rechargeables.

FiaOlleDog and echo victor like this.
  8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Whereas primary AA and AAA lithiums would have had 90+% charge....and they don't leak. People have to decide for themselves what fits their usage.

9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I don’t like having to be tied to a usb charger when I’m out of the house, so I’m still a big AA fan for that and other reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  10. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Yes they do, but that decision should be based off accurate information.

I was just trying to make a clarification on your generalized statement that rechargeable batteries are a fire hazard and self-discharge to where they’re dead in less than 6 months.

Also to my point (and others here) on NiMH rechargeable batteries, I just pulled out a AAA flashlight with a NiMH AAA that has been stored for about 4 years and it has been running on low for 30 minutes so far.

#90 SOS24, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Recheck my post. I said "down", not "dead". I would urge anyone concerned to search independently to confirm my statements. Both were correct. There are legitimate reasons for using rechargeable batteries, such as LEO, emergecy workers, etc. who use a flashlight daily. For most uses, however, lithium primary batteries are a better choice and I have them in all my lights for the reasons I laid out, plus there is no initial cash outlay for rechargeable batteries and chargers. For everyday users, rechargeables could be cost effective, but for people who want to put a flashlight in their car or a drawer and count on it a year later and don't want to spend more money on accessories, it's a no-brainer.

#91 Tesla, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  12. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

Love or distain for AA/AAA is largely dependent on location. I’ve been to some VERY remote locations in the world where batteries and power are a luxury. If you aren’t carrying your own power, finding a stable source can be problematic, if not unlikely, but AA batteries are ubiquitous. I’ve bought them in tiny villages in the craziest places. Good luck finding a 123, button cell, or even a C or D cell. Some have been horrible quality, but others, not too bad, but at least they were available.

I love rechargeable batteries and use them whenever possible, but in practice, AAs are there when you need them.

kikaida, FiaOlleDog, Tesla and 4 others like this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, I agree with the above.
    Similar situation when choosing a camping stove, the fuel availability is an important factor, no point going for a certain gas canister type if you cannot easily find it in the places you are going.

Tesla likes this.
  14. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I feel like I need to stress one point:
    From the beginning of this thread (which was nearly two years ago), I was talking about EDCing a flashlight.
    My edc flashlight sits in my front left pants pocket. Every day, no matter what.
    During winter, I use it more frequent since it's dark more often. During Summer, I often switch to a smaller, lighter light that's easier to carry in shorts.
    That is, however my edc light. The light I carry because you never know when you might need it, that comes in handy a couple of times a day.
    For those lights, I can confirm that I still prefer USB recharge over AA/AAA.
    I make a difference between my EDC lights and those that are tailored to a task.

When I know that I will need a light, I'll go and grab one suited for the job.
    In most cases, that will be a light loaded with 18650 batteries, because I want high output and a long runtime, and that's the smallest you can go (to take the dog for a walk through the fields and use around a thousand lumens for the entire time).

When I know that I'll be in a place with no external power and little to no possibility to recharge, I'll surely grab a light that will run on a power source that is available there.

I do, however, not consider these tasks for an edc flashlight. My edc is with me all day every day in my natural habitat. That habitat is full of USB outlets. A change in habitat does happen, but so far, never without me knowing that beforehand.

15. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

The entire concept of EDC is to have something with you when you need it. In the vast majority of cases, we're not talking about a "big out" or survival situation. EDC is looking for the quarter you dropped under the car seat, tightening the loose screw on the chair you just sat in, or helping that guy next to you in line at the bank to remove that splinter he's complaining about to his wife.

I had had an epiphany some years ago while taking my kids to Disney. I over heard a mom cursing her expensive digital camcorder because she had accidentally turned it on when stuffing it into a backpack. With a dead battery, the memories of the day would never make it to DVD and her expensive electronics just became a heavy anchor with no purpose until the next day. Meanwhile, a family with a cheap "toy" camcorder they ran on AA batteries dropped into one of the many stores, bought new batteries, put their rechargeable cells in a pocket and were recording again. Sure, they paid $8 for two AAs, but their plans to record weren't totally annihilated.

YMMV, but to me, EDC implies utility to have an item when you need it. I fully agree that USB-powered flashlights are largely smaller, brighter, and have their place, but Murphy's Law suggests the day after you leave it in your pocket and forget to charge it, you'll need to change a tire in the rain. The 7-11 that's 30 yards down the street will have the AAs or AAAs to make that job easier again.

16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

So true what you say about that camera situation, funny a few years ago I hunted high and low to find an half decent compact camera that ran on AA batteries for the wife, just for those reasons you mentioned, I did manage to buy one in the end. No idea if they are still made today though, the wife now uses the camera on her mobile phone now, it's probably better than that camera I bought her now. Lol

17. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Wanted to share. My primary light for 6-7 years has been a little fenix PD25. Single 123A battery. Don’t know how but I managed to lose the clip off it. I emailed them to determine how to get a replacement clip. It arrived in the mail today. They make great lights and are great at customer support. I returned the same flashlight to them a year after I got it because of a hard drop. It was checked by them and returned promptly.
    It fits my definition of edc as something I can carry and rely on, knowing that it is backed by a company which supports customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I can distinctly remember about half a dozen situations where I pulled my AAA flashlight from my pocket, only to realize that I needed a bit more than the 130 Lumens the AAA provides - and that carrying a light did not help me at all in those cases.

My Olight S1RII Baton would have provided sufficient light in each of those situations.

Furthermore, I can not remember a single case where I forgot to charge my light in time and sitting in the dark as a result.
    I can, however remember lots of cases where my AAA or AA light died on me.
    The reason is simple. When running on non rechargeable batteries you want to use them until they are spent.
    When running on rechargeable batteries, you top them up when you're not sure.

neo71665 likes this.
  19. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

Some good points there. I agree with you that primary AAs are "use them until they die." Great observation!

My EDC has been a Manker T01 for several years - great throw and 900 lumens with a 14500 that I keep topped off, but still pushing 500 lumens with decent throw on a primary AA or Eneloop. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I've travelled with this light to South Africa, Kenya, Madagascar, Hong Kong, and The Philippines with not a so much as a burp in performance. I wish there was an "updated" version with a more contemporary LED, bit still maintaining the form factor and decent size reflector for respectable throw.

Archive likes this.
  20. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I stick with EDCing a flashlight that can use standard AA/AAA batteries (can be found almost anywhere like in shops or in TV remote controls if needed, etc.) - but use those with NiMH (AAA Eneloop) or 14500 (AA-size) to get longer runtimes / higher lumen output and prevent leaking.

I could carry an USB rechargeable flashlight (like NiteCore thumb) - but almost all of them can not be used while charging, which could bring me in trouble if the internal battery is down and i need some illumination NOW. Hence sticking with flashlights that run on replaceable batteries; nothing is quicker than replacing such a thing in seconds.

Of course I do have other flashlights (18650) for dedicated purpose - I'll grab those when i know i [might] need them (outdoor exploration, etc.). I do carry at least one if not two charged spare batteries (18650) - and all this in addition to my EDC flashlights, which will become backups during those events.

el_murdoque, kikaida and dmattaponi like this.