1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I am done with AAA (and AA).

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by el_murdoque, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

What do you mean? You're the first one that's negative about this little light.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dude?
    and I do not mean man.

I thought I was the first!

3. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

That was about it turning on. But for what I understand is that he thinks it breaks fast?

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I mean it quits working...go to Amazon (where it got 17% 1 star reviews in large part for DOA) or research it on Candlepower forums & you'll see that it's very subject to infant mortality. I'm only the first one to speak up here about it. Non-replaceable batteries are a non-starter for me.

6. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

I also recently made the switch to a USB rechargeable edc light, the Streamlight Microstream. I also use my light frequently for work and so far have no issues with it dying on the job. I just charge it when I get home if I feel I drained it significantly during the day. The biggest pro with a rechargeable light for me is, I can top it off any time I want and not have to throw away partially good batteries. I also have a replacement cell on hand in case I ever have an issue with the original. Picked it up online for about $12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I have a Xtar flashlight that runs off a 18650 battery. I am able to recharge the battery in the flashlight with a USB cable. I love this light. It bright and fits in my pant pockets with minimal issues.

When FourSevens was closing out their inventory, I picked up a few of their Mini MK II lights and a few extra of their RCR123 batteries. I have those lights on a key ring with a delrin battery locker from CountyComm. That is of course holding an extra battery charged and ready to go. I keep a USB battery charger in my bag and desk. I can switch out a battery and then recharge on my convenience.

That all said, I am still hanging on my my Eneloops. Besides flashlights, I have numerous items around the house that take AA/AAA batteries such as remotes, label maker, timers, GPS, trimmers and so on.

8. elgie.l

elgie.l Loaded Pockets

The usb lights are cheap enough to have two. One in use and one in the charger. And I’m not sure anyone following this forum only owns one light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

But you can get adapters that plug into the mains or 12 volts which provide a USB outlet so I don't get that argument.

Like with charging a mobile phone, it's just something you get in the habit of doing, whether it's when I'm sat at a PC or driving, personally I don't find it a chore to top off the battery in my light too.

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I use both. Have a d4 with 18650 or 18350 with me and also a thrunite t10.
    The t10 also accepts 14500s. So I have a lot of power and options.

14500 lights are powerful, portable and can switch to AA.

In my bacpack is a powerbank and the olight universal magnetic charger. I got all covered.

#30 flux, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  11. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Most of the reasons stated here for not going into that direction were reasons that kept me using AAA/AA lights for so long.

When I received the Olight S1 mini Baton, those reasons evaporated.
    It has the charging port on the battery, not built into the lamp itself. That was the reason for me to initially chose that light over the S1R Baton, which requires the battery to be charged either inside the lamp or in a special charger, and even for charging it in the lamp, you need the provided cable.
    The S1 mini battery just needs a standard micro USB phone charger.
    So what do you do when the battery runs out?
    You despair, pop the battery in the charger and rock back and forth hugging your knees, in the shine of the tiny red LED indicating the charging status.
    Or you pop in a spare cr123a that will fit in there while the battery charges. The turbo setting will not be available with a normal 123, but you'll have plenty of light on the normal settings.
    Or even better/cheaper: You came prepared because you've spent 8 bucks on a spare rechargeable battery from Olight.
    In my neck of the woods, the best deal I could find on cr123a's was 12.99 on a 12-pack, so it's still more than a buck a piece and the rechargeable option is a lot cheaper in the long run.

I edc my light but don't use it for long periods of time each day.

My Olight mini baton was joined by a S1R II with all the disadvatages stated above. The only thing I can hold against that is that it has a battery charge indicator LED that changes from green to yellow at around 60% and to red at 10%. This gives me the opportunity to choose another light before leaving the house, which is better than nothing. I will determine whether or not that works out for me.

12. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I love aa/aaa flashlights but because I carry a smartphone all the time, I have become more lazy in carrying them because the smartphone’s flash isn’t all that bad.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'm a believer in the KISS theory. Like everything else the more "techie" something is, the more failure modes. A lot of this depends on how much you actually use a light as to whether rechargeables are worthwhile. As mentioned above, if you want to avoid having your battery take a dump just when you need it, you need redundancy on batteries at a minimum...or carry around a somewhat bulky power pack or charger...and then wait while it charges. All of this stuff eventually winds up in the landfill, so I don't put too much emphasis on the ecofriendly part of rechargeables. The rechargeable part is not exactly free, either--like as not, the power TO the charger is coming from a non ecofriendly hyrdocarbon source. I use a flashlight fairly frequently, but not for long at a time & not frequently on high, so a lithium AAA lasts about 6 months for me...YMMV and that's where you have to make the decision. Rechargeables have a faster self-discharge mode, so they are not great for an often carried, but infrequently used light, either--which is likely the case for most users.

14. Kris69

Kris69 Loaded Pockets

You sir know what you are talking about, agree 100%
    Cheers

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

To me it’s kinda like my phone. I’d rather it be rechargeable and charge it regularly than have to use disposable batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

That's just the thing...you really have no option for batteries on a phone, anyway. With a conventionally fed flashlight in AA & AAA, you have the option of carbon zinc, alkaline, lithium 1.5 v (nominal), ni-cad, or nimh (the latter 2 rechargeable). You have all options at your disposal, if you like. If your phone battery goes bad, you're out of easy options...you have to go to a phone store or wait for one to come from Amazon or other online source. With a conventional AA/AAA flashlight, you can walk into a convenience store, bum some off the office supply person or an acquaintance, steal some out of your kids toy....you get the picture. It's also intriguing that some of the portable power bank devices use (wait for it)....conventional alkaline batteries.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is no wrong or right here that works for everyone.

18. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

well,
    Nah.. Primary batteries will leak, you need to buy new ones when they are empty and NiMH can provide higher higher output than disposable cells. primaries are ok as backup option but if anyone use their lights on a regular basis, they should get NiMh rechargables or Li-Ion. If you don't use your flashlight on a regular basis, you also should get rechargables, because primaries will leak and destroy your light.

You can buy powerpacks with replaceable Li-Ions inside that also work as a charger, like the trunite T2 charger. Or just buy a light with built in charging..

High powered lights will chew through your primaries like nothing. It is a no brainer to use rechargeables these days. You don't have to be a environmental activitist to understand this. Your wallet also tells you it is better. Putting primaries in a good light is basically stupid, because you will get less output and risk ruining your good light.

neo71665 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  19. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

well,
    Nah.. Primary batteries will leak, you need to buy new ones when they are empty and NiMH can provide higher higher output than disposable cells. primaries are ok as backup option but if anyone use their lights on a regular basis, they should get NiMh rechargeables or Li-Ion. If you don't use your flashlight on a regular basis, you also should get rechargables, because primaries will leak and destroy your light.

You can buy powerpacks with replaceable Li-Ions inside that also work as a charger, like the trunite T2 charger. Or just buy a light with built in charging..

High powered lights will chew through your primaries like nothing. It is a no brainer to use rechargeables these days. You don't have to be a environmental activitist to understand this. Your wallet also tells you it is better. Putting primaries in a good light is basically stupid, because you will get less output and risk ruining your good light.

20. Kris69

Kris69 Loaded Pockets

Hm, i don't see where did you read that lithium aaa will leak because Tesla mentioned he use lithium battery in post i liked (so a lithium AAA lasts about 6 months for me)

And yes, i use eneloops for at least 10 years now and never had any problems with them.

Eneloops with lsd tehnology (made in Japan) keep their "juice" better than all that modern china power banks...

But yea flux, whatever works for you i am fine with that ;)

twin63 likes this.