1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I’ve come to realize many people do not know weapon laws

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by SOS24, Jun 17, 2018.

1. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I saw a woman act as if she was threatened by a displayed Vic Classic when she had 4” scissors on her desk and a pairing knife for her lunch. Just because it was a pocket knife she said claimed it was a weapon and actually mentioned reporting him to HR. She was told state law allows anything less than 4 1/2” then mentioned her doctor works in Philadelphia which is 1500 miles away.

Some people are drama queens and unfortunately some drama queens write and enact state laws.

HardToHandle likes this.
  2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

This works as long as you are dealing with normal repetitive travel like a commute. Weekend travel with errands and unexpected side trips is a bit more problematic and has me reaching for the least "offensive" knife possible. At home, I am usually carrying a fixed blade which my state requires be open-carried.

Of course the last time I open carried a fixed blade in public it was a Chen Sunshine that apparently made someone nervous enough to send the police to talk to me (in a hospital waiting room). It wasn't like I was TACed out.... I remember correctly I was wearing T-Shirt and a pair of khaki shorts.

The knife was perfectly legal in terms of length and carry, but while the police officers were polite they made it clear that my only options was to stow the knife in my car or have it confiscated.

The legality of knifes is irksome when those tasked with enforcing the laws either don't know them or will accommodate the more nervous members of society.

ATB,
    Sam

3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

@indigo_wolf Well, unless something truly unusual occurs, I am only within reasonable drive of 3 states, and I only routinely go to two of them. Two of them (mine and the nearby one I rarely visit) are completely knife friendly, and the third, that I work in, I have sorted out.

There is the other wrinkle that you mentioned in your post about being in a hospital waiting room - and that is the right of private property owners to decide what can and can't be carried on their property. Which means you might not be violating a law, but a business place can require that you not carry something on their premises.

Sometimes, the law says they have to post a sign if they want their right to override your right, but that also varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Which goes to the point of the original post - it's hard for the average person to know whether they (or someone else that they observe) are violating a law or not.

Interesting, as old laws are modified or repealed, it can be somewhat piecemeal. For example - in my state I can legally carry any sort of bladed implement, concealed or not, and I can carry without a permit a firearm in my vehicle. However, if I carry anything that might be considered a club (such as a police nightstick), I would have to not only attend a state-approved training course, but also carry proof of completion of the course on my person. So - Glock and katana, OK. Piece of wood, need a training class.

aicolainen likes this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I would hate to deal with that on a daily basis, as is I hate when I go to visit family in NY and MA from Virginia. Those two states and the various states I travel through have some very unfriendly laws for anything self-defense related.

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

It's a non-issue for me. The things I choose to carry with me are perfectly legal in all locations I travel through regularly.

SOS24 likes this.
  6. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Fully agree
    Unfortunately many people still have that mentality

Is that because different states have different laws

Please correct if I'm wrong, but I read that NY (for example) requires you to conceal you knife while California requires open carry

7. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Similar with me

(In South Afr)
    The old law stated a knife with a blade over 10cm or a dagger was considered a dangerous weapon

The new law basically states any object other than a fire arm capable of inflicting injury is considered a dangerous weapon
    If the cop decides you will use it for unlawful means you can be charged.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

A city can have a different and stricter ordinance than the county which can have a different and stricter ordinance than the state. NYC has a much stricter ordinance than upstate NY. The same with Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. Texas eliminated this scenario in 2017 with a bipartisan bill.

9. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Ah I see. Thanks :)

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Image living near the state border and commuting into the other state which complicates knife laws especially in the north east.

My BiL faced different laws within the same state by commuting from Comal County into Bexar County then the city of San Antonio. His Leatherman could have been considered illegal in San Antonio.

The arrest resulted in the state legislature enacting a statewide law overriding the San Antonio city ordinance.