1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I’ve come to realize many people do not know weapon laws

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by SOS24, Jun 17, 2018.

1. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

As I’ve become more aware of the need to defend myself, I have done a lot of research into the weapon laws of various states. When talking weapons, I think many people think about guns and knives but necessarily other items so they assume they are all legal.

What many people don’t realize is depending on the state you go to various items are illegal.
    - Stun guns or tasers are illegal in lots of states, even those flashlights with the electrical probe at the top
    - Pepper spray is illegal or highly regulated in certain states
    - Brass knuckles are oftern thought of as just the metal ones, but some states talk about any material include plastic or similar designs.
    - Some states have laws against “slungshots”. Which by definition are a mass or balls connected to a type of string, which could be interpreted as a monkey fist.
    - Nunchucks and chinese stars are illegal in some states.

I put this because I’ve talked to different people who were oblivious, or even went as far as to call me a liar, when talking about these laws. I can’t say how heavily enforced they are but it is definitely something to be aware of.

2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

So glad I moved out of California.

Trevor98 likes this.
  3. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Taking things further.... Some counties, cities, unincorporated communities, etc... will also have restrictive weapon laws. On top of all that, the laws can change on a yearly basis or so and not everyone will follow. Throw in media hype, embellished 2nd hand knowledge, etc... and before you know it, you have a ton of people ignorant of themselves and the applicable laws that pertain to their carry. There is also a broad assumption that what is illegal in one place is illegal everywhere.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hate to bring it up, but there are a LOT of places in US with restrictions at least as bad as California for knives. Just off the top of my head: NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago...! PLUS just about any government building, sports stadiums, concert halls, etc etc etc

Almost makes you want to go live in isolation on a mountain top.

OR emigrate...! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

California, NY, and Massachusetts are all big ones for what I would consider anti-self-defense states. All three of them put a lot of restrictions on not just guns, but many of the other self-defense tools. Frequent travel to NY and Massachusetts and trying to figure out what I was legally able to have is what got me looking at all the different laws. It is concerning how usually you could be breaking the law without even realizing.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Once had someone actively cower away from me when I used a Vic Pioneer to open a food package on campus. This is in Kentucky, where most people I'm aware of do carry a knife of some sort for the utility aspect.

People are remarkably ignorant about things they think can hurt them.

7. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

That is a shame when people fear common place tools.

My point was more to those self-defense tools advertised usually for women looking for protection. Women purchase these and carry these items oblivious to the fact that some are illegal in certain states.

An example is me telling an acquaintance to be careful when traveling home (VA to RI) carrying her flashlight with built in electrodes (stun gun) and Cat knuckles because they were illegal in a some of the states she would be going through or in RI itself. She didn’t believe me until I sent her the links to the actual state weapon laws.

thatotherguy likes this.
  8. thatotherguy

The person in question was a native Londoner transplanted to Kentucky for university, so it was understandable given London knife culture. Still sad that so many people are conditioned to believe that a Swiss army knife is a dangerous weapon, though.

I had a conversation a couple of days ago about the legality of brass knuckles in the Commonwealth. The other party was commenting on the fact that they had seen a uniformed LEO patrolling a flea market which was selling brass knucks and didn't do anything about it. Said person did not believe that Kentucky weapons law allows for possession of artificial knuckles, but not carry, until I pulled up the law, in Legalese, and let him read it.

9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Exactly. People assume that because they can buy them, they must be legal, but unfortunately, that is not always the case or just because you can legally possess doesn’t mean carrying is legal.

thatotherguy likes this.
  10. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Generally, in the US, relative freedom is restricted in the blue states. Anything with weapons is usually harder to come by in the blue states - red vs. blue states.

The generalization doesn’t really carry that well in the details, such as the point of the original poster.
    Texas seems focused on restrictions - https://www.txcrimdefense.com/weapons-illegal-in-texas/

11. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Nothing is funnier, than someone trying to open a package with a pair of dull scissors .A knife is a tool plain and simple.
    I believe every creature has the right to defend themselves against attack. I lucky enough to have been able to carry a pocket knife all of my life . And a pistol at times . Criminals are really at risk in ccw states .

Jake

HardToHandle and thatotherguy like this.
  12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

13. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Here in the U.K. because of the escalation in knife crime they are planning new laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/18/plans-to-make-delivery-of-knives-sold-online-to-private-addresses-illegal-knife-crime

Much the same as you can’t buy an airgun online with home delivery. They seem to be really tightening down. Even a Leatherman can get you into trouble.

Thing is too when I was a lad if you carried a knife for fighting with you were branded a coward. You didn’t sort out your beef with someone with a weapon. It was bare knuckles all the way, and I went to school and lived in a tough area.

HardToHandle likes this.
  14. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

First rule of thump: Don’t get caught! LOL!

15. thatotherguy

It always used to surprise me that Bowie knives were explicitly banned in Texas for a long time. Jim Bowie died at the Alamo, according to legend, trying to fight to his last breath with his famous knife in his hand. The Bowie is inextricably linked to Texan history and what many people believe is the true Bowie, designed by Rezin Bowie and carried by James at his last battle, resides in the Alamo museum.

To me, it's like Kentucky banning bourbon or horse racing. Just doesn't make sense.

HardToHandle likes this.
  16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

To the best of my knowledge Jim Bowie didn't require a CCW either.... then as populations increased, so did the bozo quotient, commensurately (as is so often the case with humans). Falls under the "This is why we can't have nice things."

Consider yourself fairly lucky with respect to gun laws compared to other states.
    https://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/texas-gun-laws

ATB,
    Sam

thatotherguy likes this.
  17. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

My side its the cops who don't know weapon laws.

Got pulled over and the cop saw the hilt of my knife and asked to see it
    I cooperated and he told me I'm carrying a dangerous weapon because the blade is thicker than his hand

So I asked If he was a bigger man with bigger hands is the knife now legal? Then told him how the law really works
    He answered "hey, you can't teach me in the streets! They have to teach us in training", returned my knife and let me go

18. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Sorry state of things in the UK methinks

I’ve been an anglophile most of my life but the past 20 or so years have really dampened my enthusiasm

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

HardToHandle likes this.
  19. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

This urban myth needs to have been to put to rest decades ago.

Sadly the way knife laws are written in most states & local areas you can be in and out of legal status many times over within a 1 hour drive. I like to refer to it as the "Crazy Quilt of Legality." It's rather infuriating.

ATB,
    Sam

20. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

My home state in the US revised their knife laws several years ago to remove almost all references to knives in the weapon laws (essentially making everything legal because they are no longer mentioned as being illegal) and included a preemption clause so state law overrides local ordinances.

However, I have to commute to a neighboring state for my job, which has more complex knife laws, and does not include statewide preemption. So every work day I deal with 4 different legal jurisdictions - my home state, and the city, county, and state laws of where I work. I have reviewed them all, so I know what I can and can't own/carry.