1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I’m really satisfied with cheap pens/pencils…

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by dmattaponi, Jun 18, 2021.

1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Whoa, bummer ya lost your TT! That's no fun!

And, way to go to get to that decision! I was pretty much almost gettin' to that conclusion after snaggin' the RetroClick at a discount (mentioned over yonder), yet there are still some which interest me to wanna use (such as Kelvin Verrett's Urban Survival Gear TiScribe-Go & Adam Hogsett's Machine Era Bolt-action Field Pen V2, which will drop soon).

However, I feel like I should be getting to that same point soon, if that counts for somethin'... Kudos to y'all!

:cool:

Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

So thats just it guys..
    I totally get it.. most all of my machined pens are well made and will last a lifetime.. I enjoy them immensely.

My problem isnt necessary their costs per say ..rather if I lose or damage one ..yeah I'm pissed about the costs etc...but I
    just get really attached to my pens.

This is not just a problem I have... . I see it all the time on another forum/r ; people looking for another of some cheap
    pen they've picked up at the doctors office..

So even with the machined pens I found if want then to get another one for what I lost...nope. The maker has moved on...the model is
    either redesigned or , more likely, out of stock.. I do see some makers making the same model with no redesigns and I must say I respect them even if the design was not for me.. So I've seen it with cheap pens and expensive pens. I say pick a price point your comfortable with
    and buy several of the ones you like ...

3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

:) $5.99 [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. dmattaponi

I’ve lost count of how many Fisher Space pens I’ve absentmindedly left behind on a lecture room desk, or have had carried away by someone asking to borrow a pen. Now I keep the Space Pen in my pocket edc for personal use only and keep a cheap Bic in a shirt pocket, and a bunch more in my work bag (and around the house) for the day to day routine stuff. I also like to keep a pen or two on my home desk and night stand which I keep finding missing because my wife carries them off and rarely remembers where she left them. So the cheap pens save me quite a bit of money on both replacement space pens and space pen refills.

#24 dmattaponi, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Its a crying shame we can't "like" a post more than once! This deserves at least a 23.

These are my favorite Bic pens, slightly flexible, tougher than the crystal sticks, and they ALWAYS work.

Last edited by jackknife, Aug 2, 2021
    #25 jackknife, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    dmattaponi likes this.
  6. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Do any of you guys like this Sharpie gel pen?
    I rather like it. It's similar to the Pilot G2. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Another really great smooth writing pen is the Pilot G2 gel. Writes like the old fountain pens, and is 2.95 for a two pack. And you can see how much ink is left.

Bic's, Sharpies, and Pilots are like the SAK's, Opinel's, and Gerber LST's of the writing world.

Bad Company likes this.
  8. dmattaponi

Sorry, haven’t used one of those.

9. dmattaponi

I like them. They are what I use everyday. I keep a couple of boxes of both the blue and black ink “Round Stics” handy in my home office supply drawer.

10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

A coworker gave me one to try a while back (I think it was the 0.5mm). Not bad at all on the cheap copy paper we use.

dmattaponi and Bad Company like this.
  11. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

I will say that my first fave disposable writing instruments (wayyy back when), which came in packs, were the Pentel RSVP capped ones, which I think are still around. Had 'em with black ink and I later saw them with other colors and where I think the grip and endcap colors also indicated what the ink was. Don't remember the price if they're comparable to the bic round stics or cristals though...

:cool:

12. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Yeah I like cheap pens too, at work, I keep a bunch of cheapos and keep my nice one at home.

I dont pocket carry a pen anyways.

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Since my ringbinder with both of my type 99 RITR mechanical pencils (YE99 and RE99) was stolen (don;t get me started, I'm still p- [Language, Timothy!] - peeved - four months on). Now, the 99 series of mechanical pencils are rare as hens teeth over here in the UK atm, where a year to two years ago, they were common as muck, comparatively speaking.

So I've gone back to bog standard pencils that CAN be replaced. With a twist (pun intended ;))...

I now use Faber-Castell Perfect Pencils; they come in a two-element format, with a pencil, and a cap which is equipped with a pocket clip, and which also contains a pencil sharpener; I carry two of these things, one with the supplied B pencil lead (roughly a #1 grade in US parlance), and in the other, I've replaced the pencil with a Faber-Castell Polychromos (in their scarlet red No 118 colour) pencil; there are work-related reasons for the red pencil.

I also carry two pens, a RITR clicker in high-vis orange (black ink), and the pen in my Trayvax Summit wallet, a Fisher Space Pen (again, black ink).

GRH, jackknife, twin63 and 1 other person like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Roger, your post states a very big reason I have went back to basics. How easy is it to replace the thing?

In the past and my younger days, I carried a wide variety of high dollar items that had great bragging rights, but didn't really do the job any better than a much lower item on the totem pole. Fancy high end pens that didn't sign a check any better than a Bic, A Randall knife that didn't field dress that deer any better than a Buck knife. A fancy watch that didn't tell me what time it was any better than a 14.95 Casio analog.

The whole EDC thing and gear snob appeal can get ridiculous and out of hand. I've went back to carrying a Bic pen or plain old wood pencil, a Gerber LST pocket knife, a Casio 14.95 watch instead of the over priced Seiko that needed expensive cleanings to keep running. And I'm happier in that I don't worry about any of it as I can replace anything at the next big box store I come to.

parnass, dmattaponi and RogerStenning like this.
  15. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Saw your post, thought I’d give them a try. Got a four pack black ink bold, gave two to a co worker to try.

dmattaponi, Bad Company and twin63 like this.
  16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

The binder, easy enough; it's a bog standard A6-size 6-ring conference binder. You can get them off amazon cheaply enough (mine's a zip-closure job). The xx99 pencils in Yellow and Red not so much. They're impossible to get over here - dunno about the US, but I think RITR discontinued them, given they're MIA now, and that REALLY irked me. There were a couple of stylus/pens in there too, and some work related docs (nothing irreplaceable on that last score, just proformas, log blanks, and so on), so while exceptionally irritating, not impossible to replace with a new binder and different pens/pencils. The docs were simple enough to replace, blank forms and proformas.

It was the inconvenience more than anything else, well, that and the loss of two irreplaceable mechanical pencils, of course. I LIKED those pencils :stomp:

No other EDC kit was lost, thankfully, as I don;t keep cards or valuables in the binder: It's a dedicated work thing for me.

My wallet's a Trayvax Summit, with the notepad and the space pen; I carry an Olight S1R Mk1 baton, a couple of med-related items (incl hand sanitiser), and in my EDC sling sack, a trauma kit, power bank, flask for coffee or water (depending on the weather for the day), plus a small Ouch Pouch (band aids, pain killers, Imodium, Neurofen meltlets), Eye Relief dropper (Optrex Actimist), a pair of milspec ear defender plugs, and a Leatherman Wave+ incl driver set and extender, plus a small ratchet driver. That lot tends to satisfy most any of the usual needs of the day to day work environment (I'm a bus driver and former Army Reservist here in the UK). The wrist watch, btw, is a Seiko 7S36-03J0 on a blaze Orange Zulu strap, and I keep a spare strap and bar kit in the bag, just in case (a lesson in experience a few years back!) :)

Also, being a licence Radio Amateur (G1LIW), I also carry a radio with me (hanging off my belt most of the time); an Anytone AT-D868UV, currently fitted with a HuaHong HH-S518+ dual band (2m/70cm) semi-stub antenna for compactness. :)

Cheers,

Roger

17. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at getting something a little better than plastic bics etc. Unrelated, I was searching through some of my parents old belongings and found an SS Jotter and a SS fountain pen and cartridges still in original boxes. They must be 30 years old at a minimum!
    So I'm replacing my cheap pens with something free!:)

ran23, twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  18. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The only pens I've found that write better than the Bic, is the Pilot G2 gel pens. They write like the old fountain/cartridge pens that we learned writing in elementary school when I was a kid. The Pilot gives a very smooth even flow onto the paper almost effortlessly. Last time I bought they were two for something like 3 dollars. But I don't think they are as rugged for pocket carry day in and day out, so I stick with the Bic round stick for carry and the pilot is on my desk for bill paying duty.

dmattaponi likes this.