1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I’m really satisfied with cheap pens/pencils…

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by dmattaponi, Jun 18, 2021.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

In all seriousness, I’ve discovered that 10-20 cent Bic pens and Papermate pencils do everything I can reasonable expect them to do for my edc needs, and if I lose one, no biggie. I have a couple hundred of them in my desk drawer waiting to fill in (pun intended) :) Why am I writing this here? Because it came as kind of an epiphany to me recently. Maybe it will help some of you too ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jackknife, garza, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  2. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

I have numerous nice pens and pencils. I have worked in three different art supply stores in my life with good employee discounts. So because of that and my obvious love of edc tools I have tried many. However there will always be a place in my edc for a good classic cheap pen and pencil. I know you enjoy the sharpwriter pencils and I do as well and as far as my daily carry in pants pocket pen I have a love for the pokka pens. Basically a bic that when capped is much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 and dmattaponi like this.
  3. dmattaponi

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the info. I’ve not heard of polka pens. I’ll be checking them out.

4. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

My latest pen, is the zebra X701. Working well. Got 2 for the price of 1 at office max store closing. Pencils have changed, from my favorite niji pro 350 to assorted blue correctable and no. 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 and dmattaponi like this.
  5. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

My cheapie Pilot G2 writes a heck of alot better than any Montblanc, Tactile Turn, or any other fancy pen that I've ever owned. $300.00 titanium pens are a waste of money. Ever seen all those expensive titanium pens on Monkey Edge?

kukla and dmattaponi like this.
  6. dmattaponi

Never heard of Monkey Edge, and if they are charging that much for a pen, I don’t think I want to :)

I few minutes before typing this I was using a Bic Round Stic ball point pen. Cost 10 cents. I have a box of 60. Seemed to be working just fine to me. Lol

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As much as I appreciate fine craftsmanship, I loose pens and pencils like it's an Olympic event. However, being a lefty, I can't write well with most ball points. I mostly use decent quality mass-marketed pens and pencils.

At work, I use the pens and pencils my company provides - Pentel P205 pencils and Pilot V5 pens.

At home, I typically use decent quality wood pencils or pens like the Pilot G2.

kukla, garza, adnj and 2 others like this.
  8. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bic Crystal & Staedtler 122-HB, at work and at home.
    I tend to leave somewhere and loose pens and pencils too, so going cheap is great for me.
    I recently fell down in a rabbit hole (as you guys say on the other side of the pond), a really tempting "promo"... 4 boxes of Bic Crystal blue 50 each for ... 4 Euro all (six bucks approx). Now i have lot of pens to spree down everywhere, if they don't come useless because of ink's drying :)

#8 Nick4305, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    dmattaponi and jag-engr like this.
  9. dmattaponi

Haha, I’ve done the same. Hard to resist those prices.

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

lol, this is one of the reasons I appreciate decent cheap pens so much. I’ve lost so many Fisher Bullet pens over the years that I’ve lost count. For the price of one Bullet, I can have 180 Bics :)…and I can’t tell the difference between their medium point (which I like) blue or black ball point ink in my overseas made $1.60 pocket notebook )versus the overseas made Moleskines I used to carry for 10x the price.

11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

What I use is Uniball Onyx, BIC Retractable Ballpoint, Pilot G-2, along with the Pilot G-2 pencil.

I still buy and carry nicer, more expensive pens with me in a suit jacket pocket - but I still don't seem to ever use them. I also get to stash a few of the cheap pens wherever I may want to use one so I don't need to always have one with me.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  12. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Call me old but the problem I had was I went to school with Papermate pens.. they kept discontinuing one design after another... so as soon as I got
    used to one pen they stopped making them. Sadly with some of the machined pens its the same thing..the designs seem to change after a couple of years. Guess I need to get over it and just use them as a tool to write with..

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. dmattaponi

I’ve used the G2 pencils. I like them.

14. dmattaponi

I agree. It’s disappointing when they no longer make one we liked.

15. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

This is a discovery I made many years go; the higher the price, the more hype and sheer bullhocky there is. I tried all kinds of pens, and used to swear by my old Cross pen. But I finally retired it, because I was tired of not seeing that is was low on ink, and going dry at inopportune times. I've tried all kinds of pens, but the tried and old Bic is still the best value out there. Reliable, cheap, and it always writes just fine. Remember, it was that French guy named Bich who made the breakthrough in the ink formula that laid the groundwork for the ball point pen. He dropped the H because he didn't like how it was pronounced in America.

I used to carry a Zippo lighter for almost 40 years. I finally got tired of it running out of fuel, or leaking in my pocket and giving me a nice red chemical burn on my thigh. I switched to a Bic lighter and haven't been sorry since. Can daily check fuel level, always works, and can be replaced at the next convenience store I pass. I had a spare Bic lighter in my trucks emergency kit and after 5 years it still worked fine when I took it and tried it. Same with the two Bic pens I had in the glove box for years. Always worked when needed. I especially love the softer plastic Bic stick pens that are a little flexible and don't crack in the pocket if you sit down on it.

I shave with a Bic razor when I trim my beard every few days. I love Bic products!

Last edited by jackknife, Jul 25, 2021
    #15 jackknife, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    RMinNJ, Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  16. dmattaponi

Wisdom spoken (typed :)) from experience. I hear ya.

17. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Paper Mate is pretty darn good too. I was walking in a wooded area on a rainy day and there on the trail, half sunk in the damp ground, was a Paper Mate stick pen. One of those light pastel blue solid stick pens with a cap. I picked it up and took out the small pad in my short pocket and it wrote! No having to scribble around to get the ink going, just right off the bat a nice blue line. Like the Bic lighter I found laying in the dirt on another hike some years ago, that when I picked it up it lit the first try.

Cheap stuff, sometimes you can't beat it with a stick. Like jute twine, basic Victorinox SAK's like recruit and classic, Fenix E01, Gerber LST pocket knife, Bic pens. They just work.

I just tossed my Zebra 701 in the trash. I dug it out of the drawer to see if I was being too hasty, and it worked for a day, then started to do the skipping thing, or having to scribble to get it going. Filler was still half full. Into the trash can it went, Bic stick pen back in pocket. And sometimes I don't even carry that; I will carry a little golf pencil to make notes in my pad. I still love a pencil. They always work, never run dry, don't leak, can go through the wash with no trouble, and the point, when scraped with a knife gives you powdered graphite which is the finest dry lubricant you can use in a pinch on fishing reels, door locks, or gun mechanisms in the field.

dmattaponi and echo victor like this.
  18. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I hear you guys... this week I'm writing with my trusty Parker Jotter... I know if it breaks or I lose it I can pick up another one; it won't be discontinued and it will still be the same diameter and shape. My Rickshaw sleeve allows me to carry it in my pocket.

Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  19. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

I just lost my titanium Tactile Turn side click pen.
    I'm not going to pay to get another one.
    I was using it because a Pilot G2 could fit in it.
    I've decided to not buy expensive pens anymore.

dmattaponi, RMinNJ and kukla like this.
  20. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

when I lose a pen or pencil, I replace it with another cheapie from my desk, and never look back.
    a WD-40 pocket protector is far more important than what goes in it!

Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.