1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Question - Lost your old Wave

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by speedy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

HYPOTHETICALLY if you were to lose your old/original Wave, what would you replace it with?

I ask this after finding a lot of comparisons to the old and new Wave and how most seem to like the older/original Wave more. Yes I know you can see if anyone is selling their old Wave and blah blah blah.

Focusing on the topic, if you lose your old Wave what would be the "current" replacement be and that Leatherman currently sells? Meaning no retired tools!

2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

I've got a LM Charge and a Swisstool. Both are excellent quality but as a user I prefer the Charge (changeable screwdriver bits & One hand opening probably swing it for me)

znapschatz likes this.
  4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I lost mine about 2006, went out to buy another, just to find out 2nd gen was out. Got it. later found another first gen, thought it was mine on a previous job site.

5. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Charge TTi or swisstool.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

6. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Today I asked about a turn-in program if someone wanted to turn-in their Original Wave for a discounted New Model Wave could they. The woman said the following which basically from what I can tell is, break it, turn it in, and ask for a replacement, and hope you get the New Version.

7. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

I misplaced my original wave so bought a charge tti as normally happens found my wave about a week later, since getting the charge I've not used the wave again it's become my back up tool.

8. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

The Supertool is (and was) my choice. It's big, oogly and heavy duty. I team it with a Climber version of SAK. I can open a bottle of wine with the SAK or cut Sheetrock with the ST. Cheers!

znapschatz likes this.
  9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I like the new Wave, but I also like the old Wave. If I lost my old one I'd likely replace it with the same model via eBay.

10. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I would buy a Surge. I wouldn't carry a Wave in a pocket. So if I'm going to carry it on my belt anyway, I would rather have the Surge. I prefer the scissors on the outside plus like where you can put different saw blades in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Replace it with a SOG Power Play.
    1) It has every thing a Wave has on it.
    2) The blades take a fantastic edge and are very easy to retouch.
    3) The Power play takes normal 1/4" bits so you can build a bit kit that meets your personal requirements very economically.
    4) The PowerPliers beat the Waves Plier head hands down.
    The above comes from experience.

12. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

Went through this myself. Started carrying the new wave after loosing the old. Finally found the old when I moved the couch so I can carry it again. The new wave is a fine tool but its just not as comfortable to carry and use as the old.

Leatherman would be smart to do a run of the old sold as a wave 'classic'

Collingwood likes this.
  13. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

If I lost my precious I would replace it with a Charge TTi and all the bits.
    [​IMG]

14. fisk-king

fisk-king Loaded Pockets

I lost mine ~2 years ago (along with a skinth pouch) and replaced it with the Surge model. The weight is useful in some applications but slightly irritating carrying it on my belt daily. I do miss my Wave .

Typed by my butler Jenkins on tapatalk

15. White95

White95 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up an old wave and would be willing to trade for a new one!

16. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

This thread just became relevant for me, since I just lost four Original Waves...to Leatherman Warranty. Sent them in broken/worn and got back four New Waves along with a Charge TTI to replace a Charge XTI. New tools for old, but somehow I feel like I came out on the short end. I just don't like the New Wave. It looks like I'll be bidding on some auctions.

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Really bonded with the Super Tool, used it almost exclusively for nine years, but got wooed away by the siren call of the Charge TTi. Couldn't resist the OHO in place of the ST awkward blade unlocking procedure, and the TTi compact tool accessories. Nostalgia has its place, but it was time to move on.

I tried a Surge. Great tool set, but it was just too :censored: heavy. I had figured I could manage 3.5 oz. more than the ST I had been toting for so long without problems, but I was wrong. I tried to get used to it, but in the end had to admit it was just too much for me as an EDC. If you can deal with it, fine. Not me, I must admit.

18. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I did lose my old wave (to Leatherman warranty) and i don't like the new one - so it lives on my harness, and my EDC is a Swisstool.
    if i lost the swisstool, it would be replaced with another one, or maybe the smaller spirit.

19. Spencer Lee

Spencer Lee Loaded Pockets

I like my Wave, my PSTII, my Core, my Sideclip, my Kick and my Juice but if I lost my Wave and had to replace it it would be either a Fuse or a Rebar. Neither overloaded with tools but just the right amount and they don't cost the earth so I would not be precious about them.