1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hype vs Real world

Discussion in 'Knives' started by NOT-A-FAN, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

I gotta admit to being seriously tempted by the ZT 0550, especially the black wash one on blade HQ, that is a very cool looking knife.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, it's not fast - but as meditative exercises go, it's quite rewarding. :D

And to be fair, most cutting tasks (for me) happen with the forward curve, not the back curve or belly of the blade.

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a 550 and traded it away. Felt great in the hand, but it wasn't a one-handed open and the blade angle was just enough to bug me.

The 0566, on the other hand is at the top of my list for this year. ;)

4. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I have a ZT0200 and think its a great knife. Price is not to bad as well. I think for a larger general purpose knife its great. i have several other knives and I keep this in my car. The only thing I do not like is the liner lock tang, hard to shut one handed. I have a ZT0777 as well, sweet knife! But it's a safe queen.

I think for the money, they are good knives. I did a group buy for some people on a local gun forum. They all loved them. And I would buy another.

[​IMG]

bud760 likes this.
  5. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

it's about what you're looking for. are you gonna pay all that money to have it as a shelf queen, or just so you can say.."oh, yeah i have one of those." why pay all that money if you're not going to use it? Striders, Brous, Hinderer, Reeve..all pretty pricey knives..but from what i've seen and the people i have talked to..they're worth it and they last. I personally rotate all of my knives and use all of them..i won't ever buy a knife that isn't in some way useful to me.

NOT-A-FAN and Hassan Nurullah like this.
  6. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

To add to my last post..in your opinion, how much is too much for a knife? I've seen alot of customs in the range of 8 to 900$+ Hell, Mick Strider Customs go for well over a grand. And for what? does anyone have a knife (MSC or another custom) that they paid alot for and use? And can say it was worth the money?

Hassan Nurullah likes this.
  7. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

Like any item there is a difference between marketing and reputation as some of the previous posters have already mentioned.Usually in the knife industry I find that if its a frequently talked about knife its due to its reputation as a good knife. I personally have a ZT 0350ST and I absolutely love that knife its a good solid knife with a good rep.

8. bh49

bh49 Loaded Pockets

I never owned any Pro Tech, so cannot comment.
    I own ZT561, few Paras and owned 551 Grip in the past. Without doubts all of them are very good knives and worth asking money.
    Still all of the are different and some would fit better than others depending on preferences.
    I prefer slicers and out of your list would take Para2 over others, but in real life I will take Native5 and VG10/ G10 Caly3.5 over all of them. :)

9. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

I'm half way committed to the belief that tasks within the capability of a blade with a liner lock are also within the capability of steels like AUS 8 and 8cr13mov. More and more, I question the need for super steels on folders, as I have used low end stuff in hard (folder appropriate) tasking on a daily basis without failures. I certainly understand increasingly corrosion resistant material (Salt series, VG10) for some environments, but increasing hardness or toughness in a folder seems like a waste. Instead of a $200 folder, I can use an ESEE 3 at half the price.

tl;dr: if you NEED S30V, maybe you need a fixed blade?

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hugely subjective - I will likely never own a "Sebbie". It would automatically become a shelf queen that I took down and showed off to friends and guests. My personal cap is about $150 ~ $200. And those knives would be few and far between.

That said, I freely admit that high-end knives are not my thing -> if you look at some of the pocket dumps, people who are into their hobby will not hesitate to shell out the cash for their hobby.

11. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

@RBid, I have a different view of the fixed vs. folder, due to the fact that I live in MD where any folder can legally be carried concealed, but a fixed blade cannot be concealed. I prefer the higher end steels for the edge retention, not for the "strength" of the blade as such. I also prefer the corrosion resistance since I spend a lot of time on the Chesapeake Bay fishing.

Hassan Nurullah and Liberteer like this.
  12. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

I don't think it's a waste..sometimes you're going to run into situations where you can't carry a fixed blade like an ESEE 3. Sometimes you need a carry-able folder with that kind of toughness.

13. StAnger665

StAnger665 Loaded Pockets

don't pay more than 90 for a grip or 80 for a mini

Hassan Nurullah and Liberteer like this.
  14. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

I completely agree with this...the bass pro in my town wants 115 for a mini and 125 for a full size...yeahhhh right.

StAnger665 likes this.
  15. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Fair enough, I suppose. The thing is, my Persistence uses 8cr13mov. I process heavy cardboard, plastics, zip ties, etc every day, have touched up the edge once (about a month ago , iirc), and it is paper slicing sharp right now, with no corrosion issues. Lock up and blade fit are air tight. I am having difficulty imagining very many people needing more than this steel brings to the table. Sure, some folks may. I doubt that most people who think they need super steel really need it.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

16. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

At this point in my life i would say 200+ is really reaching it for me for folders. when my wife and i start having kids that number may drop to the low 60's!! :( thank God for Kershaw, Cold Steel, and Delicas!

And thank you everyone for yall's honesty and great opinions. at this point like i said, i am on a big spyderco kick, so the PM2 is probably going to be moved to the "when i have the extra cash" category. and like some of yall mentioned i will be handling anything too much over 100 bucks especially anything in the ZT line. I really like the knives on paper, but i will need to handle one first, primarily looking at the 550 line because of the lack of flipper. i know i know,a ZT without a flipper whats the point? but i carry front pocket wallets and i have a feeling that thing would get in the way fast. As far as Benchmade goes, i really want a Griptillian, and i think for being in that price range its going on the list with the PM2. i did get a chance to handle the griptillian once, i am actually surprised i didnt buy it right then.

i dont have shelf or safe queen knives, guns, or anything that sits for that matter. i work for a living so i expect my daily tools to as well. nothing wrong with queens at all, i just dont have any use for them. Unless of course its an antique family piece.

again thank you guys

Liberteer and Hassan Nurullah like this.
  17. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

unless its a specialty. like olive drab handle and black blade. ;)

Liberteer likes this.
  18. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

and to clear a few things up, i didnt mean hype as in "not worth the money". i suppose i should have used a different word. but i didnt mean to group these knives in a frowned upon category. i just wanted to see everyone's reaction to personal experience vs what online jocks say about them

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*grin* Wait until you handle a ZT. That's almost always the deciding factor for people even remotely considering buying one. :D

z0mbiSl4y3r likes this.