1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hype vs Real world

Discussion in 'Knives' started by NOT-A-FAN, Mar 19, 2014.

1. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

Spyderco PM2
    ZERO TOLERANCE of any model
    Benchmade griptillian and mini
    Pro Tech TR4

My question is, are these knives too steeped in hype, or are they really worth it?
    I'm on a huge Spyderco kick right now,my last two knife purchases were spyderco. but i also like a little variety in my life and am looking at the knives listed. I know the PM2 is Spyderco too, but its still in the "almost too hyped" section of my list. anyway, from the ones who have first hand experience, what is your opinion?

2. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

The grip and mini grip are priced very reasonably. True, they're very popular, but they are definitely worth their price point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. ChrisinHove

ChrisinHove Loaded Pockets

There's a huge difference between marketing hype, and reputation. If these knives are good, they're good.

O.J. and sungame like this.
  4. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

At the top of your list is the knife that surprised me the most. The PM2. For a long time I did not like the esthetics on the military and para. But after months of hearing it's praises on this site I gave it a try. Turns out they are right. It is smooth,it is light, and cuts like a laser. It has become one of my favorite knives. As far as the ZTs go I have a 350, 301, and a 2nd and every one of them are great. (The 350 became great after I took the torsion bar out) They are more than just heavy and over built. I have put my 200 through hell and the coating on the blade looks like all i do is open envelopes with it. They have held a very good edge. I have no complaints. And the benchmade grip has been a very good knife as well. I have the orange handle with black blade and i use it all the time. Some people say they feel cheap but i have really enjoyed mine. I have no experience with the protech but you will not go wrong with any of the knives you have on your list. They are staples of a good knife collection and they all get used regularly. Sorry the long answer.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  5. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have a zt350 and it's one of the lower priced of that line but it's never given me any grief.

A true solid knife.. The assisted open comes with a solid "thwack" that makes me smile.. It's got a beefy feel without too much weight. Even the dlc coating doesn't show a blemish after 2 years of use. I'd buy another.. I'd love a 561 but must wait for some $$$

I've also got the mini grip and it's also a good knife, bit small for my hand but still a nice fit.. Lightweight, good for pocket carry.. But it's taken a beating without crapping out

6. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Benchmade mini grip is fantastic - everyone should own one. Its relatively cheap, it is a great iteration of the axis lock, the blade steel is decent. Its everything a simple, small EDC should be.

The spyderco PM2 is also a great knife. It fits my hand like a glove, lock up employs a simple mechanism that is very strong, and it is a true cutting machine.

Zero Tolerance makes outstanding knives, I have an 801 that is extremely smooth and well made. It slips into my pocket, the feel in the hand is great. To your point on any of ZT's knives, though, I will state I was completely underwhelmed by the 350. It has a weird blade shape, it is fat and fits my pocket like a brick, the AO flipper is effective but infinitely less satisfying than a good flipper (801, hint hint). Its an answer to a question that no one asked.

NOT-A-FAN and z0mbiSl4y3r like this.
  7. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

My BM Griptillian- Tanto blade, excellent cutter. It's light and tough

Bm Ritter Minigrip- one of my favorite knives, lightweight, the most perfect "small" folder I've found so far.

ZT:
    801- Butter smooth and possibly my favorite knife of all time. ELMAX steel for the blade, the rest of it is Ti. I haven't had to sharpen this knife yet and I've used it almost 4 days a week since I got it. For a bigger knife, you can barely tell it's in your pocket.

770- The lightest ZT I've seen so far, but still tough as nails. ELMAX blade, Aluminum scales.

566- This knife was hyped a lot, so i got one. It's second to the 801 as far as my favorites go. It's smaller in size but as tough as the bigger ones. ELMAX blade and Stainless Steel scales.

350- I call this one my beater. I've seriously put this knife through hell and the coating on the blade still looks new. If I've got some "heavy hitting" to do, this is my go to folder. S30V blade and G10 scales. This knife is a bit heavy in the pocket because of the way it's made, the term "brick" people have applied to it is very accurate description, but this thing is a tank and just as awesome as any of the other ones.

Spyderco:
    I sold all of my spydercos except my Pingos. The reason why is because ZT in my own opinion just beat them at every mark. I still carry my Pingo in my rotation, I still love that little knife.

I don't have any experience with the Pro Tech line.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  8. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I won't factor cost as a part of the definition of hype since it is made of complex components, and typically all production knives are aggressively priced to compete. Many times this comes up in a hype situation - knife A priced at $100 does the same job as knife B priced at $20, so A is hyped.

The only hype I understand is when a knife is famous but fails on it's intended/primary purpose - cutting ability (and secondary qualities about steel quality, edge retention, sharpening ease, etc). All the knives you list deliver true on their primary purpose, so they are not hyped.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  9. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

I can only speak for the Grip and Mini Grip. I have a Mini Griptilian and a Ritter Griptilian. They are both solid, comfortable, and tough as far as I can tell. They're relatively inexpensive, which is why I don't own some of the others on the list. They're light for their size, which I think sometimes gets mistaken for "cheap." The full sized Grip is too big for me for EDC but it's nice for around the house, camping, hiking, etc. For me the mini is just right for EDC. It's small, still a lot of knife, but light enough that it doesn't feel heavy in my pocket if I'm wearing loose-pocketed pants like Dockers.

10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Real World: Very few people use a knife hard enough to truly require some of the high-end steel in many of today's knives. As a farm kid and avid hunter, my $25.00 Buck 110, purchased at the local hardware store, handled everything I could dish out. I sharpened it regularly - as any good knife owner should - and beat on it mercilessly.

Hype: You're so hardcore and tacticool that you need this XYZ123 super-carbon extra-stainless latest-thing-on-the-market unobtanium blade and nifty-neato whiz-bang features or your knife will literally dull while it rides around in your pocket and fall apart the first time you actually use it.

11. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

There is a difference between hype and reputation.
    I can't speak for all of the knives, but the PM2 and the BM Griptillian I own, so feel I can comment.
    Steel aside, the design of both those knives is beyond any hype, both are comfortable in the hand, have great blade geometry, and cut really well.
    They both have very secure locks.
    They are given such glowing reviews all over the 'net because they are good. It's that simple.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  12. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

:eek: i knew it!!

Mudinyeri likes this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh - way to kill the buzz, Mud. :D

1. I don't like the Mini-grips because the thumb axis lock always made me nervous. Purely in my head, but enough that I ended up re-gifting the Mini-grips I had.

2. I love my ZTs. I have a 0350 in my pocket now and will probably buy a 0566 this year. Do I, on any average day, need the size, weight, and generally overbuilt qualities of my ZT? Nope. But if I have to resort to hammering, prying, and generally abusing (and misusing) my knife, I'm confident that it'll handle the wear and tear far better than my basic SAK.

3. I don't have the Spyderco PM2 and I haven't handled one in person. I like the Spyderco brand in general: at the moment, I own a Spyderco Calypso, a Lava, an Endura, and a Dragonfly. Good, solid knives that I don't regret owning. I used to EDC the Caly as my primary knife until I felt the need to upgrade to the ZT 0350. I'm not all that enamored of the PM2 on paper and I wouldn't buy it on impulse without substantial handling first.

14. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I have had 3 pm2 and they are most definitely worth the hype. They are the best quality knife I've had and are pretty cheap for what you get.

Zt however I have had a couple and both were awesome but the fit and finish was far below the price point. On top of that they both performed poorly as a knife so I would need to see some major improvements to buy another one

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I think the PM2 and Grip are amazing knives. Others like the Delica, Endura, Stretch, Manix2 and some like the Osborne line from Benchmade truly live up to the hype through testing and countless peer reviews.

Not a big fan of ZT knives personally. I think you pay a bunch of money for a cool looking tool that on average weighs a ton.

rsitter likes this.
  16. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

you just accused zt of being all hype while using a hyperbole in your sentence!! how ironic :)

NOT-A-FAN, billybatson and Blerv like this.
  17. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Ha! It seems I did. What is real and what isnt!? #matrix :confused:

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  18. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

1. I love my Mini-Grip, it is exactly what an EDC knife ought to be! Don't own any ZT blades, they are all too big--I would buy one for giggles if they made a Hinderer 3 inches or under to try out the ZT much ballyhooed fit and finish. I don't care for the Onion ZT models at all--I have several Spydercos and the Techno is my current EDC--The fit and finish of the Techno is truly amazing, as the Taichung Spyderco plant is becoming increasingly famous for. I don't own a PM2, in addition to the Techno, I have a Junior, Dragonfly II, Native and I got my son a Tenacious, all brilliant, well made tools. The DiAlex designed Junior out of Spyderco's Seki City plant is by far the most ergonomically brilliant knife I have ever owed.

[​IMG]

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to admit - the recurve of the 0350 is my least favorite feature of the knife.

NOT-A-FAN and Hassan Nurullah like this.
  20. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

I don't imagine it would be fun to sharpen.