1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydroflask thoughts and review, not impressed...

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Tyrolee, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I've got dozens of Nalgene, a couple Klean Kanteens, and 2 Hydroflasks. The hospital I work in doesn't have water fountains, and says staff can't drink the bottled water they provide for the pts. :)censored:, I know, and followed by few, but I'm a hard :censored:) Anyways, I've carried all of these, even a few Platypus', and a soft sided Nalgene. (Don't ever waste your money on the soft sided Nalgene! I bought 2, and both didn't last a week each before they started to leak at the welds. Anyway, I carried a 40oz KK for about 3 years, and retired it for the 40oz HF. In winter, I can put 10 ice cubes in it prior to filling, and I'll have ice left over after 12 hours. I rarely drink more than 1 filling in that time during the winter. In summer, I up to 15 cubes, and even after a refill, I'll still have ice after 16 hours at work. I like cold water, the colder the better! I have one of those cold immunities, so even in winter, when I sweat lees, I'm still hot, I just drink less. I'll drink room temp water, but I much prefer it icy. This is where the HF excels. When I carried the 40oz KK, I had the LL bean neoprene cover, which did help in the ice department, but LL no longer sells the neoprene cover, and when mine wore out, I had to do something different. This is where the HF came into play.

2. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I love my Hydroflasks and Kleen Kanteens. I have a dozen or so Kleen Kanteens and 3 Hydroflasks. Hydroflasks will be my go to insulated bottles.

3. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I a hydro flask guy. Every member of my family has at least one. I recently had one lose its insulating qualities due to a drop and a badly placed dent. I contacted customer services within a day they had sent an rma and I shipped it back to them. A new one is on its way back to me now. If there is any issue with the cap, you can contact them and they will send a new one.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  4. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

Screenshot on return shipping instructions. I hereby state that I am not a shill. Just a happy customer.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I guess I've got to try one of these hydroflask thing-a-majigs...despite orders from the wife unit of "NO MORE water bottles, okay?" (Note: she never complains when we're out somewhere and she's thirsty...LOL (just when they're taking up room in a cupboard)).

I drink a lot of liquids. Colorado has this way of taking it right out of you (altitude, lack of humidity and sun). You kind of figure out a strategy for staying hydrated after a while, and it's usually a multi-pronged approach. For a day outside (even in non-summer months) a person probably needs to bring more liquid with them than they can effectively carry. Consequently, there's in-car containers, in-pack containers and on-person containers. Many times there's even larger in-car reservoirs to re-fill any of the above in a pinch (or give the dogs water, or, or...or).

Over the years I've kind of gotten over hot drinks needing to be hot, and cold drinks needing to be cold. It's the hydration element which is important. However, it sure is nice sometimes on a hot day to have a cool drink...so there's that. As with all my gear though, use marks are really just "character" in my book. If it doesn't have some kind of a battle scar of some sort on it...there's probably something wrong with it (because it's not getting used).

Nalgene's are pretty good, they're definitely pretty tough (and cheap if I bust one). I do like the humangear cap-cap addition to a Nalgene though. Elsewise, Camelbak and Thermos have stood up pretty well. The Thermos water bottle is insulated; the only problem I have with insulated is the amount of liquid you sacrifice for the insulation. The Thermos does get a ticket to ride though because it does stand up to the heat pretty well (probably not as well as these HF's do).

Anyway, it's all good.

edit...I just looked at a whole bunch of reviews on the HF product and there was one common theme / comment which troubles me a little...rust. There were dozens and dozens of comments on Amazon and elsewhere about rust spots appearing inside the HF (within the first 6 months). If this thing is stainless...how does it rust???

Last edited by DCBman, Apr 18, 2017
    #25 DCBman, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I have a 40oz HF and absolutely love it. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to go 8 hours without refilling your bottle and when you take a sip it's still icy cold. Mines been dropped a few times, it has a few small dings and the bottom coating has mostly came off, but it still works great. I would never take a plastic Nalgene or camelback into the field with me over this.

7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

How is it for weight, compared to a Nalgene?

8. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Probably about twice as heavy empty and 30-40% heavier full with water.

9. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Banned

I love my insulted bottle. It' not a hydroflask tho but it works perfectly well

10. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

For me the insulated Avex brazos wins out of all my bottles purely because the drinking cap is so good no unscrewing etc just squeeze the button and drink

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I only use stainless steel or glass bottles, I don't like the taste of water out of plastic bottles. I also really prefer insulated because they don't sweat and how long they keep my water cold. Hydroflasks are my primary, because they are well insulated, have lots of size options and the coating is good for gripping with sweaty hands.

I made the mistake of leaving my hydroflask in my parents vehicle when they were leaving on a long trip. My Mom decided to us it starting on the second day because it was there. Needless to say they fell in love with how it, especially my Dad who will only drink ice cold water. Now they own several too.