1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydroflask thoughts and review, not impressed...

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Tyrolee, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Those of you whom carry a water bottle every day, you may find this interesting; my thoughts on the Hydro Flask, with some surprising results to say the least.

2. SlowFocus

SlowFocus Loaded Pockets

You seem hung up on the cost of the Hydroflask and the fact that it got dented when it dropped. And you said that the coating is durable after a few weeks of use. Are either of these things surprising?

Tesla and Tyrolee like this.
  3. SlowFocus

SlowFocus Loaded Pockets

I also meant to say, your video was informative even though maybe not the way you intended. Thank you for posting your review!

Tyrolee and gearheavy like this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

As you would imagine, I really appreciate your contrarian POV. I love to hear negative stuff about products (even if I don't necessarily agree) than watch or read some sugarcoated propaganda piece.

I will say, however, that the vacuum insulation on bottles like your HydroFlask or my Kleen Kanteens makes a big difference in terms of temperature control. If you leave a Nalgeen, an insulated SS, and a single wall SS in a hot car on a summer day for a few hours only one will be cold when you get back to it.

While Nalgeens don't dent, they do get scratched up, the logo and gradations will wear off, and the loop will break if they are in constant service, though I'll grant you that they will look arguably better after a year than a SS bottle, which, as you know will dent.

But so what? I mean, what's cooler, a shiny new peace of gear or a tested piece of gear that has taken some had knocks but is still performing. I say, learn to appreciate the dents the same way you appreciate a well worn pocket clip.

Plus, a Nalgeen bottle will crack if it lands wrong and that is, potentially, far worse than a dent.

For the record, there are Camelbak, Nalgeen, and widemouth insulated and uninsulated KKs in use at our house and I'd take an uninsulated KK over all of them... dents and all.

[​IMG]

5. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I too have Nalgeens, Klean Kanteen, Hydroflask, and even a Contigo around the house. I've had no issues with Hydro flask other than getting liquid above the seal of one of the caps, probably from using it for coffee and shaking Splenda/creamer to mix it up in the bottle. Hydro flask did send me a new cap when I e-mailed them to find out if the seal could be removed, cleaned and replaced.

The main issue I have with KK and Nalgeen is the sweating that occurs. When I'm working in the yard, camping, or something like that I love my Nalgeens. But for EDC, the sweat and the leaking (KK sports top) is just annoying. The side of my bag gets wet. if I lay the bag down the floor/carpet gets wet. Then as Cone said, I get warm drinks if I don't drink whatever i put in fairly quickly.

I do want to get a "quick" drink cap of some sort for my hydro flask, the unscrewing and screwing does get old for an EDC bottle.

Also, I got one of the growler sized Hydroflasks. Fantastic for draft beer. Simply can't be beat. That and some Silipints or similar cups and you're always prepared (at least when you have a kegorater in the garage....)

Tyrolee, No Agenda and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

I have two hydroflask and they have been great. My 40oz got the daylights beat out of it when I worked construction and it's held up just fine.

Tyrolee and No Agenda like this.
  7. ninja.medic

ninja.medic Loaded Pockets

No one has mentioned that it keeps coffee insanely hot for a long time... Which it does. Also after a year as my primary coffee dispensary I can still comfortably carry it into meetings at the Capitol building to continue drinking my coffee. I do not worry about how it looks because it looks great. Just my 2cents

8. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

My hydroflask held ice for over 24hrs in a hot car. That's a win in my book.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

9. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have an insulated 24oz KK and a 40oz Hydroflask and sometimes they are TOO good at keeping my coffee hot. I have to open them up and let it cool for a long while even after they have been sitting for a while.

The only dent that was mildly annoying was on on the bottom of my KK that makes the bottle wobble when it is sitting on a table... it won't tip over, but it moves a little bit.

I still love my Nalgenes, but for hot liquids the vacuum double-walled stainless bottles can't be beat.

No Agenda likes this.
  10. dmwhiteman

dmwhiteman Loaded Pockets

I can second this. I also have had ice after 24hours of sitting on the car seat. No other bottle I have owned keeps colds cold and hots hot longer. The only negative I have about it is that when I make coffee, I want to drink it. Not let it sit for days until its cool enough to enjoy.

I agree with what others are saying about dents. These show that you actually use your gear. Unless you have a coworker who fills it up for you and lets it go skidding across the sidewalk. That is a dent I am not so proud of.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and No Agenda like this.
  11. henrythewound

henrythewound Loaded Pockets

I hike around a lot in the AZ sun for work and my brother bought me a 1L hydroflask for my birthday one year. It works really well. I can hear ice clanking around in the bottle inside my hot backpack for hours on end. Same thing if you leave it behind in the hot car. It seems pretty durable for me so far but if I drop it it's usually in the dirt not on concrete

No Agenda likes this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I got one of these not too long ago, a 24 Oz in some kind of blue.

It's dented like in th cone's picture in a few places. One of them happened so early, I thought I might have missed it unpacking the thing.

Whatever.

Water stays cool in the car for a day or so.

I'm a fan. If it breaks or wears out, I'll buy a new one.

No Agenda, T.H.Cone and Stinson12 like this.
  13. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

I forgot to mention. On one of my Hydroflask the outer finish started coming off after about 7 months of use. I ended up emailing them just to see what they would say and they gave me a new one free of charge.

No Agenda likes this.
  14. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I've got several of all 3...

The nalgenes were the first.. Simple, cheap, fits the cap cap.... I keep them around for general :censored: or where I might lose them and not cry (daughter @ school) or in the yard.

I next picked up a 48oz kk, liked the stainless.. More volume but sweats profusely.. Next were a pair 12 and 18? Insulated kk.. Better, no sweating but less volume and the 18 was the biggest they had with the wide mouth.

Finally, picked up a orange 40oz Hydro.. Awesome, the volume I wanted and insulation I needed. It's taken a few hits but is still going strong.

No Agenda, T.H.Cone and Stinson12 like this.
  15. Stinson12

Stinson12 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Like I said still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

I put a Hydroflask sport top on my Kleen Kanteen and it's holding up pretty well, for what it's worth.

17. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Anyone try freezing a Hydroflask? KK flat out says it damages the bottle. The HF web says you can't do it but because it won't freeze the water, nothing about damaging the bottle. Nalgene's have no problem freezing the water and not getting damaged which is one of the major reasons I've stuck with them. (Also I really like the canteen shaped bottles -- awesome against the side of a pack.)

T.H.Cone you are right that a Nalgene can crack during a bad landing. Takes a lot -- I've seen them bounce and I've seen them crack from climbing drops, and memory would guess that the minimum threshold for cracking was somewhere around 45' onto broken rock. Yeah it's inconvenient, but those few I've seen damaged were all replaced for free, no-questions-asked. (I'm going to assume that KK and HF both have similar excellent customer service.) Also, any climber whose ever 'binered a Nalgene loop to a harness gear loop should learn before long to give the Nalgene loop a good few turns of duct tape. ;)

T.H.Cone and No Agenda like this.
  18. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I picked up one of the newer camelbak insulated chute bottles. I've not tested how long it will keep things cold, I've been drinking the water so quick I don't even put ice in it. But it is pretty neat. The cap is well designed, the threading in the inside of the spout is a nice touch, I do not believe it is a true quarter turn, the cap is a bit hard to stow especially one handed. But all in all its been my go to water bottle for a few weeks now.

19. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

Nothing but hydroflask here. I've carried the same one daily for I think three years now. It's beat to crap... Can't tell you how many times I launched it from the side pocket of my bag before I made a retainer. It's never failed. It's kept ice for all day in some very hot places.
    At this point there are 4 in our house. We all have a 21 oz and we ( me) takes a 40 along for the dogs when we go to the park.
    Trust me they (and all gear)have to pass a very ridged test period before I'll issue them to my girls!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stinson12 likes this.
  20. rolyat113

rolyat113 Loaded Pockets

I carry a nalgene and a hydroflask every day for work (letter carrier). I drink the nalgene pretty fast so I'm not worried about it staying cool as much. In the Colorado sun this summer I may change my mind though... The hydroflask stays in my bag until the nalgene goes empty. I've used the hydroflask for about a year and it's only been dropped a few times but no dents as large as in the video. I put a kk cap on it for faster use, but it does keep it from staying as cool for as long. If I need to keep something the same temp for a long time I'll switch back to the original cap. Mine has stickers on it, and shows it wear, which I personally think is cooler than looking new.

GearHunter likes this.