1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydroflask Fail

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I'd been using an old Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated bottle for my daily coffee for years and years and years. Since 2009 I guess. It'd been through hell and back. Probably 15,000 miles of bike commuting, rattling in my bottle cage. More drops can I care to admit. It'd also been on camping trips and Sunday shopping excursions, and everything else under the sun. It had been my constant caffeinated companion for 8 years straight, until a month ago. The o-ring in the cap needed to be changed again, as it did about every 9 months or so. The o-rings wear out.

But Klean Kanteen's website was fresh out of spare o-rings. So I decided to rethink my choice of coffee thermos, and maybe try something new, that wasn't so beat up and dented. I'd had lots of good luck over the years with Hydroflasks for water bottles, and bought a new Hydroflask locally. It seemed perfect for about 2 whole weeks. Then this odd burnt looking spot began forming in the bottom of the bottle.

[​IMG]

The spot was ugly, but I just figured that it was a coffee stain. It happens. Then about a week after the spot formed, I noticed that my coffee wasn't so hot after my bike ride to work. The temperature of my daily coffee quickly turned to absurd. I thought it was my coffee maker at first, but a test with a thermometer quickly disproved that theory, yielding a steady temperature of 200 degrees.

Yep. You guessed it. The Hydroflask went bad. My guess is that spot is contamination leaking through into the inner wall of the Hydroflask, meaning my coffee was flowing in between the inner and outer walls.

So much for Hydroflask. I'm going back to my flat out amazing and dependable insulated Klean Kanteen. Even after all these years, my coffee is still piping after lunch time.

[​IMG]

If you look at the above pick with a close eye, you'll notice that this experiment was not all for naught. I found that the much nicer Hydroflask coffee cap works perfect with my Klean Kanteen. I even filled the bottle with coffee and left it on a paper towel overnight, to make sure there were no leaks. After 12 hours upside down, here's the clean paper towel to prove the test. Not even a hint of a leak.

[​IMG]

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I had never heard of this happening before with any brand of bottle.

I did make mention, in your most awesome Guide to Water Bottles thread, that I also had good luck using both the HF flip lid and straw lid on KK bottles.

Thanks again for that GTWB thread, Buzzbait. :wavespin:

Buzzbait likes this.
  3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Are you going to contact HF to see what they have to say?

4. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I think I'm just going to write it off as a loss. I still have my legendary Klean Kanteen, and I was able to make use of the cap. But I think my bottle purchases will be Klean Kanteen from now on, especially now that they've expanded their insulated bottle line a bit. Cheaper too.

And KK's Fresh Pine color is right up my ally.

[​IMG]

ran23 and Blackheart like this.
  5. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

I'd imagine there's a low failure rate with any kind of stainless bottle, insulated or not. This could just as easily have happened with a Kleen Kanteen, but it just happened that it occurred on the Hydroflask. It should be a warranty replacement. I also would thank you for your long thread on water bottles, and on that basis I've bought several Hydroflasks as well as other bottles over the years. Never had a problem. I think the water bottle gods just took ire at something you said somewhere and decided that your next bottle was going to be a defective one. You were cursed.

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I totally agree. One could conceive of it as random occurrence, bound to happen after buying so many Hydroflasks. But the truth is that the gods have taken umbrage with me, for attempting to forsake my Klean Kanteen, that has so loyally stayed by my side for so many years.

7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Wow. I just did a bit of researching, looking at pictures in Amazon reviews. It's kind of distressing. What happened to me is not a rare thing. There are lots of pictures of these rust spots at the seam on the bottom of the bottle. I think it stems from a combination of the manufacturing process, which produces a few weak points along the seam, the fact that the seam is at the very bottom of the inside of the bottle, and that the bottom is flat.

Klean Kanteens have a rounded bottom, with what looks to be a far cleaner seam further up from the bottom. So droplets of liquid can't just sit on the seam, eroding the weak spots. And even if they do manage to get at the seam, the seam is really, really tight and smooth. You just can't find any record of this ever happening with an insulated Klean Kanteen. The Klean Kanteen design and execution is just far superior in terms of functional durability.

Blackheart likes this.
  8. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

This thread sounds like an advertisement for Klean Canteen.

ran23 likes this.
  9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

You have to give credit where it's due. There's a design and manufacturing issue with the Hydroflask, that sometimes rears its ugly head. In this aspect, Klean Kanteen is simply doing it better.

And this is coming from somebody who has purchased maybe 10 or 12 Hydroflasks over the years. It's not as if I'm a blind Klean Kanteen fanboy. I own more Hydroflasks than I do Klean Kanteens.

10. Lane DeCamp

I looked at a couple of each, in different sizes, and don't see an actual design flaw in the Hydroflasks. However, manufacturing them can run into a glitch and if they went to a Chinese vendor who wasn't doing it quite right, you could easily end up with this problem. Again, a short-run problem that would have persisted until the defective units made it through retail and were being used in consumers' hands. Do remember also that statistically it's almost exclusively the complainers who tend to post on Amazon, and because many commentators are paid, they tend to pick up one story and duplicate the issue into a string of occurrences. This happens with a wide variety of items -- just look at Shimano Dura Ace cassettes, where a tiny number of people report multiple cassette breakages while virtually everyone else never sees a problem. Statistically it doesn't hold its own water, pardon the pun. It's great that you posted about this; now we should see whether we have that much documentation of repeat occurrences and how long they go on. Thanks again!

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I'll go as far as to say that placing the seam along the flat bottom of the Hydroask is a design flaw. It's not a good idea to place the seam right where water droplets are most likely to sit and cause rust. It definitely exacerbates the possibility of failure, if the welds are not perfect and clean. It's not a huge design flaw, and only occasionally rears its ugly head, but it's there. Hydroflask should consider a design change going forward.

And while I do understand your thoughts on Amazon reviews, the fact is that the repeat occurrences are there. And the issue never occurs on a Klean Kanteen. And the Klean Kanteen is cheaper. I'm having a hard time thinking of a single reason to purchase a Hydroflask over a Klean Kanteen at the moment.

For the record, after I posted here, I sent a personal email to Klean Kanteen, praising their product where their direct competitor failed. Klean Kanteen kindly offered to warranty the Hydroflask, and send me a new Klean Kanteen as a replacement. They're a great company every way you look at it.

#11 Buzzbait, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Blackheart likes this.
  12. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Banned

i'm surprised by this, thanks for sharing. I bought one for my gf last year, I should tell her to keep an eye on it.

13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a feeling that if the flask is truly defective, the issue shows up rather quickly. If she's been using it for months without issue, she's probably fine.l

Gearwolf likes this.
  14. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Between my wife and I, we own 8 hydro flasks of varying sizes. So far so good with no failures in any of them! Mine get beat to all get out and still go strong.

15. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I've got 5 ranging from 2006 till last month being tossed, banged, and beat not one has had an issue.. I don't trust Amazon reviews one bit.. Look at their movie reviews and you'll see why...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. Lane DeCamp

And if I wasn't clear, my own comments were based on a pretty long experience with Hydroflasks and never having a problem with them.

And there's a difference between a design defect and a manufacturing defect. I looked in a couple of them and can see where this problem that Buzz describes could arise, but I don't think it's a design issue. I just think the Chinese plant where they got made was having a bad hair day.