1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydro modding a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Strawn151, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

From what I have read on it, it is generally not the best idea to do this on an analog watch - I have heard a few stories of failures where the watch has died - in particular because the motors powering the hands have burnt out due to the extra force needed to move a hand through oil rather than the frictionless air they were designed for - Watched like the Sinn model that is oil filled typically have beefier internals to suit.

Also worth sticking to solar powered watches for this mod, as you can seal them back up and be done - changing the battery in an oil filled watch could get messy and annoying.

It is a pretty interesting modification to do - I don't think there are many people for whom any increased water resistance will be of much use, but the change in legibility seems nice, and mostly it is just fun to modify a standard watch into something a bit more unique...

Nick4305 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

If this will make the stupid reverse display on a couple of my g's legible, it might be worth a shot.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

If you search for "Superlative oil filled F-91W, you can find a guy who did an olive oil hydro.

Josh, I can't imagine why hydroing your negative display watches would make them more legible. Personally I think Casio are just hit and miss on negative displays. If it's something with big numbers like a Pro-Trek/Pathfinder, they're pretty good. A smaller G-Shock has a pretty limited viewing angle though. Either way they aren't nearly as good as Suunto, again probably because of digit size.

4. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i would surely wet my pants filling my casio with olive oil. :help::rofl:
    and its tempting (the modding, not the wetting)
    any ideas on using wd-40 instead of olive oil?

5. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I suspect WD-40 would eventually destroy the gaskets and render the watch's water resistance zero. You aren't supposed to use it around rubber.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  6. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Found this thread after learning about oil filled watches elsewhere and I'm planning on picking up a cheapo quartz to try it out on! Will update with pics later

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I couldn't quote you the exact reasoning, but from the reports I have read of people who have made the modification, it does actually increase the clarity and legibility of the display - the refractive index of the fluid magnifying it slightly perhaps?

8. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Finished up this mod tonight. Now it's got me wanting to try on an actual nice watch! This was a Cheapo Casio ($20) and extra virgin olive oil. Gives it a green hue but no big deal. It was a fun experiment!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howler4, camit34 and artaxerxes like this.
  9. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

This is a very interesting concept especially for digital display watches...sort of like the oil filled marine compass?
    As my eyes age this could really help?

10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

It does appear to enhance the visibility of the few digitals y'all showed.
    However I don't think I'll be going there.