1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydration packs

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by julioroman, Jul 22, 2011.

1. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, hoping you can help me with this. I'm looking for a small hydration pack. Maybe 4-6L worth of cargo space (mostly for a FAK, raincoat, and food). I've looked at camelbacks and they seem to go from incredibly small to incredibly large with nothing really inbetween. I'm hoping I can pull some ideas from the forum!

Julio

2. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

3. julioroman

4. mikey

mikey Banned

I have this one that I bought but dont use. I bought it new and never used it but it looks like a nice smaller pack.

[​IMG]
    By

5. Flexxx

6. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

Try Geigerrig. Their packs are not as nice as some, but their bladder and system is much better. I bought their 3L hydration engine, and despite it taking up much more room in my pack because of the inflatable air bladder section, it's worth it for the convenience and hygiene of the squirting water. Plus the bladder itself is much easier to clean, since it can be turned inside out and even washed in the dishwasher.

7. kaseri

kaseri Empty Pockets

Camelback branded packs work perfectly for for your needs.

8. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

9. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Loaded Pockets

Julioroman,

I just went through the same dilemma myself. I didn’t want anything tactical either.
    I was looking at the Camelbak Consigliere and was willing to live with the blue then I got my hands on one and I did not like it at all.

What I did go for, and I have been very happy with so far is the Camelbak H.A.W.G. NV. It comes in black or chili pepper red. I did something different and got the red.
    When the water reservoir is full it pushes into the main compartment which takes away from the room but that is okay with me because there is still enough room for what I want to carry in it.
    I use it mostly when I ride my bike but I have carried it out and about while in town and really like the small compact size.

In the pack all the time
    - Small FAK
    - Small fire kit
    - E-blanket
    - Multitool
    - Izula 2
    - Aqua Pouch Plus
    - Reading glasses

Stuff I put in each time I take the pack
    Wallet/check book
    Cell phone
    Snacks

Good luck

Mike

10. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

I love my HAWG NV. It is probably my favorite camelbak bag I own. It is big enough but not too big. It can be compressed easily so it isn't sloppy. I also like the pull out rain cover! Awesome bag. I also have the RimRunner (also a great bag), the civilian MULE (perfect for mt biking), the cloudwalker (eh...), military MULE, Alpine Explorer, and Rogue (good for road biking but really small).

11. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

There is also a non-tactical M.U.L.E (which I have an older version of) that is exactly what you are looking for. I don't know what colors you prefer but they have some variety. Check it out on the links provided above.

12. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

13. julioroman

I think I've decided on an Osprey Raptor 10. Its about 10L for cargo 3L hydration pouch. I've found a mostly local outdoor store to get it at a decent price no less!

14. Flexxx

Just because it says military on the website don't mean everyone is going to assume its a tactical pack, I have not had one person think I'm military with all the packs I have owned made out of condura or being OD Green, Coyote, Black or Foliage green.....

Just a thought

If Kifaru made a tactical pack with molle and it was pink would it be considered to tactical?

15. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The tacticool trend is still making its rounds. Oh heck, even Nike has MOLLE on their SB line of skateboarding packs.

16. julioroman

I get where you're coming from. But in the area I live is very "posh" and "liberal" (I don't mean to insult anyone, just the way I see it). It probably doesn't help that I'm a fairly broadchested latin person. A few years ago I got the WEIRDEST looks for wearing an M60 field jacket (urban camo w/ interior liner). Literally no one would stand next to me. On the subways during rush hour the seat next to mine would remain empty when all other seats were taken. People were choosing to stand up rather than sit next to me. As soon as I switched up to a fleece, or a standard nylon w/ filling type jacket there were no problems. Its also the big reason why I stopped carrying my Maxped Kodiak. I love that bag, but the security guards where I work would put my bag under extra scrutiny. Ex: with my Maxped bag I had to open it and show them the contents atleast 4 times in the year I had it. With my Patagonia HalfMass messenger and Fuego laptopbag not a one.

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

It pays to blend in.

18. julioroman

Anyways, I wanted to report that I got the Osprey Viper 10 hydration pack and its perfect. My only problem is my abundant girth which prevents me from buying smaller rain jackets. So my old Nike ACG it was, and it fit with some clever folding and compressing. Added to the mix was an AMK .5 Waterproof/watertight FAK, my wallet, keys, inhaler, Point and shoot camera, knife 2-3 L of water (no real markings on the water pouch itself, so I can't tell how much I loaded in there) and two protien bars. The pack itself was perfect! Very good fit, the many adjustments it felt perfect, like a slight extention of my body. The only problem I had with the hike was I may have over estimated the shape I was in (which I now know to be terrible) and the sneakers I wore were terrible. (upgrading those next)

19. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

I don't have that problem with security at my job. Of course, I work in the Pentagon, so lots of tacticool bags there!!

20. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

+1 -- I love my Rim Runner. I use it for hiking, it was my work bag for my summer internship, and I also use it for disc golf!