1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hydration backpack recommendations

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ParacordMan1220, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

I am, looking for a hydration backpack. I don't want one that is HUGE, just one to carry as a daypack with a few snacks, and a little bit of supplies.
    I've looked at CamelBaks and BLACKHAWKS, but I can't decide on one. I like the looks of the Linchpin and the H.A.W.G. (not the redesigned one). The only downsides to the Linchpin is that it doesn't have MOLLE loops and it doesn't come in black.
    I've also checked out the BLACKHAWK Titan and S.T.R.I.K.E. Cyclone, and both seem to be well made.
    I already have a good bladder (OMEGA 102oz) so I just need A good bag to put it in.

If you guys know of any other brands/bags that I haven't mentioned, feel free to put them in here. Post some pics if you have them:)

wildborego likes this.
  2. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

If you're patient, you can get an excellent price on a previous model HAWG on eBay. Camelbak's quality is really outstanding for the price point (check out the stitching thread where we compared multiple manufacturers).

bigfoot likes this.
  3. mhassler23

mhassler23 Loaded Pockets

can't go wrong w/ Camelbak & they have a wide selection to get the size & features you want.

4. ParacordMan1220

Do any of you guys have any experience with the BLACKHAWK hydration bags or SPEC-OPS bags?

Last edited by ParacordMan1220, Mar 28, 2013
  5. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

6. ParacordMan1220

So, Definitely go with CamelBak?
    Are BLACKHAWK and SPEC-OPS not made as good as a CamelBaks?

7. blueliner

blueliner Empty Pockets

I just got one of the new revised mil-tac HAWGs from Camelbak, have not been disappointed thus far though I did make some slight improvements (replaced the waist belt, added shock cord, grimlocs and made new zipper pulls). The older model HAWGs seem just as good and like many things, newer is not always better... it's personal preference on this one. Also, good luck finding complaints about their warranty or customer service, they seem to stand behind their products. That alone is what made me get a HAWG rather than a Maxpedition Falcon II.

8. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

i'm looking too

9. hutten

hutten Loaded Pockets

Quick! Take a look here!
    London Bridge Trading makes great stuff, and they are selling all of their "Mas Grey" stuff for clearance. "Mas Grey" is supposed to be a very neutral colour, allowing it to blend in to almost any environment.
    I would order one, but I really really don't need another bag right now.

https://lbtinc.com/mas-grey.html

10. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Check out Osprey. They have several hydration packs. I have the Raptor 14 for biking and the Manta 25 for day hikes. Their bladders are quite different than Camelbaks. The Osprey bladders, made by Nalgene, do not "barrel" when full and lie flat in the pack. The bladder is designed to work in the packs sleeve so when the compression straps are pulled tight, the pack compresses the bladder and you get a hydraulic effect so less effort is needed to draw the water. They also have, IMO, a better bite valve and a handy dandy magnetic holder that attaches the bite valve on a shoulder strap for easy access. I had Camelbaks then discovered Osprey hydration packs and never looked back.

Raptor 14, they have smaller ones as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Manta 20. The Mantas come with a built in rain cover too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good for sweaty backs.
    [​IMG]

Osprey clearance at REI. Plus they have 20% off one item for members through April 7th.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?query=osprey

Last edited by locknload223, Mar 28, 2013
  11. hutten

hutten Loaded Pockets

On top of my other post - another option. Source Hydration makes some very nice stuff - I personally use one of their 3L reservoirs instead of a Camelbak. They have both tactical and civilian lines. I believe they started in Israel making equipment for the IDF, and then expanded their line. They are a fairly socially responsible company as well.
    http://source-military.com/
    http://sourceoutdoor.com/

12. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Spec-Ops brand US-made products are fantastic! I would say they are better than Camelbak in terms of overall quality.

But, having said that. I just think that Camelbak products just give you more options, more features, and are more geared toward EDC use...

13. ParacordMan1220

After a little more research into the H.A.W.G.s (new and old versions) I found that the new HAWG had more pockets then I thought.
    So, do any of you guys have the exact volume of the Linchpin, the old H.A.W.G., and the new H.A.W.G.?
    Also, do any of guys have a picture with the 3 packs side by side? If so, post the picture(s) or a link to them.

14. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use a camelbak outlaw for those times I want a useable but small hydration pack. Picked it up for mountain biking but it's just as good for hiking, running, paddling

15. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

I love Camelback- check out their military line.

You might like the urban assault they have an XL version that I use when I want bring my DSLR out - but use the bladder in my normal 5.11 MOAB 10 bag

The military version bladders blow away the blue cyclist/hiker version - the valves neoprene wrapped tubes and the bladders themselves are all around better in military side IMHO

16. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

IMHO I'd go with a Gregory(which is black diamond USA made) pack before an Osprey with the military camelback bladders.

Again just me and IMHO but the mesh on my Osprey broke after 18 miles of easy terrain and I baby all of my gear
    Other non mesh back versions may be ok but IMHO Gregory dominates the backpacker pack world

I have I think it's a savage from Gregory - built in rain cover and more importantly the bladder sleeve is separate from any other pocket and has a drain - just in case the bladder breaks or you get condensation no need to worry at all
    Comes in 3 sizes - it's by far my favorite hiking pack - my version is too big for EDC.

17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

The volumes are on Camelbak's website for the various packs. First you need to decide the size of pack you want. The Linchpin is nearly 600 cubic inches larger than the HAWG.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Geigerrig is another brand to check out. I don't have any personal experience with them but I've heard good things about their pressurized bladders and the packs aren't bad either. Here is their site:

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs.html

19. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

Despite the bag you choose - it really comes down to personal choices and needs and everything mentioned here is quality

My only other thing I would recommend is to have separate bladders - I hike a lot probably close if not over 500 miles a year - I use one bladder for water and water only always and have labeled it as such...but after a long 10+ mile day and I've setup camp I'm kind of burnt on warm water - so I keep another bladder that I throw powdered Gatorade in and then some treated/purified water for a lil flavor and salts at the end of the day

I keep them separate because despite every method I've found to clean there is always a slight linger taste of Gatorade

Feel free to PM me - I've got a good 5-6 hiking packs and about 3 camelback

I've been into packs for years and often have to help parents find packs for my scouts - so I'm very familiar with most brands

20. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Have you ever tried Source reservoirs? They are the only bladders that I've used where it doesn't pick up the taste of the liquid in it and also doesn't impart a plastic taste to the water. The inside has a co-extruded PE film that isn't porous. Also, the wide-pac closure allows easy access to the inside of the bladder for cleaning. Here is a link:

http://source-military.com/hiking-gear/6-hydration-technology