1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Huntlight FTA2 (1xAA), quick review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by greenLED, Aug 25, 2006.

1. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

This is a quick review of the 1xAA Huntlight FT03, which I received from JSBurly's Flashlights.

My FTA2 is black Type II anodizing. The finish is smooth and even throughout - it looks to me like the light was lightly beadblasted before anodizing giving it a very nice look.

As you can see from the following pic, the FTA2 is slightly longer than the Fenix L1P. Part of this is due to the crenalated "business end" of the FTA2. This is something I'd thought about doing to my Fenix, just so I could tell if I leave it on. The FTA2's body is slimmer than the Fenix L1P, and has a nice curvy line to it. The head and tailcap are of similar diameter in both lights.

[​IMG]

I tried to play LEGO between the 2 lights, but was only able to screw the L1P head onto the FTA2 body (it works!). I couldn't screw the L1P tailcap onto the FTA2, and none of the FTA2's parts worked on the Fenix.

Here's the FTA2 in my hand, with other ligts for comparison. The slimmer body of the FTA2 helps grip it in "cigar mode". The switch is a reverse clicky, and it feels pretty much the same as the one on the L1P.

[​IMG]

Output-wise, I can't tell the difference between the FTA2 and the L1P. Output is decently bright, smooth, and I can't tell any tint aberrations (I don't like X1). Overall I think it's a sleek-looking light. I know of people who carry 1xAA lights in their keychain, but that's too big for my taste. I carried my FTA2 in my pocket today, and it felt no different than my other pocket EDC lights (that is, I did not feel it in my pocket at all).

2. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Nice review, what are the runtimes of the Huntlight compared to the Fenix's?

3. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Lee, I sent my lights to chevrofreak over on CPF so he can do some runtime graphs and comparisons. I'll ask him to post those here as well. In the mean time, here are some pics of the Lux module (which looks very cleanly made, BTW) I took over the weekend. From left to right (click to see larger versions):

components inside the head (bezel, o-ring, window, reflector, LED module), LED module and reflector, bottom of LED module)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Great, thanks :). I have found an interest in the Huntlight because of its flexible options, that I had never really seen in the Fenix's. I will be paying close attention to them :).