1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hunting?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by DFT17, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Hey all,
    wondering if anybody has recommendations for a bag that could also be used for hunting? I would think something small to medium sized to get through the woods as easily as possible but still large enough to carry the "just in case" items that should be carried in these situations?

Thanks

2. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Are you set on any particular type of bag? I recently received a Maxpedition Malaga for a gift and love it! I was given a Lunada at first, but it was too small for my needs. I know when I go out I don't carry a tremendous amount of extra gear so the Lunada or Malaga would be good for me. I have taken a liking to the gearslingers.

3. TrailCam

TrailCam Empty Pockets

I pack in about 4 miles to my trailcams with the Maxpedition Sitka. It is the gearslinger style and swings around to the front. It holds my pistol, two magazines, FAK, flashlight, gloves, food, wipes, several tools, emer blankets, and several other items. You can go bigger with the Kodiak or smaller with the Jumbo Versipack. Use the dx you walk and the things you want to take with you to determine the optimal size bag you will get.

4. ww2fanatic

ww2fanatic Loaded Pockets

I have an maxpedition jumbo and it is about the perfect size for water bottle,extra gloves,tp.etc. but i noticed it swooshed when i walked which can be an issue

5. secondechomatt

secondechomatt Loaded Pockets

I have a falcon II in khaki/foliage combo and it is my edc bag for my laptop and ipad and my weekend bag for all my hunting gear. The only change that is made, is that the electronics are removed and my "hunting stuff" small bag is dropped in.

Other than that, my load out is surprisingly the same.

6. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Initially I thought the Sitka was what I was after, but after looking at specs thought maybe a touch small for any extra clothes or to "drop" clothing during a hunt. Kodiak looks like a good size but not sure on the single strap....so Falcon II may get a closer look, as it seems myself and secondechomatt would have the same usage patterns...

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

There was a thread in the good deals section that had a 3 for one on a chest rig type bag that I think is designed for hunting.

8. JMS42687

JMS42687 Loaded Pockets

I live in Maine and I hunt some pretty big woods on occasion. If I'm going to go out in a large piece of woods I will pack my gear and supplies in my Northface Recon. It's a small bag but it's comfortable and it holds what I need. Depending on what type of hunting your doing it can get annoying having a large bag on while trying to stalk game. I mean sure it's nice to have a bag that can carry a lot of gear but depending on your hunting situation it may not be practical. This is all just my opinion and YMMV.

9. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the responses, i will take them into consideration. Does anybody know if there is a bag that can convert so to speak from a single strap to a dual strap?

10. Dubya

Dubya Loaded Pockets

With some minimal modification, a Malaga could. When I was carrying one, I never could get comfortable with the way the strap was centered on the top of the bag, so my plan was to have the strap removed, then simply snap two of Maxpedition's 2" carry straps (with pads) on using the already-installed D-rings. This set up wouldn't carry a 20-30lb load all day for months on end, but for my needs it would have worked perfectly and allowed for a lot of flexibility. You would'nt HAVE to remove the factory strap unless you just wanted to though.

11. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

+1 on Falcon II. It’s narrow so it’s easy to get thru thick bushes.

12. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Kifaru Molle Express.

Kifaru Express.

Kifaru Spike camp.

13. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Never seen kifaru..will have to take a look. Thanks!

14. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Brace your wallet....

...serious gear though, I'm smitten with mine.

15. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Wow looked at them....I think that's a bit outta range for me...look like a great bag though, like they'd last forever!

16. aedmband21

aedmband21 Loaded Pockets

A year and half from now I predict you'll be selling or trading your maxpedition for Kifaru/Mystery Ranch. Some need the experiment of trying other bags, but believe me if you buy quality now you won't be left wanting better a year from now when you realize that while the maxped it bomb-proof.... it carries like ****. My humble opinion of course.... I currently still own a falcon II.

17. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I'm not the type to buy designer or hyped gear, but I don't regret a penny that I've spent with Kifaru. It'll outlive me, and as I said in another thread, it's brought me some 'inner peace'... my X-ray and organiser in particular have my work gear and admin stuff so well sorted that I no longer spend ages re-packing and looking for better, more comfortable ways to carry my stuff. It's about perfect, and I trust it not to fail.

It's not just the quality, it's the design... compared to maxped, 511, hazard4 and TAD packs I've owned or own, the kifaru has pockets that you can stuff without affecting the volume of the main compartment, better distribution of load by it's tapered design, better compression that doesn't spoil the lines of the bag, PALS that pouches don't sag from or move around on due to uneven spacing (ala maxped) and the best modularity and options for configuring that I've ever seen.

I haven't handled Mystery Ranch in person, but I get the feeling they are just as well thought out and put together. I probably won't need another pack in my lifetime, unless I need a huge capacity for some reason, so I don't suppose I'll ever get to try a MR.

18. strat23

strat23 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I use a Falcon II and recommend it highly - perfect size for a day hunt of overnighter - Strat

19. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

This but I sold my Falcon II....

x2 but I got the Molle Express for hiking.

I've went through the whole Maxpedition, Camelbak, The North Face....ect
    the Camelbak Linchpin and military hawg are pretty decent packs for the price.

Kifaru has been my last, it just works perfect.

If the price is to much then look at
    Arct'eryx and Granite Gear.

20. Dougster

Dougster Loaded Pockets

I carry a Kifaru E&E which believe it or not is very versatile. When I am sat up a seat waiting I can have coffee and things it it using the shoulder strap. Whe going further I use the X ray straps and can get quite a bot it and lash my coat to the outside.

I add it to my Express for hiking overnighters but it's a great bag on it's own.