1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hunting boot ?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by mley1, May 25, 2015.

1. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Ya'll, I'm in the market for a new pair of hunting boots. For the past few years I've been using some of my old duty boots, Bates with side zipper. They used to hold out the water and muck. But, no more. They're trash. The new Bates that I bought, which were advertised as water proof, are junk. They get wet in wet grass. Plus, my feet sweat in them.

So, for duty wear I decided to splurge. I decided maybe you get what you pay for. So, I bought a set of black non insulated Danner Acadia's. So far, I love them. The quality built into these boots is amazing. So, I went on the hunt for some tan Acadia's on Ebay. I found some. But, they have 600grams of Thinsulate, besides the Gore Tex lining. My concern is if they will be too hot to wear during the warmer months. I do a lot of hunting in the summer, and fall. Temps can be in the 90's and up. My question is, do you think my feet will suffer too bad with the 600grm Thinsulate insulation. I know I'll love them in cold weather. That's not my concern. I don't want my feet to suffer in the hot weather. I also wear boots quite a bit fishing down here, as solid boots are much better for protecting my ankles while rock hopping on the jetties and rocks where I fish.

The deal on the tan Acadia's is pretty good. What do ya'll think? Go for it?

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

IMO- Yes.

I have a pair of Rocky hunting boots with 600gr of Thinsulate. Great for cold weather hunting, but too warm for my tastes in the warmer months.

I prefer light hikers and a pair of gators in the summer.

3. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Yea, as much as I like the look of the boots, I too think 600grams of thinsulate insulation is going to be way to hot for my uses. Shucks, the Acadia's I have without the insulation can get a bit warm when I'm working hard, and doing a lot of walking. But I sure love them.

4. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I went with a
    USMC Rat 8" Mojave GTX

[​IMG]
    [Rule 14 content removed] But, I got a smoking deal on a new pair [Rule 14 content removed]. I got a pair en-route for less than half retail. Most all of the reviews I've read on this boot are good. I'll be wearing them daily, and for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. If they're good enough for our marines, they're good enough for me.

kikaida likes this.
  5. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I hunt in Mississippi and Louisiana year round... yeah! You'll suffer in the summer! My good winter boots stay in the camp during the summer because they're so well insulated. (Btw they're cabelas branded with plenty of thinsulate) [spelling?]

You'll sweat and have more moisture in those boots than if you walked through a creek! IMHO, get a nice set of warm weather boots. I can't recommend anything at the moment because I usually use an old pair of Magnum duty boots. Decent ventilation but keep my feet dry.

6. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I got my Danner USMC RAT GTX boots in. I'm not a Marine. But, I figured if these boots were good enough for our marines to hike around in, they would certainly be good enough for me. And, from the first moment they slipped(yes I said slipped) onto my feet I was in heaven. These boots are THE most comfortable boot I've ever worn, bar none. The leather is supple, and pliable. The insole is nice and plush, with good support. Plus, they are TOUGH. They can handle the outdoors, the indoors, or where ever the hell you want to wear them. The soles are vibram, and have good traction. They are not to stiff, nor to soft. Just right. I will be wearing these boots for everyday wear, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking....etc. I wear a 10 1/2 D, and I ordered them in that size. They fit perfectly, like a very well fitting glove. No break in period required. They feel like nice plush tennis shoes or slippers, very comfortable. Plus, they are light weight compared to most of my other boots. I have Danner Acadia's, Bates, Rocky's, and these Danner USMC RAT's feel like the lightest boots, and are certainly way more comfortable than any of them, including the Acadia's. Do yourself a favor. If you love comfortable, good looking, tough, water proof, long lasting boots, get yourself a pair of these. And, if you want boots that are re-craftable and can be resoled, then these boots are for you. They are simply fantastic. I love them!

7. PiperCub49

PiperCub49 Loaded Pockets

I've been putting some serious miles on my LL Bean Technical Kangaroo Upland Boots while turkey hunting. They're like heaven on your feet. The toe box is huge. These things are so silly light that they feel cheap, but they're top notch for sure. I look forward to many years of field use with them.

8. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I
    I would love to see a picture of those boots. I've heard a lot of good things about LL Bean products. I only have some goretex pants by them, and they are fantastic. They were a gift. But I didn't know they had boots. Did Danner make their boots for them?

9. PiperCub49

I live a couple minutes from the LL Bean flagship store. It's known for two things: great quality and an impeccable warranty. I'be become a lifetime fan. I've wondered who makes these boots for them, but I haven't figured it out yet. Of course, they make their own signature LL Bean boots in house, but these are likely outsourced to a reputable manufacturer. You can look at their website for some pretty pictures, but here is a field picture. ;-)

https://flic.kr/p/u8ge4w

mley1 likes this.
  10. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Interesting lacing system. Looks like a cable with a tensioner. And, rather than the regular lace eyelets, you have what looks almost like enclosed pulley's. Are they holding up good? They look comfortable, especially for cold weather.

11. PiperCub49

It is quite interesting. It's called a Boa lacing system. I wasn't a big fan of the idea until I started using these boots. You put them on, push the knob inward, and turn it. It tightens the Kevlar laces on each side and your boots are snug in a couple seconds. I don't miss sitting down and trying to snag each eyelet, like I have to do on my super duper cold-weather boots. To undo the Boa lacing, you just pull the knob and the tension is released. Super simple and fast. Oh, and just so you know, more and more boots are using this Boa system now. Definitely a cool feature.

As for cold weather (<30 degrees), the 200g Primaloft insulation will work well for the shoulder seasons, but not winter unless you are wearing good socks and/or constantly walking.

Last edited by PiperCub49, Jun 4, 2015
    mley1 likes this.
  12. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I put the boots to the test today. It's been raining a torrential down pour where I live. To get to my sons car I had to wade through water nearly to the tops of the boots, and stand in it at his door. I had to move the car before it got flooded out. My Danner USMC RAT's didn't leak a drop. My feet are bone dry. I LOVE these boots!! Been wearing them every day since I got them.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  13. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Those are great looking boots. I've had good experience with Danner boots, particularly the USA made models like yours are. Comfortable, durable and reliable. I have some un-insulated East Ridge 8" boots in my hunting boot rotation that those remind me of.

14. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Reminder: as you post here, please observe Rule 14. Deal Spotting. Our members are adept at using Google.

Thank you!

15. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry xbanker. I didn't intend to violate the rules. I wasn't trying to deal spot for others. I was only telling them where I got my new boots. I apologize if that violated the deal spotting rule. I'll be more careful in the future about discussing where I got my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

The more I wear these boots, the more I like them. Fantastic boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Like you said, if they're good enough for our Marines in combat and in all types of environments, then they must be great.

18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My Dad told my brothers as they in turn went off to the service that if they get the chance to get better boots, do it because the issued ones are supplied by the lowest bidder.

Sent by owl post.

19. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I don't know about that. The 2 pairs of Belleville desert boots that I was issued are outstanding, and can be purchased for between $175 - $250. There aren't many problems with issued gear anymore because the contractor doesn't want to lose that contact. The quality of the boots and other gear issued nowadays is very good. In the 23 years I was in, I never knew anyone to have any problems with uniforms or their boots.

If you go into any AAFES military clothing store, some of what they sell there are issued gear.

20. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My Dad was giving advice based on WWII experiences. My foster son who was in the Navy during Iraq never had any complaints. My Dad's issue was parachute boots if I remember correctly. He always bought Corcorans.

Sent by owl post.

Dorian likes this.