1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Humble pie, not sweet and hard to swallow

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Rathbone, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Fishin Fool

Fishin Fool Loaded Pockets

I go minimalist quite often. That means dedicated light, fire, and sharp. There has never been a situation where I can't manage to carry those three things and countless situations where they made a significant difference.
    Cordage, USB charger, pen, paper, etc, etc have their time and place, but the big three are non-negotiable.

2. os2soliz

os2soliz Loaded Pockets

EDC is all about what you carry to deal with your life. If you go with standard: wallet, keys and that's it, great if that's all you need. For years while I wasn't deployed that's what I had: wallet, keys and that's it. Then as I realized the need for more I carried more. My EDC for when I was on deployment would be vastly different than my EDC yesterday or today. It's about what you think you would like to have to get throught the major parts of your day. There's nothing wrong with having a "Ah Snap" bag in the car or something like that, but it's in the car. You go with what helps you and maybe we can help each other by offering tips, tricks and our experiences.

medic68 likes this.
  3. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

So for me, as it probably is for most around here, it is a balance between practicality and convenience. I am a big "right to for the job" guy, and I have this discussion at least twice a week at work. I would rather have the proper implement so I can do my job in the most efficient way that I can. It takes a little more planning, and I wind up carrying a lot more tools at the start of the day than my co-workers, but I am much faster at doing my job than if I was just "making do". EDC is no different for me. I carry the items that help me get through my day while keeping the struggle to a minimum. And I probably carry what some would consider to be too much, but for the peace of mind it provides it is worth every ounce in my pockets.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rdisom likes this.
  4. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Even though this is a resurrected thread, I think it’s still worth commenting on because it is an important, reoccurring theme.

So someone may have already said this, but in case not...

I’m glad the OP had this epiphany. Now just imagine that the next time they found themself in a similar situation, it was more of an emergency where their phone battery would have better served as a phone, and they had a separate keychain flashlight Just some food for thought. A tiny AAA Thrunite Ti3 could go a long way in a situation like this and take up hardly any space or weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#24 dmattaponi, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Tesla and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  5. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

On vacations, I travel with many options that can be customized for the situation. A stroll such as yours always necessitates at least a pocket knife, keychain sized or larger light and a whistle.

ran23 likes this.
  6. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

Amazed to see my old thread resurrected! I got a Microlight clipped to my Dime for EDC and I've just took delivery of a Countycomm credit card pouch with belt clip to make a small thin IFAK.
    I still favour small, minimal EDC but may start another thread to discuss my choices.:)

PragmaticMurphyist and twin63 like this.
  7. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

I may as well continue this here as I'm still going to refer to wanting to keep any gear as small and simple as possible. Also, I'd like to state I'm not criticizing anyone elses choices or advice. Instead, I'd like to focus on the individuality of everyones own situations.

My most likely "everyday worse case scenario" is having to walk 6 miles home from work. 3 miles through a small town, 3 miles country roads (the worst portion being half a mile of unlit country lane with no footpath.)

I do not need a knife, firestarting, fishing, compass, water purification, water or food

Let's assume I have a coat, hat, gloves, boots and a spare pair of socks, which I normally keep in my car.

My EDC get home bag/kit needs to include

Phone - with stored numbers for emergencies etc
    Torch - either head or pocket

IFAK Countycomm deep cover clip pouch- Plasters (regular and blister) 4 x Ibuprofen, Imodium, Needle, Safety pin, Whistle, chewing gum*
    5 feet of bank line, SAK Classic - for the scissors and tweezers
    Cash

That would be my absolute minimum but let's imagine it's night and blizzarding!

In my car I have a folding walking stick so let's take that.
    I would also add a Hi-Vis vest or armbands
    I can put a space blanket in my coat pocket
    Ditto a few tie wraps

Lastly, in my coat I'll include a spare clip buckle belt and a heavy duty refuse sack

I could take water and food from work, or use the cash to buy something on the way. It would all depend on the conditions and time of day etc.

I walk some of this route every week for exercise. In fine weather I think it would take just over two hours. in bad weather I'd say at least another hour on top as there are some long steep inclines.

I can almost hear some shouting that I need a rucksack and a ton of other gear. Yet, there's going to be others that would say I should be able to complete the journey in my underpants and scavenge things along the way

What I've chosen feels to me, minimal but adequate for what I consider to be the most likely possibilities.
    I've got ways to see and be seen, I've things to treat a blister or cut, and I've got several ways to signal should I get in distress. I have a way to fix any clothing malfunction. You could use the folding walking stick as a means of defence but I'm hardly Steed out of the Avengers.

Could I add more? Absolutely, there's a case to be argued for a poncho, chapstick, handwarmers, headphones, wellington boots etc

*Sugarfree chewing gum. I recently had a tooth break and a filling drop out. I had to wait two weeks for a dental appointment. No pain initially, but gradually over the days it built up to the wrong side of distracting. Painkillers and chewing gum in the cavity helped me get to sleep for two nights.

I guess the trick is knowing when to stop.

Last edited by Rathbone, Aug 8, 2021
    #27 Rathbone, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    twin63 likes this.
  8. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

You're the person best placed to know what you need or want, and what would just be additional weight.

The only thing I'd ask is whether you're sure your flashlight will have enough battery to throw all the lumens you need for c. three hours (assuming you may have been using it for other things before your trek home through the blizzard)? A spare cell or two might be worth considering.

(Re the tooth problem, there's an over-the-counter (in the UK) dental anaesthetic called Oragel. It's about a fiver, comes in a tiny little tube and has a longish shelf life. I've put some in my IFAK and it's come in handy a couple of times.)

twin63 likes this.
  9. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

EDC is different things to different people. One of the things I think of it as, is exactly what it says: Everyday carry.

My minimal EDC is a small flashlight (Olight S1R M1 baton), my wallet, a notebook and pencil, and my keys.

The S1R is a useful bit of kit., USB rechargable, it clips INTO my pocket, and most of the time, I can forget it's there, waiting in the wings, so to speak, for it to be used. I heartily recommend the S1R to you; it's small, light, and puts out excellent lighting for its size.

twin63 likes this.
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I think your approach to building your kit is very sensible in that it’s designed around you and your specific needs/wants. Admittedly, my kits are far from minimal - and that’s not likely to change anytime soon - but there have been times that I’d like to shave off a pound or ten!

As for your light...I was never much of a headlamp guy, but I’ve come to appreciate them. If I have to walk any significant distance, especially if there are obstacles, bad weather, etc., I want to keep both hands free. I’ve added headlamps to my emergency kits. There are a lot of good options regarding weight, battery type, lumens/runtime that make it easy to choose one that fits your requirements.

I’m interested to see what your final kit looks like. Keep us updated!

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I tend to wear a baseball cap when I'm out and about; in addition, the company issues one to us as part of the uniform. My S1R Baton clips to the brim, and in combination, provides a head-worn light when needed :)

twin63 likes this.
  12. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I’m the opposite. I rarely wear a baseball cap due to my work attire (medical office setting). But if I did, I would definitely take advantage of these compact, lightweight pocket lights with the 2-way pocket clips. It really adds versatility/multi-use capability for a minimalist kit. Good advice!

Last edited by twin63, Aug 14, 2021
    #32 twin63, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    RogerStenning likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You can also get a temporary filling patch. I take it with me when backpacking or traveling out of the country. I've never had to use it.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.