1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HPG Kit Bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by SeanByrdman, Nov 17, 2016.

1. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

I'm looking into getting an original kit bag by Hill People Gear in the possibly close future. Anyone have any experience and have load outs and/or tips? I'm torn between the Ranger Green and Foliage colors.

2. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

I had the Recon and now I have the Snubby Original Pattern. The Recon was too big for my purposes but I was carrying a Glock42 in it. Had I wanted to carry my HKVP9 it wouldve been great. The Snubby is just big enough to carry the 42 in a kydex pocket type holster.

I felt like the Recon looked too big on me too. I was too tempted to put too much stuff in it as well.

There really isnt a better way to conceal carry while hiking or wearing a backpack tho!

SeanByrdman likes this.
  3. Redleg22

Redleg22 Loaded Pockets

Have the original in Coyote. Love it. Great addition for a day hike. Mine has carried anywhere from a Glock 17 on down in size as far as pistol is concerned without changing any of the other contents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how to use print screen

steeps and SeanByrdman like this.
  4. el rocko

el rocko Loaded Pockets

I have 2, the runner's kit bag and the recon. I never hike without either. Always carry my firearm and generally carry a light, small knife, phone, keys, and snacks. Was my go to carry for day-hiking the mountains in WY, ID & MT last summer.

SeanByrdman likes this.
  5. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Have you guys ever noticed people looking at you in any particular way while wearing the Kit Bag?

It seems like Ive noticed a few people taking longer than normal glances at me while wearing it...Could just be my rugged good looks tho ;)

SeanByrdman likes this.
  6. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I use a modified pouch as a chest pouch and folks deffo like a stare

7. SeanByrdman

I'm a Wildlife and fisheries bio student, so besides trail runs when I get in a better running shape and hikes/fishing/etc. I was going to use the original for field labs just to keep some stuff handy instead of lugging my backpack around, especially if I have to get in water.

8. SeanByrdman

Also newnan3 el rocko(no idea how to tag you, sorry about that) what color config do you have set up in your kit bags? There's just not enough eye candy on these for me. If y'all don't mind posting photos of them.

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

No offense, but I think I'd find a better way to carry my ammo... Like in a spare magazine, maybe?

10. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

I cant post pics bc my photobucket account is jacked up. I put a red paracord zipper pull on mine to add a dash of color.

I suppose one could add a patch or logo if so inclined....

SeanByrdman likes this.
  11. Redleg22

Redleg22 Loaded Pockets

Look again Blackheart. There is a loaded spare magazine in that photo with +2 hyve baseplate. Yes on top of that there is loose extra ammo.

12. el rocko

el rocko Loaded Pockets

On occasion I've noticed some looks but I've never been asked if I'm carrying (which I wouldn't be forthcoming for a stranger).

I always wear the kit bag while on trail and it is a unique wearable not generally seen so it gets a bit of attention. It's such a convenient way to carry easily accessible items in a comfortable manner that I never hesitate to don it regardless of what others might think. It may look somewhat bulky to some and does have a few critics in that area but I find that to be a matter of aesthetics more than function and comfort. It also is not always easy to get on or off when wearing cold weather garb so there's that. Not show stoppers but some things to consider.

Lastly, the above applies whether one chooses to carry or not.

13. el rocko

el rocko Loaded Pockets

Afraid I have no pics currently. My kit bags are in ranger green and I'm considering an original in Coyote. Best bet is to go to youtube and search for video reviews for the HPG kit bags. Lots of good info there.

Just want to add that in the spirit of EDC the HPG kit bag may be a bit too forward as urban EDC carry and is more suited to urban recreation carry (a matter of opinion really). I use mine every day walking & hiking but I'm retired and living in the boonies so I guess I'm EDC compliant.

SeanByrdman likes this.
  14. SeanByrdman

I've been planning to use it outdoors (Trail/hunt-whenever I get to that/fishing/anything with waders) and whenever I have a field lab. But scour YouTube
    i have. I think I'm leaning more to the ranger green just because there tends to be more things in that color. Don't enjoy looking like a jigsaw puzzle

15. el rocko

el rocko Loaded Pockets

For your intended use I'd be very surprised if you weren't completely satisfied. Admittedly I'm an HPG fanboy but I've purchased their gear and I use it almost daily and can vouch for their quality and usefulness.

SeanByrdman likes this.
  16. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I did a review in the review section of the kit bag.

SeanByrdman likes this.
  17. SeanByrdman

I had been looking at them for a while. While creeping out on their forum I saw a user that had his setup for bird banding, which kinda sweetened the deal for me.

18. SeanByrdman

Update: Ordered an original in Ranger and it came in Thursday. I'm loving it! I've been walking around my apartment with it on tying to get a feel for where I like it adjusted. Trying to find the optimal base load-out for it currently. Until I get a pistol, I guess I'll use that compartment for overflow, or since it fits, my iPad to take out and read on with a hammock maybe.

19. kenshomi

kenshomi Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeing one too. I'd use it for CC when backpacking. I am really interested in using it while paddle board fishing. Having gear on your chest would be a huge advantage to around the waist or on the board itself.