1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How's your longest carried EDC knife holding up?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sharpdogs, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I've packed my Strider PT since early 2005 , and my Vic. Huntsman ( :censored: friendly knife ) since forever . I recently ( bout a year go ) standardized on the Vic Spirit for my multitool needs . Up till now , I had always been prone to EDC adultery , never staying loyal to any one piece for more than a few months .

Chris

2. rhkirk1

rhkirk1 Empty Pockets

I have yet to get into the addiction of knives. I have carried the same Kershaw Vapor for about 4 years. Still looks and cuts great.

3. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Gerber Multitool-7 years and still going strong!!

4. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've had a small Victorinox SAK on my keychain for about 10 years. The scales are scratched up, but other than that it's still going strong.

5. Alter Rostig

Alter Rostig Loaded Pockets

I carried a Sebenza, small one, for about 10 years. Somehow it went missing, but it was a great knife. So long as you put some moly paste on the pivot. it's a really great knife. I've been carrying a William Henry for a couple of years now. Very nice little knife, maybe a little too fancy for an EDC.
    Jack

6. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I carried a Gerber Multi Tool for about 4 years until I upgraded to a Letherman Charge then down graded to a Leatherman wave.

7. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

I've carried my Fisherman SAK daily for 20+ years. One of the ends of a scale recently broke (it was cracked for a couple of years), but otherwise it's doin' jes' ducky. :D

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

My most carried knives WAS the small Dog Paws Sebenza, that is until the Begg GG arrived on DEc. 24th. The Begg has been in my pocket since then. Also my Mike Alsdorf slippie has been in my pocket since it's arrival.
    [img width=640 height=360]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/TheKnifeCollector/SebbieSmallDogPawsopen.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [img width=640 height=425]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/TheKnifeCollector/Asldorfgeenopen.jpg[/img]

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The longest I have carried a knife continually has been my black Victorinox cadet which has been in my pocket for a little over a year.

So far the finish on the alox scales is getting pretty worn and is slowly fading from black to a metal grey, but beyond that the knife is still near perfect - all the tools open and work as they should beyond an occasional sharpening of the blade to keep it cutting.

10. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

My longest standing EDC knife is my Spyderco Yojimbo. I have carried it for at least six years now. I was just moments ago talking about potentially retiring it. It is so far gone from production these days that it would be really tough to find a replacement at a cost less than an arm and a leg. Word is also that Janich has been working on a Yojimbo 2 since his return to Spyderco. I don't want to speculate how well that is going to turn out considering the absolutely lack luster "Be Wharned" that he put out during his time with Blackhawk but I am keeping my hopes up. Back to the point, The Yojimbo has held up incredibly well over these many years. It has a certain delicate nature to its blade configuration and I had half expected to bend or break the tip somehow. But, I stuck to the general rule of not using a knife as a pry bar or a screw driver and it has continued to go the distance. The CPMS30V takes a wicked edge every time and the G10 although thoroughly worn still has a great deal of tact.

11. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i have a gerber prodigy the original version without the gut hook. ive had this knife for 3 years. ive only sharpened it maybe 3 times at max! for 20 bucks it can take some abuse and stand strong. a great full tang fixed blade. the sheath coulda been made sturdier but once again you get what you pay for. other than that the knife is a gem!

12. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

I have a Benchmade 2550 Mini Reflex that I EDC'ed from mid 2005 until this past spring. It's soaked up everything I've thrown its way including being repeatedly submerged in saltwater, and there's not a spot of rust or corrosion on it anywhere. I would probably still be EDCing it today if not for the fact that I lost it and replaced it with a Bradley Auto Alias II. When the 2550 finally turned up, it went to extreme duty and the Alias became my EDC.

13. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

The knife I carried the longest was a Gerber Ridge (3 or 4 years, something like that) and it was completely shot. Specifically the steel of the frame was too soft for the ball detent and had a huge groove in it, but interestingly enough the ball itself was also worn flat to the point that opening it was very gritty/unsmooth even when the knife was clean. The blade was also messed up from my poor attempts at sharpening during that time.

14. Ignoramus

Ignoramus Empty Pockets

Leatherman Wave going on 4 years now. I bought it used and it had blade play on both blades from the start. It's basically in the same condition, even though I've used it for most of the jobs that I don't like my favored folders to go through. I like my other knives more and because of that, I've tended to baby them a little. And because of that, all of the hard jobs go to the Wave. It's proven to be the most useful knife/multitool I've ever owned.

15. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Boker drop point Trance since February 2009, still looks as new. The Trance replaced a Spyderco Delica Clipit I EDCed for 15 years.

16. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

My SAK OHT is still going strong after 3 years of daily use.
    Touched up the serrations twice so far.
    I have 2 in reserve.

17. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I carried a Kershaw tanto blur daily for about 3 years

18. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

My most carried three are probably SAK Tourist (since early 2009), Case Barlow (since 2007), Sheffield Made Lambsfoot (since early 90's).

The steel grade on all 3 is unknown, but all three perform their tasks adequately for me and are easy to sharpen. They are all showing "character" and signs of use/carry, but there is a great deal of life left in all of them. As regards knives I can't carry all the time (i.e. fixed blades) but still get a fair mount of use, my most used is an 8cm Iisaakki Jarvenpaa puukko which I got about 6 years ago. That too is looking "well travelled", but has been a phenomenal little tool, and will continue to serve me well for many years unless I do something stupid with it.

I do treat my knives as knives though, not prybars or screwdrivers etc, and I don't think I lost the tip off a blade or broke a blade since I was about 11