1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How's your longest carried EDC knife holding up?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sharpdogs, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

The knife that I have carried the most for the past two years has been the Boker Trance. For the most part it has been my EDC. Every now and then I rotate it out for a new knife to test before carrying it in my store, but I always go back to the Trance. I try not to baby the Trance but I do not do non knife taks with it, such tightening a loose screw or cutting through a car door. The worse abuse it saw was a week long camping trip summer. It was hot, humid, rainy and the mosiquitos were the size of Cesnas and as mean as Rosie O'Donnel when she runs out of ice cream. Overall I have been extremely impressed as to how the knife has held up, especially for a $30 or less knife. I have had to sharpen it a few times but it easily takes and edge. About a month or two ago I notice some blade play. I tightened to screws on the scales and I was all set. The only other knife that has been my EDC this long (besides a SAK) was a Spyderco Delica. I still have the Delica and carry it occasionally but the Trance is more comfortable to hold and I love the flipper.

What knife have you carried the longest and how's it holding up?

2. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Before I seriously got into knives I EDCd a Gerber Ridge for about 2 years or so, held up great until the ball bearing got seated into the handle and wouldnt turn anymore which made opening hard and scratchy. My current EDC is an Al Mar Nomad, but I've only had it for 3 months. It's held up great though.

3. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

Before I found these forums and expanded on my knife knowledge, my longest carrier was my Kershaw Vapor. It still holds up nicely. No blade play, could use a sharpening (my sharpmaker got here today!), has a couple tiny rust spots, but otherwise is in great condition.

These days I rotate my knife out almost everyday, although recently my Spyderco Native has been getting a little more carry than the rest. It usually goes between the Native, my Delica 4 ZDP, BM Grip, or one of my Trances (PE and Black CE). I like them all too much to dedicate myself to one knife :)

4. lastxj

lastxj Empty Pockets

I have an orignal Benchmade AFCK that I bought almost 10 years ago that's been used and (sadly) abused most of those years. It shows its wear but I still carry it often and it still opens slick, locks solid without blade play and holds an edge well. My oldest good knife.

5. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

This week I just went back to EDCing my old Kershaw 2420 with a plain edge, I bought it in the mid nineties when I still kept horses. I must have cut a few miles of baling twine with it, I have hammered the blade into wood to split it for kindling and to make plugs to fill up old screw holes in stable doors when re-fitting hinges and I may get flamed for this but have opened many a varnish and paint can with it when nothing else was close by, well, it's a tool and tools are there to be used.
    I pulled it out of the drawer Sunday and the opening was really stiff, I tried some light oil, still stiff so I poured a kettle full of boiling water through the pivot as I remembered carrying it when sea kayaking, salt is a bitch and boiling water is the easiest way to shift it, now it's as good as ever, it just looks a little worn and the edge has been sharpened so many times it no longer has it's original shape.

6. akubra

akubra Loaded Pockets

I`ve been carrying a Spyderco Police with fully serrated edge and stainless steel handle for about 12 years, before switching over to a Sebenza in 2006. I didn`t carry it during work hours, but besides that I usually had it clipped to my front pocket when I left the house. It did serve me quite well for all of my cutting tasks-like cutting boxes, opening letters, cutting zip ties and a plastic bottle. I also used the spine as a screwdriver a couple of times. Looking back, it held up well. Occasionally there would be some surface corrosion on the blade, that I would remove with the help of some steel wool. Other maintainence included occasional re-sharpening as well cleaning.
    Blade play was not an issue, as it had a good amount of it from the very start. :p Flicking the knife open was VERY easy. Another thing that I did not like about it, was the rather slippery handles.

Anyways, I still own the knife and it enjoys it`s retirement now. :)

7. needbiggerpockets

needbiggerpockets Loaded Pockets

I have EDC'd an SAK ( i think its the Tinker but not sure) for more than 10 years. Over the years various parts broke,got bent or suffered much abuse as my EDC toolkit. I finally sent it back to Victorinox late last year asking for their help to bring it back to life. It returned a week ago, looking almost like new! They replaced the broken/cracked scales, replaced the bent/broken parts and did a couple of upgrades. I have confirmed that it's not a new kife - still has various dings from my using it as a hammer .. (ok, not a good idea, but you use what you got available to do what's gotta get done). Best part, aside from getting my trusty SAK back, was that there was no charge for the repairs!!! Thank you Victorinox!!

8. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

Got a few Benchmades I use quite a bit, a 670 Apparition, 840, 913, 707. The 670 gets the most use, and its held up fine, about the only thing I have to do is tighten the pivot screw once in a while. Holds a edge great. The 840 has been used a lot too, holds an edge even longer with that S30V blade. Love 'em both. The 913 is really light for its size, but I haven't used it nearly as much as the others. No reason really, I gotta just carry it more

9. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

An original swiss army champion, mid to late 70's purchase, carried around the world a few times while employed by uncle sugar ........ :evil:

Still as sharp as it was NIB on day one !

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fzJK1OFlL._AA280_.jpg

Best EDC shy of a good multi-tool like leatherman I have encountered since.

10. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

Same here! I have both a way old AFCK and one they did as a limited edition in D2 bladesteel with an Axis lock, they are both very well used, but no worse for wear.
    :cool:

11. CopperKnight

CopperKnight Empty Pockets

I was going to say the same thing. Mine served me 9 years before she disappeared into a snow bank. Still in there. I have to wait until thaw to find her and hopefully salvage it. Best knife I ever had. If I find it again in good shape, I'm going to tighten up the pocket clip. Couldn't ask for more from a knife.

12. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

My SAK Super Tinker is holding up just fine.

13. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

I've been EDCing the Spyderco Centofane III for about a week & a half. I sorta noticed that VG-10 doesnt hold a edge well against Cardboard (which is what i cut up the most to recycle :-X). But after a touch up on the Sharpmaker(1hr on the fine stones), im all set again. [​IMG]

14. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The flipper on my Trance is so much darn fun to use that I managed to loosen the pivot
    screw just by flipping it open a million times or so. But no problem, tightened the pivot screw
    up with a Kershaw tool and made a vow to flip less often (tough, let me tell you!). I like
    carrying the Trance but haven't used it all that much.

My black KeyCom is still my most used knife, and while the black outside coating
    has worn off in spots (it's on my jangling keys on a belt hook, after all), it is still
    sharp. I sharpened it on a ceramic rod once or twice.

I carry an SAK on my belt all the time but it doesn't see as much use as the
    KeyCom--since I'm an urban guy, most of my use involves opening letters.
    I save my cheap knives (Pakistani made barlows and the like) for gummy package
    tape when opening packages.

The Wharcom is always in my pocket and occasionally sees use if I find a task
    the KeyComm can't handle.

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Why save your cheap knives for the task of opening up package tape when a little bit of Zippo lighter fluid will dissolve the adhesive right off?

16. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

BM 710 HS. EDC since they hit production... When WAS that ?

17. spaceconvoy

spaceconvoy Loaded Pockets

Seems like an akward way to open a package... pour lighter fluid all over the tape? :lolhammer: I get what you mean, but the first time I read that sentence, I thought backwards :idiot2:

By the way, my Vic Huntsman is still going strong after more than 15 years. I don't EDC it any more, but it gets drawer duty in the kitchen. The scissors are bent out of shape, but the saw is in brand new condition since I've only used it probably twice in it's lifetime. Should probaby spend sometime cleaning the gunk out of it, otherwise it's in great condition.

18. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

If the scissors are bent, why not just send it off to Victorinox? They'll also clean it up for you, if you include it in a letter. ^^;

19. spaceconvoy

spaceconvoy Loaded Pockets

I know I should... part of it is just being lazy, but a part of me doesn't like the idea of Vic fixing something I broke, for free. Just don't feel right.

20. dfinf2

dfinf2 Loaded Pockets

I have carried my SOG Power Lock for about a year and a half now, carried almost everyday and used just the same. It has been in water, under the hood of my car, in snow, cooking grease, etc. Mainly the only thing scratched on it are the knife, and the pliers, the pliers because I was using them to hold something while sanding and got a lil to close to the belt with the pliers. I find the knife loses an edge quickly, too. I also did away with the stupid ,IMHO, hand guards as they felt cheesy and poorly designed. Almost, forgot the spring piece in the bit holder fell out so I tried to replace with a piece of paperclip, this works okay, but not as well as I would have liked, and I just don't feel like ordering the part from SOG.

Here is a picture (Click for a larger view):

[img width=640 height=480]http://www.personal.psu.edu/ajb5382/pics/DSC01079_20.JPG[/img]