1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Howdy All, from California

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BadDad, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BadDad

BadDad Empty Pockets

TL;DR I like sharp metal edges and I'm here to learn about EDC techniques and tools!

So...I just starting getting interested in the "EDC Life", though I have been a knife collector most of my life. I always carry a small-ish Schrade Old Timer fixed blade on my hip, and I usually have a Kershaw SpeedSafe in my front pocket and a neck knife because I have learned the hard way that 1 is never enough. I'm in construction administration, so I'm in an office but I definitely get my hands dirty and my knives get used...well.

I also collect vintage straight razors, restore the blades to shave standards, and rescale with custom hardwood and micarta scales as necessary. I shave my head every night with a straight from my personal rotation, and I have about 20 in various stages of repair.

For honing and sharpening I have quite a small collection of stones including several Silicone carbide and carborundum combination stones, a full set of Arkansas stones(soft, hard, true hard, and white translucent), medium and ultra fine diamond stones, Mutukusuyama Japanese synthetic 1000 and Red Aoto 4000, Naniwa Super Stones in 1k, 5k, 10k, and 12k, and a Japanese natural Shoubudani and Tomo nagura, and an Imperia la Roccia 12-15k slate.

My knives typically stay on the Arkies, except my Tomidachi kitchen knives which go to the Red Aoto 4K. Razors are usually done starting with a bevel set on the Mutukusuyama 1k unless there are geometry issues or chips that need to be repaired, in which case I'll put it in the soft Ark or ultra fine diamond, which is usually enough to set a good bevel on even a rough razor.

Anyhow...my focus is really on sharpening and honing as it is a bit of a zen moment for me to be rubbing steel on stones. I just get a kick out of sharpening and honing, especially if it's a blade that some might consider a "basket case" or even just a difficult blade...

But...I am in the market to learn more about EDC preparedness, survival, and self defense and this is what brings me here. I'm really looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 and Gary Gross like this.
  2. Nick4305
    • The Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy !

BadDad likes this.
  3. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard!

BadDad likes this.
  4. Diezel