1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How young is too young to teach a kid to shoot?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jpcool, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jpcool

jpcool Loaded Pockets

I have 2 daughters, an 8yr and a 4yr, people think I am nuts because I am teaching them to shoot. The 8 year old learned to shoot with a little Buck 10 BB rifle and now shoots a Co2 PX4 Storm Pistol. The grips are a little large for hands but she has adapted and manages to hit her targets quite frequently. The 4yr old is a trooper too and shoots that little Buck 10 BB rifle without fear. We have fun plinking cans in the backyard, I use this time to bond with my girls and teach them about gun safety and marksmanship. Call me crazy but I don’t see anything wrong with this.

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I started bow and arrow in 3rd grade, air rifle in 5th grade, and .22 rifle in 7th grade.

3. jpcool

jpcool Loaded Pockets

That's great, I want to get them a starter bow and arrow set, my 8yr started to learn how to throw knives over the summer.

4. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Same thing as driving. "You'd teach a kid to drive?!" Kids do karts all the time. Just because other parents can't teach their children doesn't mean they have to put that restriction on you.

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

I would have been ready to learn earlier, but that's the age my Camp Fire Girls summer camp introduced those things. My dad taught me how to make plastic explosive for a science fair when I was 10. I was banned from science fairs after that.

6. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

SCIENCE!!! $2 says the next year would have been napalm :D

7. Sailsmaker89

Sailsmaker89 Loaded Pockets

I have always gone with maturity level as there are some 30+ year~olds I wouldn't trust handling firearms

1. ability to listen and do as directed instantly without question ( but allowing a Q&A session later to explain why what was done was done ) Range Officers will appreciate this if they ever compete.
    2. awareness of surroundings ( more of a directional thing "downrange/up-range ) which translates into muzzle consciousness..handy even when hunting if they take up that end of the sport.

It comes down to your judgement and what you feel the level of responsibility the students have, and I say "students" because that is what they become, I became a student of my fathers teachings in this area about age 6 and started competition shooting at 14 and been a student ever since..it is great quality time and I know for me and my brother shooting sports kept us from being teens doing dumb things and he still tells tales of his kids winning events 20 years after the fact..

People try and put you down for doing this for many reasons, they have their definition of nuts and I have mine,....

if they show interest in the safe and enjoyable sport that you can spend several hours with them as they grow into confident young ladies,then you would be NUTS not to provide them with the opportunity to learn based on your experiences

8. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

I remember when my son said that his battlestation on his Navy Frigate was the 50 cal. deck gun. I thought his chief had lost his mind. He didn't even have a driver's license.

9. Bert Reynolds

Bert Reynolds Loaded Pockets

Depends on the kid. Some are more " mature than others." I teach my 5 and 7 yoa but of course I keep everything under lock and direct and control.

10. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

my 5 yo is learning on a remington 597 .22. Also, I bring out the sig mosquito so he can get used to pistols. safety is everything but if you take the "magic" out of shooting, I feel that it breeds better responsibility. I grew up around guns and never had a problem of "playing" with them or what not. Good luck and enjoy shooting and your kids. Why can't you do both at the same time?

11. jpcool

jpcool Loaded Pockets

We have alot of fun with the shooting sports. I hang targets indoors all over the house, in every room, the kids navigate the house and use the nerf guns to shoot the soft projectiles at the targets. The wife even gets involved, it's fun for the whole family.

12. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I started my kids shooting two years ago when my son was 7 and my daughter was 6. I bought them a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and we would shoot pop cans in the back yard. They really enjoy it, although we don't do it as often as they would like. Hopefully we can do it more often this year. I'll probably move them up to my .22's when they hit 10-11 years of age, although I might get a more powerful air rifle as an intermediate stage.

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I wonder if environment has anything to do with it. When I was growing up farm and ranch kids where often shooting in grade school. Why I say environment if you see things killed with guns at an early age you know they are dangerous. I am just speculating on enviornment but I do know we tended to start very young.

14. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i was shooting well before i started first grade.

15. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

I'm going by maturity level too. I have a 9 year old and a 2 year old. The 9 year old has ADD and I have no idea if I'll ever be able to trust her with a loaded gun. In girls, it makes them very impulsive. I wanted to see how she'd do about 3 months ago while I was cleaning the shotty after a skeet range session. She was interested and I asked her if she wanted to hold the gun. She said yes and before I handed it to her (yes, unloaded), I told her: Rule 1- Don't touch the trigger. You can guess what she went for immediately. Sigh.

Maybe I'll pickup a BB rifle to teach them. That's what I started on. Santa brought one to me at 8 years old.

16. jpcool

jpcool Loaded Pockets

My girls are pretty good with pointing down range and keeping fingers off the trigger untill they are ready to shoot. Even the 4 year old is in tune, she yells at her older 13 yr old cousin if she points the gun in the wrong direction.

17. knuckleduster1

knuckleduster1 Loaded Pockets

We started when my oldest son was 6 and youngest was 4. Mostly .22s and BBs & pellets.

18. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

also very cool is to make your own bow. I think I was 14/15, my friend and I got a workshop for birthday. We made our own bows, they're 'round 2m tall, and deadly as hell;) Actually in an urban environment it's hard to find shooting places, but it was a great experience and if you're interested in teaching your kids something like that, you should consider something like that. Maybe there is some place you can make on.

19. Rod Freeman

Rod Freeman Loaded Pockets

Bang on.

My son was 7 when he learned to shoot and he's excellent with safety now that he's a teenager. Dam fine shot too. He's the calm, thoughtful type.

On the other hand ... I wouldn't let my sister's kids touch any of my guns and they are 12 and 11. They are completely out of control, refuse to follow instructions, and lack common sense.

Totally depends on the kid. And on whether your wife freaks out at you :D

20. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

I started with a BB gun at 6, then .22 at 9, then shotgun and other rifles at 10. start em' with a BB gun or pellet gun to learn good shooting techniques and safety.