1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How would you load a utility vest?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by GQkudzu, Nov 6, 2017.

1. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

Just for giggles, I wanted to get ideas for loading up an edc vest.

I just found a Carhartt Briscoe Vest at a good price, and being that it's one of the few summer-weight vests I've found in a tall size, I ordered one. The biggest reason I want it is for a summer cover garment during weekend travel, but I'm also liking the idea of another layer of edc -- something that enhances what's in my pockets. I'd like to use it to bridge the convenience between what's in my pants pockets and what's in my edc bag.

I think a lot of the things I now have in a bag could become even more convenient in a vest. However, I don't want to make it heavy or bulky, so I'm thinking of lighter weight items. What I already carry in my jeans pockets -- and what I prefer to leave in my jeans -- are Leatherman Wave, Fenix E05, Spyderco Delica, Field Notes, Fisher Space Pen, handkerchief, Sharpie, keys, Bic lighter. I'd also prefer to carry a spare magazine on my belt or in my bag.

Here are some items I'm thinking of for the vest pockets:

Silva Ranger Compass (since I'm often needing to know slope aspect, etc.)
    Swat T tourniquet plus clotting sponge
    Headphones
    Headlamp
    Spare bandana
    Tactical pen
    Work gloves

Any other good suggestions?

Gary Gross likes this.
  2. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

This is a trick question. You're asking us to suggest things to move from your bag to your vest but then you don't tell us everything you currently have in your bag. Do you walk to work or carry your lunch, yes or no? See how hard trick questions are to answer? ;)

Now, on a completely unrelated topic, if you would like something useful but not to big or heavy to carry in your new vest I suggest a pocket monocular. Being able to enhance your view of the world can help you see things better, see things you might not otherwise notice and, perhaps, identify problems from far enough away to avoid them entirely.

GQkudzu likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

First I'll say I've owned (and currently own) some Carhartt products. Although they make good products, I think their logo borders on obscene in appearance, lol. I'd probably remove that first if I could so without damaging the garment. They sometimes use a brown leather patch instead, and it's much more subtle and eye appealing.

Second, rather than just loading up the vest, think about what you need, what you want, and why you're carrying that stuff. I find that I like wearing a jacket because I can put more things in the pockets, but once you start adding things with any discernible weight, like a multitool, the weight and sag makes the carry unappealing. If I could get away with it comfortably, like no weight or bulges, I'd carry a full-size pistol, 2 spare mags, multitool, large flashlight, fixed blade knife, a blowout kit, bottle of water, compass, fire starting implements, Jason Bourne gear, blah blah blah. In reality, I don't carry any of that on my person, lol.

In a vest, I'd probably just go with a pen (the one I already carry), small notepad, maybe a Bic lighter, a rolled up pair of latex gloves (not specifically for first aid) and the spare mag for my little Glock 43. I really don't understand how people throw a bunch of stuff in their pockets and cope. I did that once, circa 2012, at a trip to Sam's Club and halfway through the weight and perception of stuff rubbing me, inside my pockets, about gave me a conniption. This was also back when I a lean race horse and used to stick a Glock 23 in my pants.

kikaida and GQkudzu like this.
  4. Warrior's Meadow

Warrior's Meadow Loaded Pockets

Maybe a small FAK, Kleenex, card wrapped with duct tape, lip balm, small sunscreen and a snack of some kind (my guess is you’re a beef jerky kind of guy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GQkudzu likes this.
  5. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

my 5.11 vest contains:
    Pepper spray, knife du' jour, poop bags for the dog, mini water dish for the dog, Canon 600, cell phone, home made bug repellent, moisture eye drops, antihistamine spray, dog training collar transmitter, nitrile gloves, usually one and sometimes two 24 oz bottles of water, wallet, pen, notepad, and a carabiner all comfortably, and there's still more room for other stuff as necessary.
    The vest also works very well as a cover garment for anything carried beneath it, on the belt, or IWB. :)

GQkudzu likes this.
  6. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

Good input! I've added to my list from these posts.

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I bought a utility vest for part of a costume a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I had my phone, wallet, keys, SAK, meds, small FAK, cereal bars, mints, change, flashlight, lighter, cigarettes and probably some other stuff all in the vest instead of in my trouser pockets which worked out great. Those trousers were a touch snug so without all the crap in my pockets, my butt looked great ;)