1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Would You Hold Your Pen (Self Defense)?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by robo-rabbit, Aug 22, 2015.

1. robo-rabbit

robo-rabbit Loaded Pockets

I understand that a (well-built) pen can function as a kutabon. Still, I would like to know your preferred grip and reasoning behind it.

I would favor the "ice pick grip" for its use incorporating hammer fist strikes, blocks, etc. I also edc small pens now, so the "fist grip" (with pen protruding from fist on each side) would not work for me.

For those who want to follow along, below is an instructional article on the kutabon, along with the grips. Just apply it to pens ;)

kravreviews.com/kubaton-keychain/

2. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I think I'd go with hammer fists too. I think that would be the most intuitive and effective thing in an emergency. A series of quick hits is going to be difficult to defend against, and you'll want to do overwhelming violence and escape, not go toe-to-toe using advanced techniques.

3. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Yeah in a situation like this the only grip I'd worry about was the one I had on my G19...

If I couldn't own a gun it's would then be one of my Spydercos...

Has there ever been a documented case of someone using a pen to successfully thwart an attacker? Other than Bourne or Bond?

4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Seriously????

Wow!!!

I can find all sorts of weapons to use before a pencil/pen!!! ...stapler comes to mind!!

5. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

Well, I guess it depends on the situation you're in and how many attackers you are facing. If you're up against a single attacker in a bus, train or plane, you might wait your chance until he is close to you and ram a pen up his nose or through his ear. Might cause enough damage to secure the situation. Of course, this is only my own crude theory.

ManVsLawn and mercurialpissings like this.
  6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Maybe one of those old-fashioned heavy, metal ones. The current generation ones are plastic. And so lightweight that a cockroach could pick one up and walk away with it!

7. mercurialpissings

mercurialpissings Loaded Pockets

If you have a few moments to prep, use a heavy object in one of your socks.

As for the question of holding a tactical pen, hold it like a kubotan. Its best to have your thumb on top of the pen as support. That's the reason why I love the design of Fellhoelter's TiBolt as a tactical pen. Clicky pens or those tactical pens with pointed heads might not be as easy to grip securely. Bear in mind once the pen hits on impact, it could easily slide from the hand therefore having a flat head for the thumb is a good plus.

8. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

UK weapons laws are incredibly all-encompassing; the mere carriage of a weapon is an offence in UK law, and if you employ a weapon over here, you have to be able to justify it in a court; there are no specific defences in UK laws in either case - it's up to a court to decide if you were justified in both carrying and using said weapon(s).

This said, while I'd normally use my hands - I was taught how to fight effectively by the Army; further, I was taught how to restrain a fully fit soldier (ex Royal Military Police reservist - so if I have to use a weapon, I'll likely be losing a fight to survive; on the basis that it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, any weapon usage I might employ at that point would have to be intentionally lethal (there being no such thing as a fair fight), so if using a writing implement, a pen stab to sever the carotid artery would be the method of choice; it's easy to find while under the stress of a fight to survive, vulnerable to a wide variety of attacks, and assuming you can get the pointy end of a weapon into play effectively, remarkably swift to achieve the required effect once successfully attacked.

I should also point out that as with all puncture wounds, it's also remarkably messy.

9. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

And might thus be an advantage, if there is more than one assailant. A large amount of blood usually gets people thinking and creates a desire to move into the opposite direction.

ManVsLawn and RogerStenning like this.
  10. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Any ink pen to the neck, throat or temple will create adequate mild discomfort in a defensive situation just like a fist held car key.

11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

thePlumbah I think this belongs in the self-defense sub-forum

There are many good videos on YouTube about this. Be aware though, as some teach techniques that could be lethal which is the downfall of this as a self defense tool, as it could be easy to go too far with it.

There are two basic schools of thought on this. There is the basic pen stab attack view where you hold the pen in either a forward or backwards fist with the tip exposed and attempt to stab your assailant. I don't like this method because it is easy for it to become lethal, which we usually do not want. I would only attempt that vs. a physically superior knife wielder or a gun wielder as an absolute last ditch attack.

The other idea is the kubaton method where you either hold the pen in a backwards hammer fist with your thumb over the end or you hold it with both ends exposed. Obviously the hammer fist is better for striking and the middle grip is better for using pressure point attacks/grab defenses/trips/other body control maneuvers. Another grip idea is a two handed hammer/anvil attack. Place the pen against an attackers hand/arm/shoulder when he grabs you using the thumb covering hammerfist grip. Then slam your other hand palm first into the pen hand. This is good for close areas where you can't move as much.

I don't like using clicky pens with defense in mind as it is hard to use a thumb on the end grip without clicking the point out. However, my main work carry pen is a Zebra F-701. It's a nice looking pen that is tough enough to handle abuse and could be used in an emergency. My non-work carry pen is the embassy pen. The Embassy pens are very nice looking heavy duty pens that could easily be used as a kubaton, but aren't generally classified as a "tactical pen". Another good pen for this is a Stainless Sharpie. They come in pen and marker variants, are incredibly useful for writing tasks, are generally accepted by the public, and are a good fit in the hand for just in case purposes.

In the end, I feel that pen defense should be restricted to pressure point defenses. The pen can indeed be lethal if used the wrong way which I feel is the wrong way to train and plan. However, there are many ways to use the pen as a force multiplier to give just enough pain to force your attacker into an unbalanced stance where you can knock them over and then get out of dodge. Grab their hand and then use your other hand to drive the pen into the weak spots around the shoulder, wrist, elbow, or top of the hand and you can easily bring someone to their knees without doing any permanent injury. What I'm trying to say here is whatever you plan to use, think about it carefully ahead of time and stay safe, folks.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Indeed.

...and done. Thanks:)

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

The pen is mightier than the sword... and a heck of a lot easier to write with!

ManVsLawn, RogerStenning and Schnurri like this.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I would "hold" my pen(s) in such high regard that they would remain IN my pocket in the unlikely event that an arms-length physical confrontation would compel me to actually contemplate using such a diminutive device to defend myself.

ManVsLawn and RogerStenning like this.
  15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A mens' size pen of solid construction that tapers to a good tip can be very useful.

RogerStenning and ManVsLawn like this.
  16. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I would hold my pen just like I was using it to write with. As that's what I'd be using it for. To sign the forms releasing me from legal custody after using my side arm in a self defense situation.

Corgi, Puinsai and RogerStenning like this.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, agreed. I just don't care to be that close to anyone ESPECIALLY if I'm going to impart some modicum of bloodletting.

18. jmbriggs

jmbriggs Loaded Pockets

Depends on the pen. My SS Sharpie I would hold like a kubaton. The fisher space pen in my pocket ,if I could get the cap off in time, I would hold between middle and ring fingers like a knuckle spike. A Zebra or Bic pen I would toss because it would likely break if you tried to use it as a weapon.

19. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

:)

Bowman1911 likes this.
  20. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I'm with you there

Bowman1911 and Schnurri like this.