1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to Waterproof a Pair of Combat Boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by thegrouch314, Nov 26, 2016.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I've just picked up a pair of Grafters sniper boots and, although they say they're waterproof, in my experience that aren't usually totally waterproof.

Do you guys have any tips on how to improve the waterproofing, bearing in mind they're not full leather?

Thanjs

2. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

If they're not full leather then use nikwax cream or spray dependant on usage it'll need reapplying every so often but in my experience works well.

danogun likes this.
  3. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Another option is to check out waterproof, but breathable, socks such as Sealskinz or Dexshell.

5. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

kikaida likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sno-seal is also pretty nice. None of these products will seal the seams perfectly though.

hkusp9f likes this.
  7. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I use Mink Oil from amazon then add a spray of that waterproofing.

kikaida likes this.
  8. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

9. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Snow seal. Use a heat gun or hair dryer . That's if they are leather

10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I hate to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as a truly water "proof" leather boot (as in, standing in 8" of water for hours on end). There are boots with water repellant liners such as Gore-Tex and the like, but nothing truly water "proof". This is even more true when you add any kind of fabric into the equation (i.e. nylon, cordura, etc). The mechanical action on the boot from walking will quickly break down most water tight seals on these types of boots

Some of the recommendations above are excellent, especially Sno-Seal (awesome stuff), and definitely do use a hairdryer. This will create a repellant barrier which will keep your feet dry trudging through muck, snow and an occasional few steps in water, but if you're going to be in standing water for a long period of time you need to be thinking about some kind of a rubber, urethane or neoprene boot.

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you want Sno-Seal to do a reasonable job with seams, you need to break out the hair dryer so that it liquifies, wicks in to the seams and regains it's solid consistency when you remove the heat. An old toothbrush to direct the Sno-Seal in both liquid and solid states also helps.

ATB,
    Sam

thatotherguy likes this.
  12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used heat last time I used Sno-seal and it worked pretty well, but at the end of the day no wax type sealant will provide a durable truly waterproof barrier on something that moves and is stressed as much as the seams of a boot imo. It works fine for most applications, but it's not perfect... you just have to be willing to maintain it and reapply the sealant when it gets leaky.
    When I treated my Estwing hatchet cover I hung the sheath on a recirculation control on a fireplace insert, so it was quite hot for quite a long time. I found it to be most effective for me in using Sno-seal but it's rather impractical with things like boots.

13. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Why do they have to be waterproof?

Genuine question :)

14. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Good question, I was wondering that as well. What would the OP be doing that need the waterproofing for? It would really help to know what kind of water exposure and the work or activity that he would be doing. I have a couple of Gore-Tex lined combat boots myself, but haven't really needed the water resistance, because the work I do and the activities I do don't really call for it. So water resistance is something for me that's nice to have, but I haven't really made use of it.

shmook likes this.
  15. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

Try beeswax. Make sure surface is good and clean. Apply layer. Let dry and just wear. It would be better to have overshoes on = dry feet ,socks.
    I was a mailman for many years. Warm dry feet is everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk