1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to travel with less

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Mr. Glass, Oct 14, 2017.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I have some from LL Bean (older version) packing cubes that have held up nicely.
    Red Oxx sells them, and while I haven't used them, all their other stuff is pretty solid, so I think their packing cubes would be too.
    I picked some up at the local dollar store to hold some items in my vehicle, and they have also worked well.
    Whichever you get, make sure you try different sizes for your various items and clothing.
    For years now, a packing cube has been my toiletries bag and I find it perfect for that role.
    I also keep one permanently packed with miscellaneous stuff (alarm clock, charging cables, flashlight, etc) thereby making my packing quick and easy -- usually just my clothes for the season.

Mr. Glass likes this.
  2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Packing cubes and compression bags will not help you pack less for the trip. Both provide organization and space saving to use a smaller bag. I use both and can find anything I need when I open my suitcase. I do encourage the use of both since over packing can be reduced with better organization. When I travel internationally, some airlines are very strict with carry on luggage by having an agent walk through the gate area tagging bags as oversized/overweight. I have never been questioned about my backpack even though it has exceeded the weight limits.

Mr. Glass likes this.
  3. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I have a full set of Eagle Creek Specter, Amazon prices are reasonable. I like the white Specter because it allows me to see what’s inside without opening the cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Glass likes this.
  4. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Here's something I never understood. Why do packing cube sets come in all the same color? I want a set with all different colors, so I can use a different color for each type of thing I pack... E.g. Blue for underwear, green for socks, red for shirts, etc. etc.

Seems like all you would need as a vendor to quickly be the top selling set on amz, is to mix the colors up...

Mr. Glass likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@_mg_: Coming from about 40 years of marriage... let's just say there is a certain segment of the population -- who do purchase a lot of these items as luggage accessories -- who INSIST on colors all matching up. Just look at the offerings for suitcases etc from the luggage companies!

I expect I best go and dig my asbestos coat out of the closet now...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

Packing cubes are harder to find but I see the Eagle Creek shirt folder at thrift stores all the time. I was at a Goodwill last night and saw three.

Chad

Mr. Glass likes this.
  7. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Funny, my wife of 14 years was quite happy for us to have the same suitcase, but in different colors...

I still just think it's a failure of marketing/sales to only sell matched sets. Seriously, who cares if they match -- are you trying to impress the TSA officers when they ransack your suitcase?

Mr. Glass likes this.
  8. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

J_C is 100% right about a folding suit bag being all you should need to go on a trip like you're discussing.

Start with a packing list. You're leaving for a trip tomorrow, so go pack your bags. Pack everything how you normally would and put it on the couch. Once you've decided that you've got it all "ready", then grab a pen and paper and inventory it. Sometimes you can't see how much nonsense you actually have until it's in black and white. On the contrary, sometimes seeing what you don't have can inspire you to fill a hole and remove some redundancy in the same exercise. Make your list, and then look at the stuff as you unpack.

-How many chargers are you taking?
    - Spare batteries
    -too many electronics
    -too much underwear/socks
    -too many layers for the climate
    -too much "snivel gear", i.e. things that are in no way required, but are carried for convenience

For example: my toiletries kit includes a normal tube of toothpaste, a tooth brush, a tiny "peanut" trimmer, a large set of nail clippers, a normal sized deodorant, a small emergency dental repair kit (can be a life saver if you/ someone breaks a tooth/loses a filling and weighs less than an ounce), and a comb. All of that is contained in an Eagle Creek Quick Trip toiletry bag that's ~3/4 full or less. If I weren't traveling for more than a week, i'd leave the trimmer at home. If I need something while I'm gone for weeks at a time, I purchase it, but generally I don't need anything. If I'm feeling saucy, I'll bring a bar of some awesome goat milk soap from JOS, but again, the hotel soap works just fine, or a 99 cent bar of irish spring from walgreens will do the trick.

I've seen co-workers that had toiletry kits that were easily 3x the size of mine, and took up the better part of a carry-on bag, and they were certain that they needed every kind of knick-knack.

You cannot have it all. If you want every whim to be addressed, then you'll have a lot of stuff with you. Traveling light is all about finding what /you/ need to do what needs to be done for each trip, and enough convenience gear to get you through it without wanting to set yourself on fire out of frustration.

Look into "bundle packing". I hate it, but a lot of business travelers swear by it. I'm fortunate enough to wear carhartts to work, so I just fold them like a normal heathen.

There's a notable personality who says "discipline equals freedom", and this is one of those cases.

Moshe ben David likes this.