1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to polish a blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hunley, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hunley

hunley Empty Pockets

I recently bought a Dremel 200 series and a polishing kit, and i was wanting to test it out on a cheap Colt knife, which has a black blade on it. It was very scratched up and beat on so i got out one of the tips and took all the black off the blade and I tried polishing that. I got a decent looking finish but i can't seem to get the mirror finish I am looking for. Does anyone have any experiance in this? Thanks in advance.

2. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

You'll need to go in several steps depending especially on what grit you started with when you removed the coating. Maybe like 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2000+, then maybe move to something like mothers mag polish. I don't know what kind of different grits you have in your set or what is available for the dremel. You can get a good result with some wet/dry sandpaper from Walmart and some time and elbow grease. It can be very time consuming you as basically trading out one scratch pattern for the next. IE you scratch the surface evenly with 600 grit leaving big scratches then you sand all of them away leaving the 1000 grit pattern, then you do the 1500 grit completely getting rid of the pattern left by the 1000, and so on. The finer the pattern the more polished it looks. You can also get different sticks of polishing compound (looks like big rectangular crayons); Sears sells some of them. You might try those instead of the Mothers Mag Polish or in addition.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Moved to the knives subforum.

:eek:o:

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Also, dont use the red dremel polishing compound, get yourself a bottle of Belgom Aluminium polish and put that on your cotton wheels. Its messy, very very messy (i always polish inside a box with holes on either sides for my hands and a little window in the top made from a CD case), but you'll have a mirror finish in no time.

5. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

Dremel felt wheel is rather small for polishing a wide folder blade. I use a cloth polishing wheel on an electric drill since I don't have the bench grinder.