1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to Keep Wave From Opening in Pocket?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by emrah, Jan 5, 2014.

1. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

So I think the pocket clip on the Wave is a great idea. However, I think it's "upside down" for me. When clipped to the pocket, the open ended "arms" or handles of the tool are facing up (and the pivot/plier head side is facing down).

The problem is, the tool tends to open on its own in my pocket from just walking around. Especially in say cargo shorts or something not tighter fitting in the pocket area like jeans.

How can I tighten up the plier pivots without making the blades too tight to deploy?

The plier head/handle pivot area has an angled ramp/flat spring type of arrangement. I don't know how to tighten that up and take the slop out so the handles won't "walk" and end up in an "L" shape half opened in my pocket.

Any help?

Emrah

P.S. Please don't say "use a belt sheath". I've tried and it's just not for ne

mhale1500 likes this.
  2. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

Waves shouldn't fall open, check your Waves frame for cracks around the hinges. I had one with a cracked frame that came open too easily. If it's not cracked you could try and tighten the hinge screws.

3. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

My wave doesn't fall open like that ... Maybe something is loose ... If you need a quick fix, could tie a pony tail holder around it (I'm married so they are everywhere) .. Another option rubber band, if everything is tight might could check the Leatherman warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItsHardToKnow and mhale1500 like this.
  4. mhale1500

mhale1500 Loaded Pockets

I have had this problem. I had a charge tti and it was noticeably worse when trying to pocket carry when compared to my wifes wave. I ended up sending my charge back and getting a wave for myself. It will open up but no so far as an "L" shape. I have noticed that it does spread apart slightly. More so if i have to reach in my pocket for something. I can easily knock it open. I wrote Leatherman, they said to send it back and they would take care it. I havent sent it back yet, as its not so bad i can't deal with it.

I also thought the clip was on the wrong end. Or maybe just the wrong side. I think on my wingman its on the arm towards the front of my pocket, (which doesnt matter on the wingman, cuz i know its not coming open on its own) but if the wave clip was on the handle towards the front of the pocket the pocket would hold the back on closed. If that makes any sense

5. mhale1500

mhale1500 Loaded Pockets

This was a good idea i think i'll try this, until it gets to bad and i'll send it back

antman157 likes this.
  6. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

It's not super loose. Just enough slop initially to spread the handles apart. Once it gets going, the weight of it slowly opens it as I walk (bounce, bounce, bounce...)

I have 2 waves and they both do this.

Emrah

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying my first Wave since late 2005 and never had that issue with it opening. I carry it everyday in my front left pocket using a pocket clip. Mine gets used at least a couple times a week too.

8. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Put something additional in the pocket to wedge it closed. A bandana, wallet, or Rite in Rain 3x5 notebook work well (back pocket)

9. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

Well, I've been carrying my second Wave and it doesn't do it nearly as bad.

Emrah

10. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

This had been a minor annoyance, but honestly, one of those little issues that I ignored for years until finally getting around to tightening the handle pivot slightly with a security Torx bit. Leathermen have always seemed to me as quirky in one way or another, none major. Maybe it's just me, but I find that kind of charming. It gives the tool "personality." :)

11. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Try slapping it in a pocket sheath with a light:
    [​IMG]

It's not a belt sheath (which I also hate), and the clip comes outside the leather so you can still clip it to your pocket. I've been carrying my Wave like this for somewhere around a year with no problems.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  12. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

You can try some axle grease or some other kind of thick lubricant on the pivot, but this seems unusual. Something may need tightening. I'd email leatherman and ask then for a suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Ya, thats all it needs. Just slightly snug the screws a little at a time till you get what you like. :)

keith1234 likes this.
  14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

What sheath?? ;)

All I see is a gorgeous knife!

15. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

oh.. uh.. ahem.... my bad... I just used my pocket dump from yesterday since it's the only pic I have with my new Zebralight SC52 in there.

This sheath, the KSF Adirondack (pictured with the EagleTac D25A Ti):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I soaked the leather and inserted the items, then put them in a vacuum bag overnight to wet-form the sheath. There's really nice retention on both the light and the wave. There's a nice chThunk when they fully seat.

16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I used to have a Charge Tti that did the same thing. They should have put the clip on the other side so that wouldn't happen.

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Or, carry it in your LF pocket. That makes OH opening somewhat awkward for righties and doesn't really help the left-handed, either. But the handle will stay put.

18. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

Yes, I've also thought if this and am trying it. But the lf pocket carries my phone. And you know how particular "we" can be: everything has a place and change comes slowly!

Emrah.

znapschatz likes this.