1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to conceal an expandable baton

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by austindavis1989, Mar 6, 2012.

1. austindavis1989

austindavis1989 Loaded Pockets

So I live in the great state of florida, which allows me to carry an asp baton as long as you have your CCW. I have a 16 inch airweight baton I would like to be able to conceal for times when I can't bring in a gun. Anyone have some suggestions on how to conceal a baton? Some specifics concerns are the following: I often tuck in my shirt, so concealing under an untucked shirt usually won't. I'm also not a big fan of pouches on my belt.

2. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I think the 16" baton is the smallest that ASP makes, so how about a belly band, like this: http://bellybandccw.com/images/B0048-BellyBand.jpg I think you could sew a horizontal elastic loop on this material and store the baton horizontally across your lower back. Another option: perhaps sew a pouch for vertical carry of the baton on the side of the belly band ... would either of those work?

3. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I'm interested in figuring something like this out as well. I was thinking of working a baton sheath in amongst the other pouches on my bag and kind of concealing it amongst the other tacticool, pouchy, strappy "noise". I certainly don't think I'd be carrying it on my person, unless it's so small that I could just tuck it into a pocket.

4. austindavis1989

My 16 inch one will fit into my pocket alright. About 1/4 inch is exposed, but its not bad actually.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Horizontal across your back seems like a bad idea. If you fell on it you could be in for more than an uncomfortable moment.

Font or cargo pocket would work depending on the collapsed length.
    Belly band might go either way depending mostly on the shape of your belly.
    Sleeve carry perhaps?
    IWB.

Wondering where you go that you can't take a pistol but a baton would be allowed.

6. austindavis1989

Sometimes I take my baton with me when I go to the bar, since guns are illegal at bars- I walk to the bars, so I can't leave it my handgun in the car. Now I take it with me to the bar not so much because I'm afraid I will get into a conflict at the bar (I'll walk away from a bar fight any day), but the walk to and from the bar is a little sketchy in some parts. Also I can't conceal and carry while I'm on campus, so I take my baton with me (its better than a knife imo, but i still have a knife). Now batons are also against school policy, just like guns, but I won't get arrested if I'm caught with a baton. Not to mention the baton is easier to conceal than the gun actually, now that I've given it some thought. My set up is to carry in the back pocket. Since I only have the 16 inch baton it fits just fine, only a small part is exposed, and if anyone asks I just say its a flashlight. To make the baton stays up right and on the side I want (outside of pocket closer to the hip) for both comfort and accessibility reasons, I've devised a simple pocket holster out of ductape. It's working out pretty well.

7. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

IWB if possible, but you might get a few, "is that an expandable baton in your pants or are you just happy to see me?" kind of remarks.

8. austindavis1989

I've tried IWB with just the baton itself, just not comfortable IMO. Maybe if I had a dedicated IWB holster for it, but then again I would also need that holster to be tuckable. I have not found such a product yet (accept for a modified belly band.) that last few days have proven the back pocket carry to be very useful.

9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Seriously, there isn't one good thing to be found in a bar or a nightclub.

10. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up the new ASP P16, it has a full metal body, with a "CCW" clip, IWB, inside a pocket, stuff like that.
    pretty cheap too, about $43.00 shipped.

If the clip is moved all the way to the bottom of the baton it completely disappears, kinda like the SOG FLASH 2.

Here's some literature:
    http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Patrol/News/2012/03/14/ASP-Ships-P12-and-P16-Concealable-Batons.aspx
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=asp+p16&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11188120744164193057&sa=X&ei=qF1jT8WfHaHm0QGOufSmCA&ved=0CGkQ8wIwCg

11. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

this may or may not help, but here in the UK (where most cops don't carry guns) some police officers have shoulder holsters that carry thier baton, cuffs, radio and so on.

something like this

while the whole kit might be overkill, you might be able to get something simmilar that just carries the baton.

12. asdf0r

asdf0r Empty Pockets

You can put it in your "groin line" if you can tuck your shirt twice. You tuck your shirt a bit loose, then put the baton and then tuck it again over the baton

13. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I carried an ASP-21 for years, legally as an Alarm Service Investigator, and most of the time just in my back pocket. I carried it for a while in an ASP nylon holster but just couldn't get used to it. The foam grips on the old ASPs hold the baton up in a back pocket unless you're wearing your pants gangbanger style with your crack showing, etc.

K Williams and bouncer like this.
  14. misterbigbo

misterbigbo Empty Pockets

I imagine your carry location might have something to do with how you'll deploy it. Maybe if you consider how many movements you'd need to draw it, expand it, then strike or block with it, you'd have a better idea of where you want it stowed. Off the top of my head, I'd want to cross-draw it somehow, maybe on my belt opposite from my dominant hand.

15. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It always went to the then primary striking position taught by ASP, Armament Systems and Procedures. On the striking hand/arm's shoulder. Chambered to strike in that way. I carried it in my right, rear uniformed pants pocket and it would come up and I would use my left hand to slap check the inside of my right forearm which extended and locked the ASP and then it went on top of my right shoulder. If I wanted it low profile, I would put it behind my right leg after opening and extension, walking on the street around buildings at night, etc. Over and over, just practice, practice, practice. I basically wore out my first ASP-21 on a Everlast Heavy Bag and from practicing fast openings, etc. Coincided with my first Arnis classes.

K Williams likes this.
  16. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

What about a Skinth P3, in your back pocket

K Williams likes this.
  17. K Williams

K Williams Empty Pockets

It looks like Survival Sheath Systems makes a shoulder rig...

[​IMG]