1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to check messages?

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, and Suggestions' started by imabanana, Aug 14, 2013.

1. imabanana

imabanana Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

In my profile box thing, it has messages, likes, points.

Its saying I have 1 message, but I cant seem to find any inbox and there are no messages on my profile page? Do I have to 'unlock it" as the B/S/T forums?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Lou_G
    • +4 Supporter

Lou_G Banned

The number of messages is the number of posts you have made, from what I can tell.

3. imabanana

imabanana Loaded Pockets

Ok ! the maths don't quite add up there, It would however work out if it was # of threads started?

4. imabanana

imabanana Loaded Pockets

I think I have figured this out, it seems to be number of posts, but its only counting in threads that someone else has started.
    Unless the introduction and FAQ forums don't count towards the post count.

Well its not a PM anyway, which was my initial Q, thanks Lou_G

5. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • The Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

"Messages" is basically your post count.

And yes not all forums count towards it, this has been done to discourage new members who just post 15+ "fluff" posts in the break room or the introduce yourself forum, specifically to gain access to the BST area.

Which is why it is a good idea to look at a members posting history before entering into a transaction with them.

6. imabanana

imabanana Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense.

7. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I find this whole conversation to be clear as mud. I still don't know how to access my messages.......

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Let's take another run at it.

Understandably, part of the confusion might stem from fact that message suggests, well, an incoming message waiting for you in an inbox somewhere. Nope. Our system software refers to posts made by a member as "messages." There are number of places you can view your current "message count;" that is, the number of posts you've made. *

When you're logged onto forum, should see box containing your stats at page upper-right. You'll see on mine, I've made 5330 posts (messages).

xbanker1.jpg

Or, hover mouse pointer over your user name on navigation bar, and in the drop-down, select YOUR PROFILE PAGE.

xbanker2.jpg

Your current message stats display along left margin.

xbanker3.jpg

* Note that your message (post) count might be slightly lower than the actual number of posts you've made. Why? Posts made in certain sub-forums, e.g. INTRODUCE YOURSELF, do not increase message (post) count.

In keeping with our theme of being different ;) , messages sent to you, by other members, including staff, are known as personal conversations (aka PCs or just conversations). On some other forums, known as private messages (PMs).

You're alerted that you have new conversation(s) (or new reply in existing conversations) by a red "flag" displayed above your INBOX link on navigation bar. I have 18 active conversations (new conversations or replies to existing conversations). Click INBOX link to view conversation list.

xbanker4.jpg

Please ask if other questions. We aim to help!