1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to carry a MT when it's not allowed...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jazzbone1031, Jan 10, 2016.

1. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Follow the policies of your job. If no blades are allowed, then I suggest you follow their policies, period. Or find another job. None of us here are gong to help you circumvent the rules. We always do what is right.

2. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I used to work for a big box store that did not allow employees to carry knives...The best part of it was the fact that my job was to sell firearms and knives to customers! I carried a knife anyway, so did most of the managers and other employees and no one batted an eye but YMMV. If they are very strict, I would recommend not carrying a blade, or carry one but keep it on the down low.
    --Ben

3. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Ok so I'm kind of late to this post but i wanted to offer some ideas to the OP and anyone else that has to deal with this. As stated you should abide by your companies policy no matter what your position is since its whats giving you an income. Now you can always try to as them to reconsider but I'm going to assume thwy are doing it for liability issues and don't want to deal with injured employees.
    On to my suggeations, now i work in a hospital here in NYC part-time and they have a no weapons policy which i follow. I do carry an old school pocket knife but that isn't really considered a weapon anymore atleast they're not supposed to but we know the world we live in. That actually stays in my edc bag or jacket as well as my gerber dime while i work. So here's the idea if you need a full sized MT like a lot have said just get a bladeless one. If not i can suggest a leatherman tread. I keep one not only because it looks cool and i have gotten compliments on the train for it but it also has basic tools and even has a small box cutter. Next up blade alternatives, first suggestion is what they do at my part-time. Try and use a small painters tool or better a folding one. I personally use a glass scrapper but with steel blades try and use plastic blades they are not too bad and will get basic cutting tasks done. Sorry for the long post, I just dont feel like anyone should have to hide their edc. Like our challenge coin says omnia paratus, ready / prepared for all things. You should be prepared for any situation even if its your job creating the obstical, also allows you to get a little creative with your edc. Anyway ofcourse i would speak to someone in charge of the policy before trying my two ideas or one you come up with.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. Sharp Knife

Sharp Knife Loaded Pockets

I have only gone without to get on airplanes, or to enter court rooms. I won't do so for any other reason. I am tired of people enacting rules to try to force men to be sheep.

5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I work in a school and often times it's easier to take care of things yourself than wait for maintenance. So, I have a mini-prybar, folding scissors, a LM PS, and a strap cutter in my on person carry. I also have needle nosed pliers and medium sized scissors in my bag. The prybar and LM Style PS are good for unjamming lockers, and the scissors and strap cutter are good for getting the straps on the boxes of copy paper and opening packages of paper.

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree with those that have asked if you're willing to risk getting fired over it.

In your situation I'd consider the following options for tools, listed in roughly ascending order of difficulty on your part:

-Find a bladeless multi-tool you like. Gerber and SOG make one each, and Leatherman used to have the knifeless Fuse if you can find one. There's a bunch of bladeless small tools.
    -Buy any SOG you want and perhaps a spare non-blade part and remove the blade, swapping in washers or another tool to take up the slot. SOG sells parts direct and parts swapping doesn't void the warranty.
    -Buy a beater used Wave and cut off the blade or buy a couple of the correct size of security Torx bits and remove the blades. Make sure you Loctite the screws when you put it back together. Voids warranty but you won't have to compromise with a different tool.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I think if you're going to go with a knifeless multi-tool, especially if you remove the blades from a multi-tool, it's part of your responsibility to make sure the people around you know what it is and why you carry it. I'm not necessarily saying clear it with your administration first (though that's a good idea to CYA so you don't lose the job), I'm saying clear it with the people you work with closely. In terms of responsibility, you need to make sure people understand why you carry it and why they should carry it or something similar too. Even with my LM Style PS, I've gotten some odd comments because people expect multi-tools to have that knife ability. You just have to educate people sometimes, especially in places like schools where just a hint of something is enough to freak people out.

8. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

If I had to go with a blade less multitool I would strongly consider the new Rebar that LM is introducing. The blade is replaced with scissors.

That and a small paring knife from the kitchen/cafeteria/my lunch bag if I needed something sliced (apple, tomato, etc) would do me well while I looked for another job.

[​IMG]

Water-Rat and thatotherguy like this.
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I had no idea LM was making a knife-less rebar, thanks for that. I think many employers might have an issue with the saw, however. Plus, they're still going to bug you about it because there's no way anyone can tell it doesn't have a blade.

c99camper and Tony Sal like this.
  10. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

Maybe it's just me, but a multi tool.....??? Really they won't allow a multi tool.....I'm pretty sure that a pencil, pen, fist, or pretty much anything in that building could do more harm to another than a multi tool. I personally would carry it anyways but that's just me. I've never worked a corporate job and am against them because of their bureaucratic policies. I know...I'm a downer. Sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

It's easy enough to show them that it has no blade.

If they are bothered by the saw I don't know what to say. Probably bye, on my way out the door with my stuff. Life's too short to endure such stupidity.

12. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

Just my experience.. was no blades because the damage to goods would add up over the year. It was so closly watched that they would freak out over double bagging. Policy was no box cutters, knives, or any tool that has sharp enough edge to damage products. Every one used a dud key to bust the tape or had to have manager on shift use sicors to cut straps with the a check out sheet. They could care less some body saw a blade and was concerned.

c99camper likes this.
  13. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

Oh frogot to mention i carried a blade just never used it openly, i went though all the red tape i could to have thing cut just to cause as much headache as possible on them, yeah i could had used my knife to cut twine or what not in 1/2 a sec none the wizer but hey its their policy so y not drag a 1/2 sec problem into a 30 min ordeal

14. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

Working in manufacturing I understand this reasoning behind some restrictions. Joe Bob accidently slicing into one box of gaskets, wiring harnesses, etc doesn't seem like a huge deal until a fire or failures prompt a recall or lawsuit. Now imagine if Joe Bob or he and Stevie Bob cut too deep a couple of times a month. That adds up quickly and could be financially catastrophic to a company. Instances like this happen every day, to both small and large manufacturers.

That being said, there's no reason not to use a policy like my employer has: carry what you want (within reason), but use the supplied tools for the job. Get caught using a personal blade for something job related and face the possibility of discipline or termination.

15. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

Agreed

16. fatnerd

fatnerd Loaded Pockets

like they say, concealed is concealed.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

To say nothing about the reamer or the can opener...! The :censored: are just idiots!

Moshe ben David