1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to carry a MT when it's not allowed...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jazzbone1031, Jan 10, 2016.

1. jazzbone1031

jazzbone1031 Loaded Pockets

Ok. Some good suggestions. It is, in fact, the blade they have a problem with. I, for whatever reason, didn't even consider a bladeless MT. Thanks guys!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe just carry a pair of scissors.

It works for TSA screenings.

:giggle:

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

You have 2 options. The bladeless multi tool will solve all of the problems. If you combine it with something like a niteize doohickey, you'll be able to open packages.

If you "sharpen" the doohickey (or similar) just a bit, it'll be better at opening boxes but still probably won't trip their "that's a knife" alarm. A rescue knife or seatbelt cutter would also give you the common capabilities, other than actually cutting/slicing things and might make the cut (pardon the pun).

Alternatively, you could just carry a MT. Yeah, be prepared to lose your job over it, which is a decision you'll have to make. But as long as its policy and not laws....well, I've done it. More often than not when I've encountered those policies. My personal line is not doign anything that would jepordize my carry license.

I'm lucky in that I have mostly lived and worked in places that are somewhat rational. They have mostly understood that regardless of corporate policy, as long as you're not actually threatening/scaring people and using it responsibly, nothing goes wrong.

But...that depends on WHY they have that policy.

If it's an ideological thing, you're in more danger.

If it's an insurance thing, it largely boils down to "don't be a problem, and you're financially responsible for your own consequences", which is how it's been at all of my jobs.

In (private) high school, my chemistry teacher kept getting in trouble for giving us bic lighters for some of the experiments and turning a blind eye to the few of us who would occasionally use a Vic Classic instead of the "approved" letter openers for certain things that really did call for a better blade.

Her response was to take the principal on a tour of the lab and give him small demonstrations of the sheer harm and devastation that our lab supplies could cause, things that would cause permanent damage to the building and kill or maim a person in seconds. Then she asked why she could trust us with all that stuff but not a 1" knife or a lighter.

Like I said, I've largely dealt with rational people. He told all the complainers to get over themselves.

The worst thing that ever happened in that lab was when my partner and I spilled about a litre of 12M NaOH all over our work station and the floor. I used my knife to open an air hole in a bottle of vinnegar and doused the spill. She saw the knife. She saw what happened. When I told her, expecting to be in trouble, she tossed a piece of litmus paper in it, saw that the acid has neutralized the base very well, and said "what are you bothering me for? Clean it up and start the experiment over."

Some people will surprise you.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

Water-Rat and jazzbone1031 like this.
  4. KravenTheHunter

KravenTheHunter Loaded Pockets

Gerber MP600 bladeless with the aforementioned niteize clip. They built that MT specifically for work environments with "no knife" policies. It weighs as much as your wave, is full size, has thicker plier tips and you keep your job because you're complying with work policy.

Gary Gross likes this.
  5. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

I just carry one regardless, but that is just me and if I'm honest the job I was in at the time was stupid anyway to the point they wouldn't let you carry a small multitool, but would let you wonder around a dusty pill factory plant room with a tie on and no anti static gear . My philosophy has always been to help people when they need it so if that involves breaking a rule or 2 go for it. (Again the above statement is what I did and still do if your not comfortable doing it then obviously don't)

6. zimchaz89

zimchaz89 Loaded Pockets

I don't get it...you want to carry covertly...but there is no way to use it covertly, so first time it's in use your cover is blown...pretty pointless if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

akbound and Tony Sal like this.
  7. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

This restriction is common to many, many retailers. I happen to have a part time job at one where such a restriction exists. When they first told me of the policy I just kind of chuckled because whole place is full of weapons because we sell multitools, knives, axes, machetes, hammers, and handy lengths of pipe. For cutting we're limited to a specific, self-retracting utility type knife. I think it's more of away to keep insurance costs in check than anything.

Have been any number of occasions where having a multitool would have allowed me to assist a customer more quickly. If I need pair of pliers or a screwdriver I have to go find them. There's nothing I'm doing that's going to change that and if the customers have to wait a little longer, that's just the way it is.

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

This is the correct answer.

Better yet, find an employer whose head isn't up their rear and has no prohibition against MTs. :)

moostapha and Tony Sal like this.
  9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

But dont run with them- another rule!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

+1 for bladeless multitool/one-piece multitool to have the tools you need without violating company policy.

if you really need a blade, you could ask for more details on the policy and suggest changes. if limiting who can use/carry bladed tools limits the ability to help customers or otherwise do the necessary work because there aren't enough blades/authorized blade users to go around, then definitely let your leaders know so they can consider changing the policy.

Tony Sal and KravenTheHunter like this.
  11. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

For national chains, most of the decisions are made at the corporate level by folks who are more worried about next quarter's results rather than expedient customer service. Like most "public policy" decisions, they are frequently "dumbed down" because while you or I may manage not to stab ourselves when opening a box with a 3" blade but most of these companies aren't attracting the best or brightest.

Next time you're in WalMart look for one of their "approved" knives. The user has to squeeze to extend the blade and they have a retention cord plus a cute little belt holder. I'm sure it keeps lots of folks from cutting their hands and/or leaving knives of a shelf where a kid could find one.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

So yeah, as mentioned, even if you conceal it you will get busted as soon as you use it. However....I can tempt you to achieve that pick slip. I've shown this before, but its been a while.

[​IMG]

I don't have to hide my MT. I just hate having anything in my front pockets except for my EDC knife. Some type of serious quirk with me. Even money (bills or coins) is verboten.

Tony Sal likes this.
  13. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

What do you have on the other ankle?!!

14. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

A Glock 26, which I do take out and secure in my car before entering my work building because it is a "Gun Free" zone. Hopefully, a new proposed law here in TN will pass that makes business owners liable for damages done to an individual who would otherwise be allowed to defend themselves with a firearm.

I keep the holster on as I rearm as soon as I get in my car. As I have to dress "business casual" every day, ankle carry is the only way I can conceal carry unless I go for a "deep carry" option which is more "mehhh" than ankle carry.

Tony Sal and NKlamerus like this.
  15. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Thought so! Another 'bad guy welcome zone' would LOL but it's sad not funny- be safe TN bro....

16. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to envision that lawsuit. You bring in a bunch of "experts" to try to prove what you might have done?

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. Gadgetman7

Gadgetman7 Loaded Pockets

A bladeless tool works. Leatherman made a knife less Fuse that you can occasionally find. I hate these stupid rules but unless you're willing to get fired for a "weapons violation" live with it or leave. Use their training program and as soon as you get enough experience find a different job.

Sent from Tracy Island

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

where i work has the same (stupid) rule (i've already multiple discussions with people there about how just about anything there can be used as a "weapon"), but i carry my wingman (front, left pocket) anyway. i also carry my bm grip (front, right pocket). plus i have a sak fieldmaster in my edc bag and a micra on my keychain. so at any given time i have at least 4 blades within easy reach.

does it mean i could get fired? sure. but it's not a job i'm really all that concerned about since it's part-time.

obviously i'm not telling you to say, "screw the rules" and carry one anyway. but with quite a few knife-less multitools out, you should be able to find one that suits your needs pretty well.

Tony Sal likes this.
  19. hibby

hibby Loaded Pockets

Some building sites in the UK will not even let you take a utility knife on site now. Some have said auto retracting blades are fine but most of us that actually use tools know that can be more dangerous than a fixed blade when it comes to anything more than opening a box.

20. Cmath

Cmath Loaded Pockets

Like mentioned by many, a bladeless MT is your best bet and there are many options to choose from. Sure, you could deep carry your wave or any MT, but the first time you use it you'll be compromised. That kind of seems pointless.. If your deep carrying a blade as a defensive tool, in the highly unlikely chance you'll need it-it would make sence. If it's something you'll need on a daily basis at your job, just stick by the rules set in place or find other employment. Luckily, I do not have such restrictions and can carry just about anything I want, besides my firearm while on the clock.