1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to Business Casual EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by tebore, Nov 22, 2011.

1. tebore

tebore Empty Pockets

I'll admit I haven't been on EDC forums very much as a poster. More as a lurker, I used to be really active on CPF.

I graduated post secondary about two years ago and went in to an IT related field then left it to be in more of an office setting.

I find what I wear or wore affected what I could or did EDC.

Before: T-shirt + Cargo pants
    HDS EDC
    Wallet + Zebra micro pen+pencil kit
    Benchmade knife
    SAK Handyman
    iPhone
    USB Key

Now: Dress shirt and pants
    Wallet + Swisscard + zebra micro kit
    iPhone

How did you cope with the changes over the years? I found myself going more from belt + holsters to stuffing my wallet. I replaced the SAK with the Swisscard Lite while not a full SAK I found it still does 90% of the jobs. The problem I have is the light. I don't really want to just trust key chain lights but it's so hard to carry a bulky light like the HDS and not make it look like I'm really excited to see the people at work.

Guys please share some stories and ideas.

2. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

When I had a sedentary job I would have an Arc AAA on a breakaway paracord lanyard around my neck for admittedly infrequent and reserved use (e.g. power outage while at the toilet). Having to demote an HDS is tough. I don't suppose anyone makes covert tactical dress pants :<

3. tebore

tebore Empty Pockets

Hmm now that's an idea....

I have a collection of the HDS lights included the super rare U85 from the original run. Not being able to carry my HDS EDC makes me uneasy, I got everything else in my EDC arsenal figured out except for that little guy.

4. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

Blackhawk makes the TNT tactical not tactical pants. I have a few pairs and love them. They are a great edc friendly pair of khakis.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Mini pocket organizer or a P7

6. tebore

tebore Empty Pockets

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while what's a P7 I tried to search but not enough terms.

The mini pocket organizer is a good idea. I sorta have my wallet (Big Skinny) set up that way. It has a small zip lock baggy with a large size bandage I figure combined with the Swisscard scissors I can cover large and small cuts and anti septic wipe.

I've tried clipping my benchmade to it but we'll see how well the Big Skinny holds up to having a benchmade clipped to it.

It's the bulk of the HDS that I can't seem to get over. I'm thinking of a horizontal holster and clipping it near my ID badge and people won't notice.

I'm really digging the Swisscard lite.

7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So I've made the full transition to business casual. Once upon a time I carried my big Tumi card wallet, iPhone on the belt (Otterbox), knife of the week clipped in my right pocket with my keys, SAK and Leatherman Serac 2 light in the left, and pen and paper in the back pocket. I've since changed things up or streamlined them if you will.

These days I carry a Colonel Littleton card wallet with only the things I need. I also stopped carrying two knives and since I rather have too much knife than not enough, I dumped the SAK for a single larger clip carried knife. The light is small and I still use it. Also, there are plenty of very small, but powerful pocketable light available. I dropped the pen and paper as I can use the iPhone for notes or just take a picture of it.

So my advice is keep it simple. Think about the things you carry and ask yourself "Do I really need to carry it on me?"

8. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

The blazer is your friend.

9. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I have my hds at all times clipped in my left front pocket, if you think it's too bulky, your pants may be a bit too tight. :) I never notice it at all. But maybe you need a aaa keychain light.

10. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

I carry my HDS clipped in the pocket of Brooks Brothers and Vineyard Vines chinos all the time, but typically I have a AAA light on my loose in the pocket.

11. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

12. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

13. HybridMomentsPass

think about what you just said
    tactical.....dress pants
    now imagine a handsome man sitting on his couch drinking egg nog looking at his computer and shaking his head in a dissapointed 'no' way. Thats me.

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Who told you you're handsome...all mothers say that.;D

15. HybridMomentsPass

I've not spoken to my mother in over 15 years, so that aint it.
    Nothing wrong with a little confidence :)
    Its not like I am claiming to be a Calvin Klein model or Jude Laws twin brother or something. Just handsome.

16. Werewolf32

Werewolf32 Loaded Pockets

I've had to adapt my EDC over the last month at a new job. Like the OP, my previous jobs were along the casual dress side of things, whereas now I wear a suit every day.

My jeans-to-work EDC allowed me to carry my wallet, notepad, handkerchief, pen, Victorinox Pioneer, Fenix LD10, a spare AA battery, my keys, my phone, and Leatherman PS4 all in my trouser pockets. Now that I have to wear a suit I've done the following:

Suit trousers:

-handkerchief
    -Spyderco Grasshopper
    -Keys with small whistle
    -Streamlight Microstream
    -Phone

Suit jacket:

-Wallet
    -Pens
    -Notepad
    -2 AAA batteries
    -Leatherman PS4

Am I as prepared as I was wearing my jeans? No. However, I am able to keep the essentials (knife, flashlight, whistle, handkerchief) on me at all times in my pockets in a low profile manner and keep all the other stuff near by in my jacket.

I should also mention that I don't even have the luxury of bringing a bag with me either, unlike previous jobs, due to the security restrictions in place at my workplace. I could bring one but it has to be searched or left with security, so it's much faster to go with on body carry only.

17. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I find my edc needs met at work by just downsizing the items I carry. AAA light on keys, Spyderco dragonfly dropped in the pocket, and a Leatherman squirt on a p7 suspension clip made by Tec accessories. I don't know of anyone addressed what a p7 was when you asked. Continue to fine tune what your needs are and things will work out. You could keep your HDS in the car so its close enough for comfort. ; )

18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the delayed response. A P-7 is a pocket suspension clip you can attach things to so they hang vertically in your pocket instead of sitting in a wad at the bottom. The Forum Store is currently out of stock but they are available many other places. Seems a bit spendy for what it is but well worth it IMHO. I have short lanyards on mine to make it easier to remove from the pocket.

There is at least one thread around here about people making their own out of hacksaw blades and such.

[​IMG]

19. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I work in IT, my difference is I work in a small consulting shop with lots of mechanical customers (auto shops, dealerships, tractor repair, etc.) so I get to wear jeans and a nice polo everyday. Now I will suggest the bag approach. Having a laptop and cables and external drives means carrying a satchel, which means extra pockets for organizers and other EDC items. On myself I just carry my wallet in right rear, SAK and keys in left front, P3AT in right front. Flash light is sometimes on me, sometimes in my bag.

20. tebore

tebore Empty Pockets

Some of you guys suggested I put my HDS EDC in my car. Way a head of you. I have another HDS EDC B60LE with a 2AA tube in the car. (They're like Lays you can't have just one)

I think I might have to go to an AAA light *cring* and shelf the HDS.

As for packing my EDCs in to a pack. I have no problem with that. I've always done that kind of set up where I have all my big heavy gear in a backpack. The backpack has a detachable pack that held a first aid kit and more important EDC items (the less important eg laptop stay in the backpack). The more important items like bandages, Swisscard (insert your MT here), smart phone and flashlight has always been on my person.

So the biggest stuff is in the car, and it goes down from there. It's like setting up a base camp and then going lighter and lighter.

The problem I'm facing is really at the last tier of the items that should be on you all the time. I still carry a good amount of stuff in my work bag but I'm on my feet for a good part of the day in other people's offices leaving my bag and jacket at my desk. Are you really prepared if the gear isn't on you or at least close enough?