1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to attach a metal plate to a nylon patch

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Thukydides, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

Hi

Is there a save way to attach a metal plate (actually a flat on the back pin made out of tin without pins or anything) to a cordura velcro (to attach it like a patch on my Goruck)?

Any experience with this? I asked already a shoemaker, he said no.

Cheers

2. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

Have you tried the adhesive-backed Velcro? That seems the obvious solution...

3. Thukydides

Do you have a link of the product you mean? The plate has a rather small design (it won't span the whole black velcro patch).

4. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I'd bw interested in quality self adhesive velcro, too. I tried several off the shelf types to put it on truck tarpaulin to get closing flaps in DIY bags and wallets without needing to sew it in. First impression was fine but then the glue transformed into a gooey mess in sunlight or warm temperatures when carried in the back pocket and attracted a ton of lint. The velcro on the flap even shifted around while the empty messenger bag was hanging in a warm room for a few days. A total mess with glue everywhere. Very hard to clean.

I'd rather buy some quality glue and glue your lightweight item directly on regular velcro.

If anyone knows self adhesive velcro that does not suck, I'd be highly interested.

5. Thukydides

I somehow doubt that it will glue to regular cordura velcro for very long. :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

As long as its not subjected to prolonged or very high heat, I'd think 3M adhesive velcro would work for a patch on a pack...although without some form of "mechanical or physical attachment" as well, I don't think it would last a long time if you peel it off often.

I'd look into small rivets in addition to the adhesive, you would want whats called "micro rivets" or "micro pop rivets" Google will lead you to many options to buy.

7. Thukydides

The adhesive won't fit anyway because my pin has the shape of a prehistoric T-Rex. :) Turned out the postal handling bent the pins out of shape (I thought about removing these with an iron saw and sand paper). But the seller will send me a replacement and I probably will stick the pin trough the GoRuck patch cushion (although I'll destroy my GoRuck permamently by doing so) and fasten the pin from the inside of the upper pocket with a pinlock.

8. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

What kind of metal? Will a Neodymium magnet on the inside hold it in place?

9. Thukydides

The maker says the pin is made out of tin.

10. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

You could trim sew on velcro to the pin shape/size and use 2 part epoxy to fasten the 2 together.

GoBliNuke likes this.
  11. Thukydides

What do you mean by trim sew? Cutting the velcro to the size of the pin (rather small)?
    Will 2 part epoxy really last?

12. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Yes I mean to cut it down to size, using sew-on velcro. I've seen 2 part epoxy last for many years on a variety of things including cars.

13. Thukydides

Okay, maybe I try this. Thanks. How to cut the remaining bent pins away?