1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to add some GID to my little light.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Yek4, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

Hey everybody, I just got an Inova X1 and I really really like it. For it's size, it is really bright and feels very solid. I'm happy with it. :)

That being said, today I was outside in the pitch black darkness and I was using the light with the tactical switch (vs. constant on) and I dropped it. I had a hell of a time finding it again and I had to search on my hands and knees to finally locate it.

I've seen other people add some sort of glow in the dark element to their lights and I thought that that would be perfect in the scenario.

There isn't an easy way to access the reflector in this light (to add GID paint?) and I don't want to perform surgery to take it apart. What are your other thoughts.

2. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

Hello! :)

there are lights around that have a slot for a tritium vial, which I assume your talking about, if your light doesn't have one, you could attach a small tritium pendant to it with a splitring orso, the other thing that I can think of is the glow in the dark powder from glowinc, but you said yourself that you dont want to take it apart, you can also add some rubber GITD rings around the tube..

hope this helps somewaht:)

3. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

You could also get some GID paracord and attach that to the lanyard. I did find this http://www.mfiap.com/halo/glow.htm not sure how well it works, but it looks cool.

4. happygypsy

happygypsy Loaded Pockets

I read that tritium vials are radioactive... Is anyone else worried that could be dangerous? I keep a light in my pocket or around my neck 24/7 and I'm thinking that kind of long exposure could be harmful!

5. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

search.
    You'd have to deliberately break open hundreds of the small tubes and ingest everything inside for there to be any noticeable effects from radiation.
    They're safe(enough).

6. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

could get some gitd O-rings here to throw around it

7. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

It's totally dangerous, I saw one time that this one Dr. had to use a set of robot arms to controll it. It got out of hand and the robot arms fused to his spine. Luckily Spiderman was around to save the day...

Sorry, just had to do that.

8. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

Ordered some o-rings, I'll post a pic when they arrive.

9. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

This is my solution, good for diferent types of light.

First I glued a 1.55x5mm blue tritium vial on a lanyard's clip:

[​IMG]

then for added protection I wrapped a piece of Scotch Magic tape around it:

[​IMG]

I keep the light on my nightstand and I find it very easily in the darkness. There's the advantage that I can change the light as often as I like but still have the tritium vial with it.

Oh BTW, I sleep with a Traser on my wrist ....

10. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

Got an update for us.

I ordered a 5/8" o-ring from lighthound but it just doesn't seem to fit right in the grove between the tailcap and the flashlight body itself. Slips out very easily when tightened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also bought some glow in the dark beads from lighthound to put on the paracord lanyard if nothing else worked, but they suck. After charging for a good thirty seconds, they stay bright for two or three seconds then dim very rapidly until they hardly glow. So I'm not satisfied with that solution either.

[​IMG]

What else can I do?

11. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

I would love to add some sort of GID part to my Quark AA2 and Fenix PD30+. Maybe an o-ring like that is the way to do it.

12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Clear heat shrink tubing (available at RadioShack) would offer more protection.

Okay, I'll bite.... Why?!

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you don't want to go the tritium route, go to candlepowerforums and look up member andygold. He makes cheap ($3±) GITD vials that will easily glow all night with just a few minutes exposure. I had one on a Fenix P2D at one time and it would still be glowing in the morning. It would just get charged from the lights around the house!

Get a medium green vial (don't even think about the blue) and attach it to the end of your paracord lanyard. It will initially glow quite brightly for the first hour or so, then it will fade very slowly over about 12 to 14 hours. It does not need much exposure to charge.

I honestly consider andygold's fobs to be the only legitimate alternative to tritium.

14. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

I'll look him up, thanks!

15. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it is practically impossible to get RadioShack products here in Europe.

When I showed my lanyard on another forum someone came up and told me that the radiations from the trit will surely kill me. So I decided to add from the beginning that I don't believe this and even I sleep with a Traser ....

16. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

I sleep while wearing a trit watch as well, I don't keep a clock at my bed stand. Tritium's beta and alpha radiation cannot penetrate the glass vials or even your skin, it is only dangerous if you ingest it.

17. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

18. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

I suggest something with a lanyard option, like the tritium discs (can be tied to a lanyard) or the keychain fobs that hazna mentioned. My main reason is, if the lanyard is on your wrist then the need for GITD is not needed since you won't drop the light, but it will also be bright enough if you wake up and need a little something to help you locate it on your night stand, it normally doesn't take much.