1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How This Light Silliness Started

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by xbanker, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I bought a 6d mag when I was about 10, still have it. I should have known then where it would lead.

2. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Mine started back in the 1980's with the cheap flashlights RadioShack would give away free with a coupon, just to get you in to buy a pack of batteries that cost more than the original price of the flashlight. I would go into the store get my flashlight and refuse to buy the batteries then go down the street into one of the what we called junk stores ( now today they are dollar stores ) and picked up a pack of alkalines.

3. Iolaus

Iolaus Loaded Pockets

Hmmm... those are relatively cheap.

One of the things I've appreciated about the Mag design (and the various generic knock-offs) is their ability to have the head completely removed and to act as a candle - illuminating a larger space than a directed beam. That has come in handy more than once for me. I've never investigated the options, being satisfied with what I've got. How do they compare on the "candle" aspect? Can they do that?

4. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I started with Maglights.
    I gave My brothers my old lights. except the little solitaire. I gave that one to a Friends son to get his edc started.

Thanks for stating this thread Dan it's been fun to read

Edit

When I was a yong boy I used 2D red plasitc flashlight. unknow model or maker it wasn't very bright but it took my abuse well and had a long run time.

5. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

when I grew up, behind the iron curtain, Maglites were science fiction

we used these made of soft aluminium (or tin?), the body closed (or failed to close) with a clasp and they were powered by big flat batteries that could have had "I will leak" written all over them because they inevitably did. Factor in an unreliable slide switch with momentary on function (now that was cool) and power output converging to zero and you will understand that we didn't have much fun lighting up the night

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I suppose these were WW2 designs that survived without merit in the plan economy of the east block ;D

6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Folks, don't feel too badly for Gergely ;D 'cause he's doing a heck of a job making up for lost time! :dance:

7. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

yup... with a little help from my EDCF friends :agree:

8. Mickey Holmes

Mickey Holmes Loaded Pockets

I do exact same thing with my maglite, keep it by my bed. I also started with maglites. And still have them.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

My first "real cool" light was the mini-mag in black. I thought it was too cool because it carried it's own backup bulb. So, it could be said that, it EDC'd its own backup. lol

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well xbanker, I went & got it. I looked for an hour, found lots of stuff that I forgot about, and then said to myself "I thought I put that were I could get to it easy". Thats the moment I realized it was in the cabinet over my workbench...right where I put it.

It had batteries in it when it was in storage and they got all corroded. I put it above the workbench so I could "deal" with it one day. I wanted to restore it. I guess theres no time like the present to get started. Soaked in some WD-40 after I took a couple of pics.

If anybody's got any ideas on where I can get parts or any tips on dealing with the battery corrosion, please let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has a momentary on switch, too!

[​IMG]

My Dad gave it to me. When I joined Boy Scouts. It had been his when he was in Boy Scouts. Actually he was my step dad but adopted me before I started high school. I engraved it, on the clear lens, with my initials(pre-adoption). It had a green and a red lens. I loved the pocket clip. I used to hang it on my belt. It was like having a brick on my belt:) You know, thinking about all this, I think I'll order that light everyone likes so much, that looks like a small version of it. It comes with a headband? I can't remember what it is. Anyone? Anyone?

11. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

^ That's a good looking old light.

I'm sure it's a Zebralight your thinking of.

A H600 I think

It reminds me of one anyway;D

12. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

SAKplumber, you can get a small can of "stuff"(not sure what it's called)* at auto parts stores that will dissolve most of the corrosion.
    The light looks a lot like the old angle head army lights, may be able to use parts from one of them. Take it to a paint store and have
    them match the paint if you're wanting to re paint the light.

*found it on Auto Zone's web site; it's called, strangely enough, "Battery cleaner". :doh:

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks JA! Thats the one!

Thanks IMWilson! Great ideas. I was tempted to soak in Carb Cleaner, but just soaked it in WD-40 to see if it would loosen up the tailcap. I'll look into a couple of those army lights. Its probably far gone enough that it will need parts replaced.

14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Oh, I had totally forgotten about these! They were pretty common on the other side of the curtain as well. I do believe they were made of tin/low quality sheet steel, as I remember that they had a tendency to rust. I must have gone through four or five between age tree and six.

Your pictures also bring back memories of those big flat batteries (i believe they were 4,5V). They did leak a lot, but the design made them useful for all sorts of DIY electronic projects, as it was very easy to connect wires to the large, flat terminals with paperclips or whatnot. And, oh, did you guys also dare each other to put your tongues on the terminals of a fresh one? Those were the days...

15. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

@Sungame haha we did lick them, like you now lick the 9V batteries (or is it just me?)
    electricity sure tastes sweet :))
    I also believe they were 4.5V, 3 single cells inside the big bodies. As far as I can remember we did use these for technical projects and such. Notice the paper (!) outer skin of the battery? I almost forgot that...

@SAKplumber I almost thought you were just joking :) Fenix and Sunwayman also sells angle lights

(btw just bought my first ZL, a 501 super-flooder like I always wanted, can hardly wait to try it :)) )

16. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Yeah, we also had 4,5V battery lights. Pretty similar, except they were plastic and usually had color plates (red and green or blue) you could slide in front of the lens in order to make them even dimmer and less useful. Considering the size of those 4,5V batteries, it's amazing how little runtime you got out of them.

And then there were various plastic 2D lights. Let's not talk about those.

My first "expensive" light was a Maglite Solitaire, which was totally worthless as it almost never worked. Then I found a 2AA MiniMag which was much better, I actually kinda liked it.

My first LED light was a tiny Victorinox SAK with a red LED. Then I got a Photon with a blue LED, but that was also worthless, because it always drained the batteries and never worked when I needed it. Then I got a Petzl Tikka and soon upgraded to Tikka XP and that was a great light. As a matter of fact, it's still a great light. Then I made my first online order from a different country and bought an Arc AAA-P and a Fenix L1T. And then I discovered CPF and, well, you know what that means...

17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

When I was working as a CATV technician, I always had a 2AA maglight. I was always disappointed at how dim it was in an attic or crawl space. When I was a kid I used to have those tiny disposable pen lights, that only had a momentary on; or those 2D cell Eveready lights, which were also extremely dim.

I really wish I was aware of the edc world when I was a CATV tech. The bright lights would have been extremely helpful. Plus those write in the rain notebooks would have been fantastic for writing signal levels on a pole, in the rain. Better late than never I guess.

18. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I am not so sentimental with my lights... My first maglite solitaire has been thrown away after a forgotten alkaline battery destroyed it with corrosive liquid. I also gifted my first "high power" (supposedly 700 lumens, about 550 OTF lumens) flashlight.

But I also keep another ~60 lights, so yes, I am, too, a flashlight weirdo ;D

:lolhammer:

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

You must be talking about the excellent Trustfire Z1 Cree XP-E-Q5 3 Mode 280 Lumen LED Flashlight w/ Memory: Gray in stock & on Sale for $16.59! w/ free shipping! right HERE:

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.trustfire_z1_led_flashlight_gray-30310

I traded for one of these awhile back....love it!
    Not sure that same outfit makes the AA version, but it's the Z2.

They are the Poorman's Zebralight, no doubt!

20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

My folder of flashlight bookmarks is getting bigger & bigger.